SDS200 help with display setting (filters)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I am trying to set just one thing on my screen. The FILTER option in display. Here is picture of how my display is set, to simple trunk. It shows my volume offset, and mode but I can't figure out how to get filters to appear. There is room for it right there next to "V-2". I looked in Sentinel and there is everything BUT a filter option. And I don't know how to set it from menu in radio. I prefer a simple look with only things on it I need to see. I have global filter option set to "normal" and individual system ones set at "wide normal". However I dont see much difference in these filters for some reason, whatever they are supposed to do. I just set my system at "wide normal" on a recommendation. Anyway if someone could help me with getting the filter icon to show.o_O87420

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
Well, for some reason only known to them, you can't have it just where you want it.

On the same line, where you presently have TGID and Service Type, you can fit the Filter Option, on the right hand side.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Well, for some reason only known to them, you can't have it just where you want it.

On the same line, where you presently have TGID and Service Type, you can fit the Filter Option, on the right hand side.
OK I guess it's one of those universal Uniden mysteries. But how do I go about FINDING the option? When I go into Sentinel to edit display, there are all the boxes you can fill in. And with all the selections FILTERS is not an option! From the looks of it you are limited on that particular line to only 2 things. I checked all the types of displays like simple/detailed conventional, trunking.....everything is available except filters! Sorry for the crappy picture but the pic shows all the choices you can put in those fields.......non of which is filters!:unsure:87446

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
That's the thing; it's just not there. Is not hidden anywhere else, no way to show it unless Uniden makes it available in a firmware update. It may be that, in the area of the screen you want that info displayed, Uniden did not provide enough real estate for the font size and character count needed to display filters info.

I fired up Sentinel and went looking for it. It's not there, it's not hidden, is just not provided in the menu of all the things that can be displayed in that particular sector of the screen.

Strangely enough, they do provide Unit ID Name as a choice. Those are long enough that they could fit Filter choice, as they already abbreviate those anyways.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
The only place I can see you have an option to display Filters, is right next to where you currently show "Service Type"

I know, it is not where you want Filters displayed but, it is your only choice for now.

Attachments

• Sentinel.JPG
    Sentinel.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 15

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
That's the thing; it's just not there. Is not hidden anywhere else, no way to show it unless Uniden makes it available in a firmware update. It may be that, in the area of the screen you want that info displayed, Uniden did not provide enough real estate for the font size and character count needed to display filters info.

I fired up Sentinel and went looking for it. It's not there, it's not hidden, is just not provided in the menu of all the things that can be displayed in that particular sector of the screen.

Strangely enough, they do provide Unit ID Name as a choice. Those are long enough that they could fit Filter choice, as they already abbreviate those anyways.
That annoying because I would think some of us would like a filter status in the display. OK well maybe the Uniden SDS400 will have room for the filter status and maybe even find a use for those jacks on front panel.:rolleyes:

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried Detailed Trunk?
Easier to do it on the PC via Sentinel. I would think, in detail trunk, you can mimic what's currently available in simple, just leave blank the info you don't need and try to place the filter choice next to the volume and see what it looks like.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Have you tried Detailed Trunk?
Easier to do it on the PC via Sentinel. I would think, in detail trunk, you can mimic what's currently available in simple, just leave blank the info you don't need and try to place the filter choice next to the volume and see what it looks like.
I will check that out......when I first got radio I set it to detailed trunk. But there was too much on screen. But maybe I can edit some of the things I dont need....good idea!

Ubbe

I just set my system at "wide normal" on a recommendation.
It's impossible to give recommendation for filter settings as it is highly dependent of the exact location where you use your scanner. If you have experimented a lot and come up with a perfect filter settings for each system, then a fellow scannerist a mile away might not be able to use that and need different filter settings.

If you are on the move with the scanner in a vehicle the only option are Auto and let the scanner find out the best setting, but it will slow down scanning as it will take a while to measure noise level and data errors and then switch between all filters to see which one that will give the best result. It's most cases it's probably wiser to run a fixed setting in a vehicle and only use Auto if you are scanning just one or a couple of different systems.

/Ubbe

phask

Premium Subscriber
It will only let you display it in detailed.

I have mine in the most bottom line on the left - FWIW, someday I'll change it as I use no filters.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
It's impossible to give recommendation for filter settings as it is highly dependent of the exact location where you use your scanner. If you have experimented a lot and come up with a perfect filter settings for each system, then a fellow scannerist a mile away might not be able to use that and need different filter settings.

If you are on the move with the scanner in a vehicle the only option are Auto and let the scanner find out the best setting, but it will slow down scanning as it will take a while to measure noise level and data errors and then switch between all filters to see which one that will give the best result. It's most cases it's probably wiser to run a fixed setting in a vehicle and only use Auto if you are scanning just one or a couple of different systems.

/Ubbe
Just from experimenting monitoring a P25 system, I dont notice any difference no matter what setting I put filter on. I ended up just leaving on "wide normal" from a recommendation.

Ubbe

Just from experimenting monitoring a P25 system, I dont notice any difference no matter what setting I put filter on. I ended up just leaving on "wide normal" from a recommendation.
Setting it to Off will give the best sensitivity, something you might not need. Only if you see problems with a system (but how can you tell?) will you need to start experimenting with filter settings to see if the signal can be improved, lower D-ERROR in digital systems and lower NOISE figures in analog systems.

/Ubbe

kruser

Premium Subscriber
It will only let you display it in detailed.

I have mine in the most bottom line on the left - FWIW, someday I'll change it as I use no filters.

You can display the filter setting in the Simple displays also but the available fields are limited to one or two.

Last edited:

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Setting it to Off will give the best sensitivity, something you might not need. Only if you see problems with a system (but how can you tell?) will you need to start experimenting with filter settings to see if the signal can be improved, lower D-ERROR in digital systems and lower NOISE figures in analog systems.

/Ubbe
I am using simple trunk mode but I dont know how to get to the more detailed view.....if I go under "display options" thats just for setting colors....is there another setting to toggle between simple and detailed trunking view? I checked manual and "func + 9" doesnt do anything....3 rapid error beeps. Woops I got it...ok.....I dont see a "D error" field just "NOISE" and "RSSI"

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
PSX_20190504_002248001.jpeg

Everybody's different, this is actually the detailed screen and I've just removed all that useless crap I don't need. With all that information and colors I just can't read the screen so I put the minimum amount of information I need, moved it around and you can see at the bottom left where I put the filter indicator.
I am using simple trunk mode but I dont know how to get to the more detailed view.....if I go under "display options" thats just for setting colors....is there another setting to toggle between simple and detailed trunking view? I checked manual and "func + 9" doesnt do anything....3 rapid error beeps. Woops I got it...ok.....I dont see a "D error" field just "NOISE" and "RSSI"
As far as a way to toggle between simple and advanced screen you simply push function 9 and toggle. If you push function 9 and hold on the 9 a bit you toggle between color, black background white text and white background black text. Hope that helps... Bob

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
OK Ill try again. My attachment didn't attach. A Black and White capture so you can see it better. Sorry about the colors. Takes some getting used to. Bottom right is Filter setting.
View attachment 87495
How can I get the FILTER setting and the D-ERROR setting to display in my SDS200? Can you do it from radio or do you need to use Sentinel.

Status
Not open for further replies.