• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

SDS200 Mounted On Dash - 2019 Ranger

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Alright...so here's what I'm thinking: SDS200 mounted atop the dash (that little center tray thing) in a 2019 Ford Ranger with a bracket from either Builtright Industries or Bulletpoint Mounting Solutions. My concern in this is how this location affects the longevity of the scanner (sunlight, etc).

Has anyone done this or something similar? I have an SDS100 installed in the vehicle but I'm not really happy with the solution I came up for it. It works, but I'm looking for something better, especially if I can eliminate the use of powered external speakers.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
As Dave3825 said, it will cause the radio to overheat, and shut down. Eventually, you'll have a component failure that may not be covered by the Uniden warranty if there's evidence that the radio was left to "cook" on your dashboard.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Alright...so here's what I'm thinking: SDS200 mounted atop the dash (that little center tray thing) in a 2019 Ford Ranger with a bracket from either Builtright Industries or Bulletpoint Mounting Solutions. My concern in this is how this location affects the longevity of the scanner (sunlight, etc).

Has anyone done this or something similar? I have an SDS100 installed in the vehicle but I'm not really happy with the solution I came up for it. It works, but I'm looking for something better, especially if I can eliminate the use of powered external speakers.

I once made the mistake of putting my RS 2042 on my dash. However, I was in Houston, Texas. Within 30 minutes, I returned to see plastic housing turned into a Dali Painting. It was warped beyond belief. RS had issues with getting certain parts, particularly for some models. Hence, I was able to replace the top case housing, but not the bottom.

I also once hung a heavy-duty CB microphone from the mirror. The sun fried the outer jacket. I had replaced it with a metal telephone styled cable.

I learned to never leave anything attached to the window or on the dash in hot weather, particularly Texas. I remove my Passport 360 radar detector, Vantrue N2 dashcam , and Garmin from the windshield.

Be careful.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
If I left anything as big as the SDS200 in plain site where I live in my car, it would get stolen within weeks. If you need to mount it, mount it so it is not visible to the world. Even in winter time cars can get warm in direct sunlight, use a heat resistant cover.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the feedback!

Exposure to direct sunlight was my primary concern. However, it would only be exposed while driving. When parked, I use a sunshade anytime the vehicle isn't parked in my garage (yep, even at night). As for the prying eyes aspect, I was planning to do the same thing that I currently do for my SDS100: cover it with a black "do rag" or just take it out.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
However, it would only be exposed while driving.
I was an hour into a trip when the phone I was using fro gps had to enter its Cooling Mode.
As for the prying eyes aspect, I was planning to do the same thing that I currently do for my SDS100: cover it with a black "do rag" or just take it out.
Just remember. black absorbs heat so if sunlight is hitting that black do rag, the radio will get warm underneath.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Thanks for the feedback!

Exposure to direct sunlight was my primary concern. However, it would only be exposed while driving. When parked, I use a sunshade anytime the vehicle isn't parked in my garage (yep, even at night). As for the prying eyes aspect, I was planning to do the same thing that I currently do for my SDS100: cover it with a black "do rag" or just take it out.
You'll get very annoyed if you take the path of removing it even some of the time.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
sunlight is hitting that black do rag
That's what the sunshades are for. The do rag only helps concealing the radio from view.

You'll get very annoyed if you take the path of removing it even some of the time.
Not really. Well, at least not any more annoyed than I am currently with taking the handheld out.

Down low on the console would be best.
That's where I have the handheld mounted. I don't really like it there, but that's my only option for it. I don't see a viable option for the '200 down low, unless I mount it sideways. that's not workable for me.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Not really. Well, at least not any more annoyed than I am currently with taking the handheld out.
Handhelds are easy. Removing two bolts and cables from a base unit would get frustrating. Installing would be even worse.

Overall, I don't believe that's a good mounting option.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Something like an SDS200 sitting ON the dash would drive me crazy. (Actually it's not a drive, it's a putt.) I don't want anything blocking my view of the roadway. Never have. I don't even hang anything from the mirror.

6079smithw

Dash mount likely a thief magnet, even the bracket indicates possible hidden treasures……..
Gotta agree, a lot of today's banditos are pretty tech-savvy. I just put my gear on the seat (I have multiple vehicles) and take it with me when I'm done. Agreed, it can be a PITA at times but ya can't steal something that isn't there...

bharvey2

I've never mounted anything up that high.

1. Too much of a temptation for those with sticky fingers and no self control.

2. I don't want the sun adding any extra heat to my electronic devices.

3. I prefer to keep any potential projectiles as low as possible no matter how well they're mounted. Also any impact surfaces (like in a traffic collision) should be smooth and a flat or rounded. Radios don't usually fit that description.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
I learned my lesson about mounting on the dash and sun damage the hard way. Back in 1977, during the CB craze, I had a kid's CB radio. Basically, it was a plastic box, with a chrome speaker grill, a few knobs and a mic on a plastic coiled cord. My parents told me not to put it in the back deck area of their Ford sedan. Me being me, I didn't listen. I was pretty upset when it was warped and bent worse than you can imagine. My parents, not being too sympathetic, told me that they warned me and I didn't listen so now I had to deal with it. :)

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I did a mock-up of the install using cardboard. It doesn't obstruct my view but it does make the dash look cluttered. So, it looks like I'll pass on this option.

Thanks y'all for the feedback!