SDS200 Hum repaired, but returned

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Sorry, I was only thinking of those who may insist upon doing so and not knowing what they are doing. Your point is clear. I suppose if Uniden sees your fix as a viable solution it would, indeed, be their responsibility to post instructions or otherwise . Didn't mean to call you out there. I do hope no one ruins their radios due to misplaced confidence.

JD
kf4anc
It's a good point JD, I don't think the majority of the folks here on RR would be comfortable wrenching on their expensive new radio.

It's not just a steady hand and patience but it does take some experience under the hood.

It would be interesting to see this week how many people call tech support and want the procedure done under warranty.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
One of the posts mentioned you can tell by the serial number...China or Vietnam. Did all the troubled ones come from the same assembly line?
From what I read the serial number does indicate which Factory it was made at and I remember a post by upman explaining that.

The impression I got however, was that all the factories were in Vietnam. I never heard anything about one made in China. I certainly could be wrong on that.

I also remember reading back when serial numbers were being tossed around that there was no Rhyme or Reason with regard to the hum and the serial number, you could have a quiet radio and a radio with the hum in sequence of the same serial number from the same batch.

I also remember beta testers saying that their radios were different and were pre-production models. We never heard the hum on the videos from beta testers.

15plus1

And yet crickets from Uniden.. I like their scanners.. 3/4 of my scanners are Unidens.. But why the lack of response for this issue re: $700 scanners ??

And don't call out UPMan on this.. That guy has bigger issues than this.. Way bigger.. All my best to Paul !

allend

Premium Subscriber
Been listening to my SDS-200 now for over 24 hrs now with no HUM. I am not pointing any fingers except that this was a good fix for this radio from a well talented tech who figured out this issue with grounding. Lets keep giving credit to him and let Uniden figure out on how this HUM issue will get resolved for future radios being released. Wonder if the BCD536HP hissing and pulsing noise was from some sort of grounding issues to with those older radios. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Just happy that I hear nothing anymore with any HUM noise. Now its time to keep learning more detailed features with this radio since the HUM noise is not fixating me anymore.

Firekite

Wonder if the BCD536HP hissing and pulsing noise was from some sort of grounding issues to with those older radios. Will be interesting to see what happens.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Crap. Thanks for sending this link. God for all of these years having that radio and finally the old Flagship now has a fix. Funny stuff

Ubbe

I also remember reading back when serial numbers were being tossed around that there was no Rhyme or Reason with regard to the hum and the serial number
Usually at a factory there could be 4-5 persons doing the same job of assembling the different parts into a scanner and then those scanners are turned over to one other single person or robot that programs them with firmware and serial numbers and put the serial stickers on them. So there's no mark inside that says "assembled by #5" that could trace a "hummer" to a specific person, if there was an issue with one persons quality of work. But now it probably are a PCB manufacturing problem where someone may have skipped over the step where they cover over the grounding points prior to adding the protective laquer.

/Ubbe

Firekite

Like the C1 problem with the 436, it wouldn’t surprise me if Uniden quietly corrects/improves their manufacturing process to address the issue for new units in the future once their stock of existing flawed PCBs runs out. They’re well aware that it’s a grounding issue, thus the “mitigation” part, and I imagine they’re already well aware of the actual permanent fix. It costs them nothing to correct the manufacturing defect for future production, and if they can get away with sending out a handful of cheap pieces of metal and convincing users to do the work of installing it for free to them, then they will have gotten away with another snafu.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Trust me Uniden is watching this thread like a hawk. They will never admit guilt since the majority of companies and people

"Just won't own their mistakes"

Uniden just needs to come out and own the problem and fix it since a certain member on this site decided to take the bull by its horns and resolve the problem. I guess we will wait and see. I guess we will see if they will own it or wait for six months and see when more radios hit the streets and open them up and see if this problem was resolved.

dougjgray

I am curious, my sds200 came with the Mitigation part installed and only hummed until it warmed up then it was gone, I put copper tape rolled up to snug it up and there is no hum. Butt I am curious when I have the Net cable connected, I get alot of UHF and VHF Noise and cannot really scan those, could the same thing producing the hum also cause the noise from the Net interface?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Like the C1 problem with the 436, it wouldn’t surprise me if Uniden quietly corrects/improves their manufacturing process to address the issue for new units in the future once their stock of existing flawed PCBs runs out. They’re well aware that it’s a grounding issue, thus the “mitigation” part, and I imagine they’re already well aware of the actual permanent fix. It costs them nothing to correct the manufacturing defect for future production, and if they can get away with sending out a handful of cheap pieces of metal and convincing users to do the work of installing it for free to them, then they will have gotten away with another snafu.
Trust me Uniden is watching this thread like a hawk. They will never admit guilt since the majority of companies and people

"Just won't own their mistakes"

Uniden just needs to come out and own the problem and fix it since a certain member on this site decided to take the bull by its horns and resolve the problem. I guess we will wait and see. I guess we will see if they will own it or wait for six months and see when more radios hit the streets and open them up and see if this problem was resolved.

I would hope the two of you never buy a Uniden scanner again. Sound very angry and frustrated over many years. Take a step away for a bit and smell the roses..

allend

Premium Subscriber
I would hope the two of you never buy a Uniden scanner again. Sound very angry and frustrated over many years. Take a step away for a bit and smell the roses..

Smell what roses? I will keep buying Uniden scanners but will keep Uniden honest on their build quality and Q & A. This is what we all deserve. Nothing less when spending over 700.00 bucks for a scanner. Somebody needs to keep the fire under their feet when charging these kinds of prices for radios. Just saying.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Smell what roses? I will keep buying Uniden scanners but will keep Uniden honest on their build quality and Q & A. This is what we all deserve. Nothing less when spending over 700.00 bucks for a scanner. Somebody needs to keep the fire under their feet when charging these kinds of prices for radios. Just saying.

You need to relax...step away from the scanners for a bit....smell the roses, pet a puppy, say a few prayers...I don't know but your scanners are your enemies. Fish, golf, watch birds? You've fixed your issue congratulations, be happy :). Uniden will come around in time as they have before. Most of us aren't that wrapped up in this, just enjoy the hobby and listen while we can...it's all good man...it really is. This is not a real problem compared to what others are facing..

frazpo

It's a good point JD, I don't think the majority of the folks here on RR would be comfortable wrenching on their expensive new radio.

It's not just a steady hand and patience but it does take some experience under the hood.

It would be interesting to see this week how many people call tech support and want the procedure done under warranty.

Not to downplay the possibilities of what "could" happen, but the process is really very easy. It really does just take a steady hand. The holes that you clear the laquer from are not really close to any components on the board. I think if you were to watch someone do it you would be like " I got this". Its a total of 11 screws. 8 are are for the case. Three hold the display to the front frame and removing the knobs with the x tool is very easy.

allend

Premium Subscriber
You need to relax...step away from the scanners for a bit....smell the roses, pet a puppy, say a few prayers...I don't know but your scanners are your enemies. Fish, golf, watch birds? You've fixed your issue congratulations, be happy :). Uniden will come around in time as they have before. Most of us aren't that wrapped up in this, just enjoy the hobby and listen while we can...it's all good man...it really is. This is not a real problem compared to what others are facing..

How do you know what I am facing compared to others? This is not the Dr. Phil show here for you sense of wisdom

radio3353

This is the kind of 'tiptoe through the tulips' thinking that encourages companies to deliver crap and not care about making things right. You are the customer every company loves.

No, the answer is to keep the company's feet to the fire and make them responsible for what they deliver after taking our money. Especially when their customers have done the work to identify the problem and publish the fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.