SDS200 Hum repaired, but returned

Status
Not open for further replies.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Imagine how much worse it is to be subjected to a misbehaving scanner.
The owner has the option to send it in for warranty repair if it is "misbehaving." Not exactly sure what entity is misbehaving in this case.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I am in the midst of an RV journey now on my way back from Alaska and both of my SDS200s have been rattling around and bouncing in a cabinet for thousands of miles, and some roads in AK were very rough - unpaved with potholes the size of Baghdad mortar craters - and both scanners have endured without any noise or hum. A buddy back in Ohio just purchased his 2nd SDS as well and he is hum-free. Bought one for my son in Escondido, hum-free (even tho he has hardly touched the 396T I bought for him years ago hah) I still believe the hum is a small percentage of owners, the rest of which we do not hear from here in the forums. I do not think I am 'one of the lucky ones', more like those with the hum are the 'unlucky' ones. No matter the statistics, it would be nice to hear that the 'unlucky' SDS200 owners get their scanners either fixed or replaced. And, I do agree with others here that if you do get a defective scanner it is not up to the consumer to 'fix' the problem, but the retailer's responsibility to replace it with a working model. That is how it is supposed to work.

FYI, I am also using external speakers for both 200s - the Uniden BC20 - and have no noise problems with the BC20s and also unplugged and straight out of the internal speakers. No hum at all. Have really worked these scanners on this trip, with gps and without, and very impressed with the overall performance. I give them a 10-star review.

JD
kf4anc

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I am in the midst of an RV journey now on my way back from Alaska and both of my SDS200s have been rattling around and bouncing in a cabinet for thousands of miles, and some roads in AK were very rough - unpaved with potholes the size of Baghdad mortar craters - and both scanners have endured without any noise or hum. A buddy back in Ohio just purchased his 2nd SDS as well and he is hum-free. Bought one for my son in Escondido, hum-free (even tho he has hardly touched the 396T I bought for him years ago hah) I still believe the hum is a small percentage of owners, the rest of which we do not hear from here in the forums. I do not think I am 'one of the lucky ones', more like those with the hum are the 'unlucky' ones. No matter the statistics, it would be nice to hear that the 'unlucky' SDS200 owners get their scanners either fixed or replaced. And, I do agree with others here that if you do get a defective scanner it is not up to the consumer to 'fix' the problem, but the retailer's responsibility to replace it with a working model. That is how it is supposed to work.

FYI, I am also using external speakers for both 200s - the Uniden BC20 - and have no noise problems with the BC20s and also unplugged and straight out of the internal speakers. No hum at all. Have really worked these scanners on this trip, with gps and without, and very impressed with the overall performance. I give them a 10-star review.

JD
kf4an

Now they'll call you a fan boy! How dare you claim you're scanner is hum free!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Nope, I only listen for it when stopped and parked and all is quiet on the Western front. Kinda silly to think I would be listening for it over road noise, don't ya think?. Come on. I don't even listen for it or ask other people to any more - it ain't there, plain and simple. Some folks might not want to believe that but each to their own. No worries here :)

JD
kf4anc

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Now they'll call you a fan boy! How dare you claim you're scanner is hum free!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

haha no fan boy here, just stating facts as I know them. My TRX-1 decodes DMR better than my Unidens, does that make me a Whistler fan boy? How bout we consolidate and call me a scanner fan boy and cover all the bases. Now the flamers won't know which way to aim their flamethrowers lol.

frazpo

Nope, I only listen for it when stopped and parked and all is quiet on the Western front. Kinda silly to think I would be listening for it over road noise, don't ya think?. Come on. I don't even listen for it or ask other people to any more - it ain't there, plain and simple. Some folks might not want to believe that but each to their own. No worries here :)

JD
kf4anc
I stated a fact. Did I not? I know some don't have the hum. I spoke to a scannermaster employee that can attest to that.

Retired2013

Guaranteed hum fix using Uniden's NMP200 Part For Noise Mitigation, however, it will VOID the manufacturer's warranty.

NOTE: This can only be performed by technically qualified personal with the correct tools as disassembling of the unit, including the front panel and precise soldering is involved. ( I am technically qualified being a communications technician for 32 years.)
When I received my SDS200, the hum made it unusable in a quiet bedroom. I received and installed Uniden's NMP200 Part For Noise Mitigation as per video instructions. I removed the felt from the frame rail and cleaned the metal top of the display and frame rail with alcohol. The results reduced the hum by 80%, and still perceivable with my ear up to the internal speaker but now it is usable in the bedroom. I updated the firmware and set the Audio Amp Off Time to 500 mSec. However after a week, I noticed the hum increasing to a level of where it was before I installed the NMP200 part. This indicated that the effective conductivity was greatly reduced between the MNP200 and metal top of the display and frame rail.

