SDS200 - Noise on analog frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

newsleader

I'm still tuning in a new SDS200.

It's a huge upgrade from 20-year-old analog units.

Thanks to help here, I've almost got it, but for one thing.

I have some police/fire frequencies that sound fine on my old analog scanner but which have some sort of digital noise over them on the SDS200. I've tried various settings to no avail. I've not messed with filters yet.

If you want to look them up in the database, one is Staunton Fire and Rescue:

460.55000 465.55000 WPKQ976 RMCSQSAFR DispStaunton-Augusta Fire & Rescue Dispatch FM EMS Dispatch

Another is Waynesboro Police Primary:

460.50000 465.50000 WNFG728 RM131.8 PL1Police Primary FM Law Dispatch

When logged in Proscan, they show up as conventional, but they show DMR under digital status.

Suggestions welcome, please.

Ubbe

SDS scanner have a lot more problems with interferenceis from adjacent channels and overload issues.
You have to fiddle with different filter settings but first try to enable IFX to the frequency and see if that helps.

/Ubbe

MStep

I have not noticed any unusual "noise" on analog transmissions on my particular unit. I always use my local NWS frequency as my first "go-to" for comparative purposes, and then my local PD and FD frequencies, which my ear is well accustomed to on the many radios I monitor. Stuff like base and treble response can vary from radio to radio, and one's ear usually has to become accustomed to the new sounds.

And I see Ubbe beat me to the punch regarding IFX for frequencies which you find troublesome, but digital noise on analog frequencies is one of the few things that I seldom see mentioned here.

I'm very happy with my SDS200, and I imagine that once you and your new radio "get accustomed" to one another, you will like it quite a bit as well.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Could you elaborate on "digital noise" a bit...?
How do you have them programmed, I assume conventional? (analog)?

Proscan.... where did the data come from? Are you an RR member and you downloaded it?
Go directly to RR and see what it says for those depts.

Do you hear the noise on anything else analog? Like WX?
Try listening to WX? Do you hear it then?
If it is specific to certain freq, then you have to look at why. (it isn't your radio - or better put, there is nothing wrong with your radio)

What is your RF environment? Do you live close to one of the aforementioned transmitters, or any radio towers? If yes, then filters/IFX are things to try. Remember, filters/IFX are location specific - they are to mitigate something interfering with your radio - at that specific location. They are not going to fix a lousy/weak signal. Then, you look at better antennas.

W3DMV

I stayed in Waynesboro several weeks ago and had no problem monitoring
the channels you listed. I was using a SDS200.
Try to get a moderator to move your post to the Virginia form. There are many users in your area
who I'm sure they can help you. Some of them are using SDS scanners due to the Rockingham system
but several also listen to Augusta Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.