SDS200 Hum Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
We are aware of the reports of hum in the SDS200 and are working on a solution. At this time, we expect the solution to involve both hardware and software...but the hardware portion looks to be something anyone can do themselves. I don't have complete details, today, but hope to have a video, soon, showing how to do the mod. Please stand by.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I've posted the procedure for adding a part that will firmly ground the LCD mounting frame, resulting in dramatically lower background noise for those of you experiencing this phenomenon. The part required for this procedure is not yet in our hands, but we do expect to have them within a couple of weeks. These parts will be provided to you at no charge.

The video shows how to install the factory-supplied part to ground the LCD's metal frame to the main chassis. In addition to this process, a firmware update will be issued that further addresses this. We understand that some people do not want to wait for this part. In that case, we have made another video showing how to use aluminum foil to craft a similar part. However, we do recommend that if you use that method, you get the actual part when it becomes available and replace the foil with the part.

The other video can be found at: https://youtu.be/w7Sn9KsfeOk

Performing either of these procedures will not void your warranty.

noaim

Premium Subscriber
I've posted the procedure for adding a part that will firmly ground the LCD mounting frame, resulting in dramatically lower background noise for those of you experiencing this phenomenon. The part required for this procedure is not yet in our hands, but we do expect to have them within a couple of weeks. These parts will be provided to you at no charge.

The video shows how to install the factory-supplied part to ground the LCD's metal frame to the main chassis. In addition to this process, a firmware update will be issued that further addresses this. We understand that some people do not want to wait for this part. In that case, we have made another video showing how to use aluminum foil to craft a similar part. However, we do recommend that if you use that method, you get the actual part when it becomes available and replace the foil with the part.

Will the part be auto shipped or do we contact you guys?

Sent from my iPhone

garys

Premium Subscriber
Will the recommendation be to do this modification prophylacticly on radios that don't exhibit the problem?

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
I've posted the procedure for adding a part that will firmly ground the LCD mounting frame,t resulting in dramatically lower background noise for those of you experiencing his phenomenon. The part required for this procedure is not yet in our hands, but we do expect to have them within a couple of weeks. These parts will be provided to you at no charge.

A couple of points if I may :

As stated above (resulting in dramatically lower background noise for those of you experiencing his phenomenon).
So this will not result in elimination of the noise if I am reading this correctly .

Does this procedure affect the internal speaker , external speaker or both ?

The videos did not show any audio coming from the scanner.
Therefore we really have no idea what the scanner sounds like,
before and after the procedure .

How would somone get the part when it becomes available ?
Can we send in our scanner to have Uniden do the mod ?

Thank you for acknowledging that there is a hum problem
with some units .

torishu

Thanks UPMan!

Can't wait for this part to become available, and pleased that I will be able to install it myself. Even if I insure a package it always makes me uneasy to send something so expensive off to be repaired/serviced when, if it does become lost or damaged, it's a hassle to deal with. Not to mention I'll be purchasing the protocol upgrades and since they're tied to that individual unit I don't even know what happens if it goes missing or becomes damaged.

So I'm pleased I'll be able perform this procedure at home. It looks easy enough after watching the video too.

Please let us know what the procedure will be to get the part. I'm not sure I've even registered my unit since I've been on the fence about returning it because of the noise.

I do hope that this will eliminate the noise or at least bring it down to a level where unit-to-unit noise is more or less equal. I am concerned that this will just lower the noise but I'll still have a "bad" unit compared to some who say their units are noise-free.

Thanks again for acknowledging the issue and working on a fix.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Very interesting, I imagine the process will be the same as it was acquiring the larger battery, making sure the radio is registered, going in and confirming that your address is correct.

So many interesting questions to be answered that can't be answered now like when will this part actually get to the factory and be installed in the radios being manufactured? Everyone's going to want to know the serial numbers from that point on so they make sure they get that unit when buying it.

How many radios are in the pipeline already that will need this fix? How long will it take to flush them out of the pipeline so to speak by people that purchase a radio that needs the fix?

It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out in the future. The fix is easy enough.

epilab

Premium Subscriber
Any idea what the sticky strip that was removed is and should it be replaced to furfill it’s original purpose

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Any idea what the sticky strip that was removed is and should it be replaced to furfill it’s original purpose
Speculating that was installed to counter any buzzing generated by the internal speaker vibrating the chassis components. The video does not show it being replaced, so I wouldn't do it, at least initially. It seems like it was removed to get better electrical contact with the shield(s). Perhaps Upman will explain in a later post.

torishu

Just did the foil mod. If I had to guess, I'd say it suppressed the noise by 20%.

Maybe a tad more, but not much.

Ouch. This worries me. Perhaps I ought to just return mine while I still can. The hum on my unit is pretty significant. Only a ~20% reduction would still be far too much.

Thanks for the report. Gives me some serious contemplation.

m42duster

I'm waiting for the factory part and updated firmware. I followed instructions carefully. I wish the scanner used in the video had a before and after.

torishu

The foil is NOT the permanent fix. UPMan's working on it. Read acove

It hasn't been stated that the interim fix offers less noise mitigation than the factory fix, has it? I assumed that the factory part installation is just more ideal as foil can always shed little pieces and short something out.

If it's stated that the foil option offers less mitigation than the factory part, I will wait. It's just that I have to decide soon -- I only have a few more days. We won't have the part by then but perhaps there will be a clarification.

There is, of course, the firmware aspect to the fix, too, which we shouldn't forget.

I would be eager to hear from others who have tried the interim fix as well.

Cautiously optimistic.

m42duster

As mentioned, I see minimal reduction with the foil mod. I'm intrigued by the firmware fix. Curious as to what values will be affected to attenuate the noise. As long as there is no performance loss, then I'll apply it.

I sent a note to my eBay seller, but for some reason he/she is avoiding my question. Been over a week with no response.

Status
Not open for further replies.