SDS200 LCN finder

Status
Not open for further replies.

cg

Premium Subscriber
My area (greater Hartford CT) is very busy for UHF business licenses and it is common to have several DMR users on a frequency. Confirmed color code could help prevent false hits if you have similar congestion.

chris

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
I have the sds200 using LCN finder on a DMR System so far it has found 2/5 but it does not saying anything on the screen to save. it just has to scan above the system key?????

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have the sds200 using LCN finder on a DMR System so far it has found 2/5 but it does not saying anything on the screen to save. it just has to scan above the system key?????
When you press Function plus the System key to resume scanning, you'll get a prompt yes or no, do you want to save what it's found.

XPS720

Premium Subscriber
I just installed a roof antenna and I now see many confirmed LCN and a few unconfirmed LCN with strong frequency signals, but I hear no one. Can someone show me how this LCN is used or set up on my SDS200 ?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I just installed a roof antenna and I now see many confirmed LCN and a few unconfirmed LCN with strong frequency signals, but I hear no one. Can someone show me how this LCN is used or set up on my SDS200 ?
Are you running the LCN Finder and confirming the LCNs?

Once you have run the Finder, and it has found LCNs for one of your systems of interest, use Sentinel (or ProScan or ARC536) to read the data from the scanner back into the software, and save that data. Remember that if you run the LCN Finder again on a system, it resets all the system LCNs back to zero (unknown LCN) before starting the find process again. For the LCN Finder to complete it's task, the system needs to be busy enough that most if not all of the channels are used. If there is not enough radio traffic, you won't see the LCNs for the lesser used frequencies be identified. On the other hand, if the system is extremely busy, that can complicate the LCN process as well, leaving you with incomplete information.

For the scanner to correctly track an LTR, DMR,, or NXDN system, you need to have the LCNs entered for each system. For a system where you have found all of the active channels, you can scan it with the correct LCNs in place.

If you are seeing other frequencies, with a strong signal, that appear to be from another system, you can program them as conventional frequencies, then if you are using a program such as ProScan, you can log the activity, looking for one or more 'sets' of frequencies using the same Color Code (DMR) or RAN (NXDN), which can perhaps point you to a new system that was not previously known. You can use the frequency search feature on your county's database page to see who is licensed for a given frequency, then look at that specific license to see if there are more than one frequency, which might be part of the system. Depending on your area, there may be more than one licensee for a specific frequency. Herein my area, DFW, many of the Uhf frequencies that businesses use have four or more companies licensed for it in my county. So a given frequency, potentially, could be used in more than one system. That's the case in my area.

On your SDS200, if you have a number of "unknown usage" frequencies being scanned, the scanner display (also the log if you are using that) will indicate a system type. "CAP" and CON" shown on the screen would indicate a DMR trunked system. If you only see DMR, then that frequency is not part of a multi-frequency trunked system.

Don't forget that the Digital Frequency Search website can give you a list of licensees for DMR and NXDN in a specific county. Just because they are licensed to use DMR or NXDN does not guarantee that they are using that mode, but it may help you identify some of your unknown items.

cg

Premium Subscriber
What system?, What LCN in the "this LCN" that you are referring to? Did you do a search, found some channels and are trying to make sense of them?

chris

XPS720

Premium Subscriber
Are you running the LCN Finder and confirming the LCNs?

Once you have run the Finder, and it has found LCNs for one of your systems of interest, use Sentinel (or ProScan or ARC536) to read the data from the scanner back into the software, and save that data. Remember that if you run the LCN Finder again on a system, it resets all the system LCNs back to zero (unknown LCN) before starting the find process again. For the LCN Finder to complete it's task, the system needs to be busy enough that most if not all of the channels are used. If there is not enough radio traffic, you won't see the LCNs for the lesser used frequencies be identified. On the other hand, if the system is extremely busy, that can complicate the LCN process as well, leaving you with incomplete information.

For the scanner to correctly track an LTR, DMR,, or NXDN system, you need to have the LCNs entered for each system. For a system where you have found all of the active channels, you can scan it with the correct LCNs in place.

If you are seeing other frequencies, with a strong signal, that appear to be from another system, you can program them as conventional frequencies, then if you are using a program such as ProScan, you can log the activity, looking for one or more 'sets' of frequencies using the same Color Code (DMR) or RAN (NXDN), which can perhaps point you to a new system that was not previously known. You can use the frequency search feature on your county's database page to see who is licensed for a given frequency, then look at that specific license to see if there are more than one frequency, which might be part of the system. Depending on your area, there may be more than one licensee for a specific frequency. Herein my area, DFW, many of the Uhf frequencies that businesses use have four or more companies licensed for it in my county. So a given frequency, potentially, could be used in more than one system. That's the case in my area.

On your SDS200, if you have a number of "unknown usage" frequencies being scanned, the scanner display (also the log if you are using that) will indicate a system type. "CAP" and CON" shown on the screen would indicate a DMR trunked system. If you only see DMR, then that frequency is not part of a multi-frequency trunked system.

Don't forget that the Digital Frequency Search website can give you a list of licensees for DMR and NXDN in a specific county. Just because they are licensed to use DMR or NXDN does not guarantee that they are using that mode, but it may help you identify some of your unknown items.
I use ProScan on both my BCD526 and SDS200. I do see +CON on my screen. What is this finder you mention. Is it based on a full data base scan?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
LNC FINDER Trick number 1 make sure you have all the correct frequencies and the system has to be active for it to work.
Absolutely. But in a dense metro area, where the same frequencies might be licensed to multiple users in the same county. And, even though the licensee has a number of frequencies authorized for a specific location, there is no certainty that all will be part of the system.

For one of the business trunked systems in my area, the Cedar Hill site shows five frequencies used. But, if you plow throw the license data, there are ten frequencies authorized.
1616960578580.png
Periodically, I have run the LCN Finder, using all ten frequencies, but so far, only the five listed for the site are in use.

This is where logging comes into play. For a frequency with more than one user authorized, logging the activity of one or more frequencies that you do not have a "home" for can give you clues. If the system you are looking at uses, for example, Color Code 3, but logs show other conversations using one or more other color codes, then you can review licenses for the frequency, and compare that to your logs. In the example above, if CC 3 is being used, but you see a cluster of frequencies being logged as using CC 7, then that might be another, undocumented, system. License searches can give you the other frequencies for that user & location, and you may have enough clues to assemble a new trunked system, then run the LCN Finder on it. As noted previously, if the 'system type' on the frequency log is DMR, then it likely is not a trunked system. 'CON' or 'CAP' imply a system, but it will take a little detective work to assemble all the pieces of the puzzle.
I use ProScan on both my BCD526 and SDS200. I do see +CON on my screen. What is this finder you mention. Is it based on a full data base scan?
The LCN Finder is one of the options under the Analyze selection on the scanner's menu. It is used for frequencies that you have programmed on an existing system, or for what you suspect is a new system. The full database does not enter into this process at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.