SDS200 - GPS port pinout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Excellent. I was planning on doing the same thing as I ordered a couple of spare GPS' when I did my 536HP.

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
You can set the baud in the radio to match the module you are using. I programed the module to 4800 just to match industry standard.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Thank you, sir! I can make a patch cable for my RS232 Garmin puck if I decide to get one of these units. It currently feeds my 536HP and a Kenwood 700 APRS rig and works great with both.
Hello,

You will need a RS232 to 3.3 volt level converter.

73 Eric

cognetic

Premium Subscriber
Mancow, thank you for demonstrating the simplicity of this add-on and straightforward ingenuity to accomplish. Good on you!

Personally, I’ve find it increasingly frustrating and a bit insulting that Uniden does not include this feature as a stock component included in the box.

-cognetic

dfw1193

If you have a gps attached will it automatically update the scanner clock with the obtained accurate gps time? I ask because I bought a $17 gps off amz with free software and computer drivers and when my flex is connected to the same network I can use the gps on the network the flex is on to update the flex clock for digital modes requiring accurate time. Hmmm ... maybe in the next firmware update since gps code is already programmed in the sds200.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I got my SDS-200 today and went over to Micro Center to get a GPS module. I was surprised to see the Ultimate GPS Breakout module as the website said they were out of stock. I am planning to experiment over the weekend.
Adafruit Ultimate GPS Breakout - 66 channel w/10 Hz updates

I also got one of these to try interfacing to a RS-232 GPS. You need a module that can run on 3.3 volts and can deal with 3.3 volt logic levels.
Schmartboard Inc. RS-232 Module populated - Micro Center

73 Eric

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I wired up the Adafruit Ultimate GPS module yesterday and could not figure out how to test it. I thought "Autolocate" was connected with the GPS, but it is not. I should have read the manual! I really like the module and using the 1220 battery option results in very short time from power-up to first position fix. The sensitivity of the module allows me to use it on the top floor of a wood frame building with a rubber/wood roof. It is important that the module is receiving GPS satellites and sending a valid position. The module will send position information as long as it is powered up, but it will indicate the position is not valid when not receiving GPS satellites.

This morning I had time to sit down and figure stuff out. The lack of a status display does not help. I decided to use a RJ-11 jack on the finished unit, so I can just use a telephone cord between the GPS and the SDS-200. I soldered the 9 pin header and wired things up using the RJ-11 jack to a 4 pin connector.

I noticed the clock on the SDS-200 was one hour early before I started testing again. I thought I had set it to the correct time yesterday. I noticed the time zone was set to -6.0 instead of -5.0, so I wondered if the GPS set the clock yesterday. I changed the time zone to -5.0.

I also figured out a way to test it. I have a predefined location in my configuration for Plymouth Meeting in PA, so I set that as the location. The scanner loaded NJ, PA, etc..., and started scanning. I turned off the scanner and turned it on again. It loaded and scanned for Plymouth Meeting. I plugged in the GPS and got a fix in a few seconds. After about 10 seconds or so, the scanner loaded my local area. Success! I also think you can use the Save Location menu item and see what position is stored.

The time on the SDS-200 did not changed right away, but I noticed it was the correct time about 20-30 minutes later. So the scanner will use the GPS to set the clock.

73 Eric

phask

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I wired up the Adafruit Ultimate GPS module yesterday and could not figure out how to test it. I thought "Autolocate" was connected with the GPS, but it is not. I should have read the manual! I really like the module and using the 1220 battery option results in very short time from power-up to first position fix. The sensitivity of the module allows me to use it on the top floor of a wood frame building with a rubber/wood roof. It is important that the module is receiving GPS satellites and sending a valid position. The module will send position information as long as it is powered up, but it will indicate the position is not valid when not receiving GPS satellites.

This morning I had time to sit down and figure stuff out. The lack of a status display does not help. I decided to use a RJ-11 jack on the finished unit, so I can just use a telephone cord between the GPS and the SDS-200. I soldered the 9 pin header and wired things up using the RJ-11 jack to a 4 pin connector.

I noticed the clock on the SDS-200 was one hour early before I started testing again. I thought I had set it to the correct time yesterday. I noticed the time zone was set to -6.0 instead of -5.0, so I wondered if the GPS set the clock yesterday. I changed the time zone to -5.0.

I also figured out a way to test it. I have a predefined location in my configuration for Plymouth Meeting in PA, so I set that as the location. The scanner loaded NJ, PA, etc..., and started scanning. I turned off the scanner and turned it on again. It loaded and scanned for Plymouth Meeting. I plugged in the GPS and got a fix in a few seconds. After about 10 seconds or so, the scanner loaded my local area. Success! I also think you can use the Save Location menu item and see what position is stored.

The time on the SDS-200 did not changed right away, but I noticed it was the correct time about 20-30 minutes later. So the scanner will use the GPS to set the clock.

73 Eric

That has been the recommended way to check for years :)

You can add lat/lon fields to the display also.

Status
Not open for further replies.