Sds200 humming noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I have two SDS200s and neither have the hum issue. Two friends close by that each bought SDS200s and neither have any hum issue. The problem is definitely in the minority of owners. I have another friend who has one and says it hums but he can't hear it over the noise on his desk so it's not an issue with him. I bought another SDS200 for the RV but it sees little use at home so I am thinking about selling it. I need to make some space and clear the clutter on my ham desk anyway.

4436time

In Gov't We Trust
Premium Subscriber
Mine sounds like this but it's still one heckuva scanner and I enjoy it anyway.

frazpo

I don't think there have been any instances where that fix was applied, and the result was anything less than 100% .

All of the units I have encountered didn't have the hum, and I didn't open them up to check for the factory fix.

The staticdischarge fix is a 100% fix. I've done it myself after trying all the other suggestions. So have a few others and they had the same results.

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
What drives me crazy is a "pop" or "click" at the start of receiving a transmission.
Mine doesn't do that, although there are other threads re the pop sound. Do you have a Set Audio Time set? Mine is set to Infinite.

As regards the hum/digital noise. I opened mine and it has the factory clip installed so I added some layered copper tape at the clip, similar to what someone else here has done to improve the contact between the edge of the screen and the inner cover.

It has reduced the noise to the extent that I can only hear it if within 4" or so from the speaker, a vast improvement from what it was. It does vary slightly though, depending on temperature. I think I need to add another layer of copper tape.

The tape method is quick and simple, whereas the StaticDischarge one while the complete fix, is not one everyone would be comfortable to do.

N8SHA

This is me!
@StaticDischarge mentions instructions elsewhere in the forums for disassembling the scanner, but I've not been able to find them. I've had the unit apart and get down to where I have the main front panel unit off, but not to the point were I can see the front board, etc. I just haven't been able to figure it out. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated....

-Matt

frazpo

@StaticDischarge mentions instructions elsewhere in the forums for disassembling the scanner, but I've not been able to find them. I've had the unit apart and get down to where I have the main front panel unit off, but not to the point were I can see the front board, etc. I just haven't been able to figure it out. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated....

-Matt
Hope this helps. This is the one on soldering but the pics may help for taking apart. Unsure how far you've gotten.

N8SHA

This is me!
Hope this helps. This is the one on soldering but the pics may help for taking apart. Unsure how far you've gotten.

That helps tremendously! Thank you!
-Matt

Kaleier1

Bought a SDS200 from Scannermaster last month, it seems to be a late serial (834Z980009nn) so presumably has a factory "fix" of some sort, but it does have the hum/digital noise issue.

However to me its not intrusive, noticeable if within 300-400mm but not outside that. Lower level with the internal speaker, but that's probably because it faces down.

I can imagine it might be a PITA if the SDS200 is on a desk you sit in front of.
I bought one from Scanner Master at the end of December with a serial number 834Z980003nn) and it has the hum. The number was lower than ones from less known places bought before I bought mine. I can't believe SM sold 500 or 600 of them in the month after I bought mine.

Kaleier1

That says your scanner was built in 2019 and was scanner 300 plus your xx's built in 2019.
I know. I found it odd Scanner Master was selling older stock than less known sellers yet a little over a month later someone gets one from SM 500 to 600 numbers higher than the one I got.

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
I got mine in December it had the hum but had their fix. I ordered the fix from Uniden because I thought I had nothing to lose.. It helped more. Next I removed the plastic/rubber stripes on the metal inside the case and that helped even more! I am currently accepting that there will probably never be a full fix but I love the radio otherwise!

N8SHA

This is me!
Did you accomplish the mod?

I managed to do the mod this weekend. I did both versions - soldering a jumper wire, and scraping some of the coating off the circuit board under the mounting screws. (FYI - a Dremel emery wheel works great for this, just watch the dust.)

Result has been somewhat disappointing. Any hum that was there is gone. That's great!

The "pop" or "click" at the start of receiving a transmission, however, is still there, though somewhat reduced. It is still quite annoying, since I'm typically listening to it from just a couple feet away.

If it weren't for needing good simulcast performance, I'd stick with my BCD536.

-Matt

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I managed to do the mod this weekend. I did both versions - soldering a jumper wire, and scraping some of the coating off the circuit board under the mounting screws. (FYI - a Dremel emery wheel works great for this, just watch the dust.)

Result has been somewhat disappointing. Any hum that was there is gone. That's great!

The "pop" or "click" at the start of receiving a transmission, however, is still there, though somewhat reduced. It is still quite annoying, since I'm typically listening to it from just a couple feet away.

If it weren't for needing good simulcast performance, I'd stick with my BCD536.

-Matt

Change your "Audio Off Timer" to "Infinite" and see if that helps.

N8SHA

This is me!
Change your "Audio Off Timer" to "Infinite" and see if that helps.

Definitely double checked that. Even toggled from Infinite to another setting and back just for kicks with no noticeable improvement.

Kaleier1

-Matt

The first SDS200 I bought had that same issue. I sent it back within the return period for a full refund and bought another one. It is a defect. Return it or get it fined under warranty.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Mine was bought from ScannerMaster. It does have the hum, but its low enough that I only hear it later at night when eveything else is off and I'm within a couple feet of the unit.

I hear it fluctuate a bit as it scans through different systems. Odd for sure.

I just hope it doesn't get worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.