SDS200 & GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

togo54

Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to verify that the scanner is actually seeing satellites when a GPS puck is connected to it? The puck I'm using does not have a status LED indicator which would show satellite lock. Handheld and automotive GPS devices that I've owned usually have a screen somewhere in the menus that shows what satellites the device is receiving a signal from.

Is there a way to verify that the scanner is actually seeing satellites when a GPS puck is connected to it? The puck I'm using does not have a status LED indicator which would show satellite lock. Handheld and automotive GPS devices that I've owned usually have a screen somewhere in the menus that shows what satellites the device is receiving a signal from.
It says GPS on the screen when you're picking up satellites.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Set the screen display to show the GPS info... like in this post (it will show the location co-ordinates when you have a satellite lock):

togo54

Premium Subscriber
Set the screen display to show the GPS info... like in this post (it will show the location co-ordinates when you have a satellite lock):

Guess I'll have to read the manual after all :)

Ummm, it says GPS on the screen when the puck is under the scanner. I put it under the scanner to see if the GPS on the screen goes away. It doesn't. This is indoors BTW.
As long as it says GPS on the screen it's connected. It is pretty sensitive and will work indoors. I've heard of people who have them under their car seats.

togo54

Premium Subscriber
As long as it says GPS on the screen it's connected. It is pretty sensitive and will work indoors. I've heard of people who have them under their car seats.
I'm trying my best to make sure that it can't see satellites just to see if the GPS on the screen goes away. Time to look for something thick and made of lead :)

togo54

Premium Subscriber
A one pound spool of solder sitting on the puck. Screen still says GPS.

Attachments

• sold.jpg
    sold.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 5

togo54

Premium Subscriber
Sitting on the puck had no affect either. Unplug the puck from the scanner and 5 seconds later the GPS letters disappear. Wait 5 minutes and reconnect the puck and the GPS letters show up within one second. No GPS acquires satellite lock in one second. Especially when indoors. So until I learn to configure the screen to show actual coordinates I'm going to assume that this puck only sees satellites when I allow it to see satellites.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Here is a way of verifying that your scanner is receiving GPS data and is responding to it.

1. Be sure you are scanning the full database.
2. Disconnect GPS device
3. Enter the zipcode of 90210 and watch the scanner load data for California/Los Angeles/Hollywood
4. Reconnect GPS, being sure it has a clear view of the sky
5. Watch the scanner - hopefully it loads data more appropriate to your current location.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
The spool of solder had no affect. Taking drastic measures now.
The "GPS" by itself on the screen does not indicate it's getting satellite data, just that it's physically connected to the scanner, that's all.

If you have your screen display properly setup to display all GPS data... a second label will appear in the data area in addition to the first "GPS" that says "No GPS" if it's connected, but not receiving satellite data.

If it is receiving data, you will see the co-ordinates as shown in the linked pic.

togo54

Premium Subscriber
The "GPS" by itself on the screen does not indicate it's getting satellite data, just that it's physically connected to the scanner, that's all.

If you have your screen display properly setup to display all GPS data... a second label will appear in the data area in addition to the first "GPS" that says "No GPS" if it's connected, but not receiving satellite data.

If it is receiving data, you will see the co-ordinates as shown in the linked pic.
I got that. Hence my "time to read the manual" comment :)

Status
Not open for further replies.