Guaranteed hum fix, but, will VOID the manufacturer's warranty:
Disassemble the unit to include the removal of the front panel exposing the metal top of the display. Clean the metal top of the display and frame rail with alcohol. Uniden's NMP200 part is again installed at the specified location as per the video, however, the part is to be soldered in. To ensure proper soldering, it will be necessary to tin the metal top of the display and frame rail at this location as well as the copper side of the NMP200. Place the NMP200 and solder using proper heat.

Very important: To allow the front panel re-installation to fit properly, use only a sparingly amount of solder.
The results: The hum level is barely perceivable with my ear right up to the internal speaker. This is at a greatly reduced level compared to just using the original friction fit instructions for the NMO200.

Joe_Blough

Thank you Retired2013.

And once again we have to depend on an end user to fix a design flaw that Uniden can't or won't fix. Do you think a ground strap would have dkbe the same thing?

I don't know that this will void the warranty. FTC says it is illegal to make warranties conditional. For example, "Warranty void if seal is broken" is not allowed per the FTC. You are allowed to open your own product.

Last edited:

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I think it is great that you have found a fix could you show others pictures to help explain or maybe you for a fee could do the fix for the few that have problems. I think this would be great for some end users plus make the haters even madder.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Thank you Retired2013.

And once again we have to depend on an end user to fix a design flaw that Uniden can't or won't fix. Do you think a ground strap would have dkbe the same thing?

I don't know that this will void the warranty. FTC says it is illegal to make warranties conditional. For example, "Warranty void if seal is broken" is not allowed per the FTC. You are allowed to open your own product.

Do you own an SDS 200 yet? :unsure:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Thank you Retired2013.

Opening it and altering it are two different things. I'm pretty certain if you were to do any internal soldering it would void the warranty, especially if you were to damage the display screen from excessive heat or pressure while attempting Retired2013's repair. I had considered doing something similar myself but played it safe and returned the scanner for a refund instead.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately their will be some out here who try all these things to resolve an issue (squeezing/soldering) and if their units have a "warranty issue" they might be disappointed when Uniden voids their warranty as a result of these "unauthorized/non-warranty) modifications and then they'll be on here bitc***g that Uniden has fuc**d them somehow.

It's my understanding based upon UPMan's sticky is this issue has been addressed, a free "mitigation/not an elimination) part is provided free of charge with a You Tube video on how to properly install it, and a firmware update provides an option to use the "Set Audio Off Time" which eliminates a substantial amount of the processor noise that some are hearing. Hopefully in the near future, UPMan is well enough or Uniden Support can either inform those attempting unauthorized modifications are subject to.

Joe_Blough

Opening it and altering it are two different things. I'm pretty certain if you were to do any internal soldering it would void the warranty, especially if you were to damage the display screen from excessive heat or pressure while attempting Retired2013's repair. I had considered doing something similar myself but played it safe and returned the scanner for a refund instead.
You are free to do repairs on equipment you own. Now if you botch the repair and Uniden has to fix it, that wouldn't be a warranty repair but if you do this and later sonething else goes wrong like the speaker goes bad, that should be covered under warranty.

Joe_Blough

Unfortunately their will be some out here who try all these things to resolve an issue (squeezing/soldering) and if their units have a "warranty issue" they might be disappointed when Uniden voids their warranty as a result of these "unauthorized/non-warranty) modifications and then they'll be on here bitc***g that Uniden has fuc**d them somehow.

It's my understanding based upon UPMan's sticky is this issue has been addressed, a free "mitigation/not an elimination) part is provided free of charge with a You Tube video on how to properly install it, and a firmware update provides an option to use the "Set Audio Off Time" which eliminates a substantial amount of the processor noise that some are hearing. Hopefully in the near future, UPMan is well enough or Uniden Support can either inform those attempting unauthorized modifications are subject to.
This was a half assed gesture from the start by Uniden and actually developed by a forum member. You see, unlike app developers who do constant unnecessary updates simply to justify their jobs, hardware design engineers pump out a product and then move on to the next one.

This product design was outsourced and now any fixes are left up to Uniden to figure out. Since Uniden didn't design the SDS200, they don't have a clue.

Everyone knows what the issue is and what the fix is but Uniden refuses to do a proper fix. Now despite your desire to not see a real fix for some strange reason, the half assed gesture metal piece that you worship and rave favorably about has turned out to be a failure after a week to a month.

So now someone has disgraced Uniden again by doing their job for them for free and you can't stand it so are telling people to accept and love the half assed gesture for a $700 product and using scare tactics to dissuade them from finally getting a proper fix. I am sure these who don't feel competent to do the real fix won't do it. Those who are competent will, because Uniden won't.

