[SDS200] No Voice Heard San Diego 700 Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alain

Paul et.al.,

Well, after listening to everyone who responded here, I felt compelled to just delete what was on the scanner, and upload to the scanner again from my laptop.

I've just completed that task and lo and behold[!], the City of San Diego's 700 Mhz system sprung back into life! Most peculiar, I must say! I cannot tell you what went wrong anymore than what just went right!

I'm receiving 4 and 5 bar signal strength from all San Diego City T/G's once again.

As always, after almost 18 years as a paying member of RadioReference, I want to thank everyone for their expertise and for taking the time to help me resolve this rather sticky, but now resolved issue.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I've had issues in the past that it was just easiest to delete and start from scratch! At least it's fixed, and hopefully you got it figured out before you pulled all your hair out.

Paul

Alain

I've had issues in the past that it was just easiest to delete and start from scratch! At least it's fixed, and hopefully you got it figured out before you pulled all your hair out.

Paul

Paul, I got one hair left and this almost caused me to lose that one! Thanks for the help!

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Paul, I got one hair left and this almost caused me to lose that one! Thanks for the help!

Glad you tried this! I was worried based on the weak control channel signal that the techs had tweaked something that changed your decode rate at home, but more common is the case when the programming in the scanner just gets out of whack for whatever reason (maybe the control channel ends up on an avoid list somehow, etc).

Whatever the reason, glad it’s working for you again!

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber

I'm glad this worked out. All computer devices seem to get into "blips," "fritzes" or the "twilight zone" now and again. Our big screen TV does this on occasion. I have to shut the TV off for several minutes and sometimes have to reboot the router and sometimes the modem to get it working normally again. Computer techs always ask the question "did you try rebooting yet"?

Some off topic comments:

If you figure out who you are hearing on 154.4300 in the future I would like to hear from you. I know some weird things are possible at times, especially when open water and mountains are involved. When I lived in Bridgeport (northern Mono County) there was a knife edged path over the Sierra and I could receive Cal Fire San Benito/Monterey Unit repeaters, one Cal Fire Santa Clara Unit repeater, Yosemite's Mt. Hoffman repeaters using a VHF high omni on a 30' mast and Monterey's 96.9 KWAV FM, full stereo, just using a common TV/FM beam antenna that was lower than the peak of my roof. Late at night when Channel 8 TV Reno (through 2 translators) used to go off the air, I could turn my rotor to get the beam aimed right at the path and could receive Monterey Channel 8 faintly on my TV. I wasn't really interested in what county/city systems I could hear as the path was very narrow.

I could bring up ham repeaters on Mt. Bullion, just north of the town of Mariposa, but only on 2m, not 70cm. When I made contacts along with my location, other hams could not believe it.

The quality of all signals seem to be influenced by the existence and quantity of some long term patches of snow. Here in Mammoth the ability to pick up Caltrans 800 MHz repeaters 15-70 miles to my north depend on the snow on the mountains south of town. So in drought years, I don't hear them as well as spring-summer-fall advances.

When I had Bodie SP/Mono Lake State Tufa Reserve state park employees over they could not believe I was getting KWAV live in Bridgeport. The state park ranger academy is located at Asilomar and they spend 16-19 weeks there. KWAV was their favorite radio station while there and they loved to listen to it when they came to my house. Most were 15-20 years in their careers so this allowed them to reminisce.

Your stories of hitting Breckenridge from San Diego County is really neat. This stuff is why radio is such a fun hobby!

Status
Not open for further replies.