SDS200 likes or dislikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

vocoder

This radio rocks! Thats the only way to describe it. I like all it has to offer.
Uniden rocks, thanks to all involved!
The sexy display is one thing, but it sounds good by audio.
Its not too big, but also not too small.

Weve entered a new era of scanning, ladies & gents!

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I'll raise that and call!

Audio is awesome - loud and clear and full of tone w/out any distortion, I might not rush to order another MLS for this bad boy...we'll see
In an era where digital is good and good is small, Uniden hit the median with a beefy radio that isn't too this or too that - it's just right
This display surpasses that of it's little brother, dazzling and full of info and colorful and crisp and clear and bright or dim or any way you want it - wow! Where's my RayBans?
vhf/uhf is on par with any other scanner I own, including my Pro-2006. I plan to test it on local airband and milair tomorrow. Look out BC125AT!
Good to go right out of the box, loaded config from SDS100 (renamed) and she's off to the races. We already know each other ;)

Dislikes...none so far, so let's say Suggestions:
I would have liked to seen a pair of sturdy fold down feet for desktop placement, something along the lines of the BC895XLTs fold down feet with a slight tilt, I will probably hit Ace or Home Depot and buy some round rubber appliance feet sometime in the near future
I am with others - altho I will probably never use the LAN feature, I would prefer the input jack on the rear plate somewhere
Maybe a tad bit bigger? j/k

All in all, as someone else already said - this is one badazz radio. My compliments to the Uniden engineers.

JD
kf4anc

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Display much better than the 536

Audio also better

DISLIKES:

Keypad doesn't turn off with the display

LAN on front

Audio issues over LAN takes a few tries to get it working

Quality control: some folks have led issues with the keypad

Other have audio issues like the 536 series did

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Peerlessk

Sound : audio is clear and loud. No vibration. No hiss no hum
Looks : she’s sexy
Feel : solid little tank .

Dislikes
Ethernet port : don’t like location -front
No stand - need to use bracket- could have put a folding stand as an option for $700 should have had one .

Sds200 is worth the upgrade over the x36 series . It sounds better.recievs better looks better (screen) do I recommend ? Yeah one for the truck,house,garage,tree house . You get the point

Houdini7

Premium Subscriber
For the folks wanting a folding stand, can’t you simply use the included ‘mounting bracket’ on the bottom and ‘tilt’ it up?
I have not tried this, but I will later tonight...

D

DaveNF2G

Keypad doesn't turn off with the display

Why would you want that to happen? You wouldn't be able to turn the display back on.

CQ

Could work i guess . Give it a try and report results
Have a few radios with their stands that tilt and work fine. Just use the rubber feet. The hefty SDS200 hasn't moved during some quick use and pressing the avoid button.

CQ

Why would you want that to happen? You wouldn't be able to turn the display back on.

You can still see the physical keys without the backlight on. Also with the setting could be tied to the screen or independent. So my best alternative is to turn it off completely. I have screen set for 10% light and 15 seconds during activity.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Say what? The SDS 100 keypad turns off with the display. Why would you NOT be able to turn the display back on?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I’m using the rack cane with the radio. This box was made out of plywood that was left over the hurricane from a friends house. I have two bolts and two wing nuts.

Attachments

• 4B648C61-68A5-4C15-813F-950C20B21BC1.jpeg
    4B648C61-68A5-4C15-813F-950C20B21BC1.jpeg
    45.1 KB · Views: 190

SlyFerret

How does network streaming and control work (on the local network)?

If I buy one of these and set it up stationary in the shack, is there a way to listen/control it from my Android phone from anywhere in the house on my network?

-SF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

JamesO

If the backlight has timed out/display is blank, turning the Volume or Squelch should bring the display back on so you can see what value the Volume/Squelch is set to . I have 8 scanners together and since the Volume/Squelch knobs are swapped around when compared to other models it would be nice to see that I turned the correct knob and what the final setting is.

Hopefully this can be addressed in a future firmware update.

wise871

Database Admin
I'll just list the dislikes seeing it is the same as the SDS100 but a base unit. The radio receives fine and does what it's suppose to.

1. Dim backlight illumination. Having a dimmer light on a base model over the handheld, really?
2. Ethernet port on front. The LAN activity lights will distract and blind you in a dark room if your sitting at you desk. Also if you use a RJ-45 cable with a connector cover, good luck getting it disconnected because the squelch/menu knob is in the way.
3. Changing of the volume/squelch. Yet another bright idea to swap them from all the other Uniden models. We had to relearn the function knob from the 996 series to the 536 and now you swap yet another function.
4. No compatibility with existing Uniden GPS. Just another accessory Uniden wants us to purchase. They could have left the older connection for those who already wired up their vehicles.
5. Poor quality control. too many variations coming off the assembly line.

Too bad the scanner division is not ran like the Radar Detectors or Dash Cam Divisions. They produce quality items which I use and they are leaders in the industry. The Uniden R3 is the king of detectors and soon the new Uniden R7 will beat it.

ddb

Premium Subscriber
Got my SDS200 in house today, set it up, and it's scanning away. I love it. I've got the SDS100/536HP/436HP as well, and have them all essentially programmed the same. The SDS200 clearly sounds and performs better. I'm not getting any of the reported (and demonstrated) hum.

I also really like that it is taller than the 536HP. It's weird, but I like that it is the size of the old school scanners -- using it feels like it did when I bought a brand new Pro-2006. I know that what I'm saying doesn't make a lot of sense -- but I like that it doesn't look like I've got a car stereo head unit on my desk.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Got my SDS200 in house today, set it up, and it's scanning away. I love it. I've got the SDS100/536HP/436HP as well, and have them all essentially programmed the same. The SDS200 clearly sounds and performs better. I'm not getting any of the reported (and demonstrated) hum.

I also really like that it is taller than the 536HP. It's weird, but I like that it is the size of the old school scanners -- using it feels like it did when I bought a brand new Pro-2006. I know that what I'm saying doesn't make a lot of sense -- but I like that it doesn't look like I've got a car stereo head unit on my desk.

Makes lots of sense to me. Been wanting a beefy new scanner to come along for quite some time now. Things starting getting smaller when the 780XLT came out. I still have my Pro 2006 and a BC895XLT and Pro-2035 (King of the Beefy) and I love their size. The SDS200 looks nice and beefy with waaaay more bells and whistles and lights and sirens and everything you could want in a scanner. Looks great on top of the 2035 with my 536 on top of it. Uniden knocked it out of the ball park with this one!

JD
kf4anc

Status
Not open for further replies.