Joe_Blough

I think it is great that you have found a fix could you show others pictures to help explain or maybe you for a fee could do the fix for the few that have problems. I think this would be great for some end users plus make the haters even madder.
I thougt the same about the pictures, but I feel it is pretty clear what he did and he already did Uniden's job for them for free and shared it with us so didn't want to burden him with asking for pictures.

I do think his post should be made a sticky. I'll even suggest a title - Guaranteed hum fix by end user to the disgrace of Uniden".

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
This was a half assed gesture from the start by Uniden and actually developed by a forum member. You see, unlike app developers who do constant unnecessary updates simply to justify their jobs, hardware design engineers pump out a product and then move on to the next one.

This product design was outsourced and now any fixes are left up to Uniden to figure out. Since Uniden didn't design the SDS200, they don't have a clue.

Everyone knows what the issue is and what the fix is but Uniden refuses to do a proper fix. Now despite your desire to not see a real fix for some strange reason, the half assed gesture metal piece that you worship and rave favorably about has turned out to be a failure after a week to a month.

So now someone has disgraced Uniden again by doing their job for them for free and you can't stand it so are telling people to accept and love the half assed gesture for a $700 product and using scare tactics to dissuade them from finally getting a proper fix. I am sure these who don't feel competent to do the real fix won't do it. Those who are competent will, because Uniden won't.

I'm not sure why your so angry at Uniden for a product you don't own. I owned and sold a Whistler TRX-2 which I can comment on because of some knowledge. You're just here to stir the pot a bit, but so far Uniden is not responding to your attempts.You neglect to mention the numerous SDS 200 owners who have "properly" installed the part and have had good results. While I commend the poster in his attempt, as of right now this isn't endorsed or recommended by Uniden. The SDS 200 is under a manufacture warranty and the only "fix" is what UPMan has posted and the Firmware upgrade. Anything other than that, you're taking a risk. A good example would be if you start having issues with the display and you send it in "under warranty" and it's discovered some of the solder melted and dripped down which caused the display to falter. Uniden would call you and said you voided the warranty due to "unauthorized repairs"...that will be a another useless thread started. "Uniden not honoring my warranty" and then I expect you'd be leading the new charge.

Joe (If that is your real name..lol), you have no stake in the game here, nor should you be commenting on a scanner you don't own. If their is any updates/changes, they will come from Uniden and all the other suggestions like squeezing, pressing, soldering...well you modify at your own risk. Sit back, relax and let Uniden address it if they see fit. Other than that, the owners are taking a risk at voiding their warranty if they perform any of these "fixes".

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
This is similar to a car manufacturer voiding your warranty if you plug a flat instead of using a factory supplied can of "fix a flat" goo.

Is it possible to just solder a wire between the two metal components that need to be grounded, without using the Uniden supplied part? I suppose Uniden doesn't consider soldering a user repairable levelof skill.

Paul

Guaranteed hum fix using Uniden's NMP200 Part For Noise Mitigation, however, it will VOID the manufacturer's warranty.

NOTE: This can only be performed by technically qualified personal with the correct tools as disassembling of the unit, including the front panel and precise soldering is involved. ( I am technically qualified being a communications technician for 32 years.)
When I received my SDS200, the hum made it unusable in a quiet bedroom. I received and installed Uniden's NMP200 Part For Noise Mitigation as per video instructions. I removed the felt from the frame rail and cleaned the metal top of the display and frame rail with alcohol. The results reduced the hum by 80%, and still perceivable with my ear up to the internal speaker but now it is usable in the bedroom. I updated the firmware and set the Audio Amp Off Time to 500 mSec. However after a week, I noticed the hum increasing to a level of where it was before I installed the NMP200 part. This indicated that the effective conductivity was greatly reduced between the MNP200 and metal top of the display and frame rail.

Guaranteed hum fix, but, will VOID the manufacturer's warranty:
Disassemble the unit to include the removal of the front panel exposing the metal top of the display. Clean the metal top of the display and frame rail with alcohol. Uniden's NMP200 part is again installed at the specified location as per the video, however, the part is to be soldered in. To ensure proper soldering, it will be necessary to tin the metal top of the display and frame rail at this location as well as the copper side of the NMP200. Place the NMP200 and solder using proper heat.

Very important: To allow the front panel re-installation to fit properly, use only a sparingly amount of solder.
The results: The hum level is barely perceivable with my ear right up to the internal speaker. This is at a greatly reduced level compared to just using the original friction fit instructions for the NMO200.

Status
Not open for further replies.