Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockwavrider

So I have connected the GPS to my SDS 200 and I know I have the option of running the full database, turning individual favorite lists on and off as well as having the nationwide database run at the same time.

I also know that there is the option of turning location services on and off for different sites throughout my favorites list.

(1) If I run the GPS and my favorites list but I do not have any location services in the on position will the GPS system still pick favorite lists to activate and listen to their components as I travel through those areas?

I have seen in the “Easier to Read SDS200” where it mentions what happens when location services are on versus when location services are off. But I’m still confused as to what happens with the GPS if I opt to leave location services off but the GPS is still actively tracking systems.

(2) My second question is this, if I do not have location services turned on, but I am traveling through a multi state area I have seen when the scanner stopped for a moment and loads a new state as I approach those borders what channels am I actually going to receive if I do not have location services turned on in any of my favorite list that may exist in those states?

I know under nationwide database there are multiple options everything from air shows to zebras, and there is one for public safety. If I leave public safety on and a couple other categories that interest me well those automatically bring up things like the local police, fire, EMS and state police systems in those new states as I travel through them?

Thanks for any assistance and clarification.

RBMTS

Question 1: No. If you have location service turned off for your favorite lists, they will not "auto" turn on and off based on your location. It is a manual on your part. They will either always be on or off at your choice regardless of location

Question 2: Occasionally the scanner will update if there is a major location change (similar to going across states). The full DB is location based and is not something you can turn on and off (like you can with favorites). In regards to part 2 of your question, if you select certain services to scan in the national DB (like civil air patrol, etc), they will update and change as you move locations ** IF ** you have that "service type" turned on in your settings (Police, Fire, Business, air, etc).

Hope this helps you.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Scanning Favorites Lists and the Full Database could be counter-productive. Anything that is in a Favorites List will also be in the Full Database.

The only exception would be is if you have configured some conventional frequencies in Favorites Lists as priority channels and are in Priority Scan Mode.

Back in the early days of the SD card scanners, on trips I would turn off all Favorites Lists and scan just the full database while on trips. As time went along, I got a little aggravated with this because it was getting "too much". Things like nationwide use channels, etc. would come up and just be noise, so I was hitting the Avoid button quite often. Also I would run across frequencies using NXDN, DMR, etc. and I did not have the upgrades to decode them, so all I got was noise..

I got around that by biting the bullet and made Favorites Lists, usually for state law enforcement and major cities, along the way. It did take a time investment though. (Those Favorites Lists had Location Control On).

Status
Not open for further replies.