SDS200 ordered

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
You say that now.......
😂 When I wanted to upgrade to digital scanner I sold off some of my personal stuff to fund it, collectables, old scanners, etc. I figured I could at least justify it as clearing out some clutter that I didn't mind parting with and didn't have to touch my bank account. Win-win!..at least I think so

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
Quick question. I don't have a card reader on my Alienware laptop, should I grab a usb to card adapter?

donc13

Premium Subscriber
You can, but typically the cards come ready to use. You have to "initialize" (creat directories, etc.) via Sentenial.

If you have to format the card, only use FAT32 filesystem.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Quick question. I don't have a card reader on my Alienware laptop, should I grab a usb to card adapter?
-
When you put the scanner into mass storage mode, it essentially becomes a card reader and can perform all necessary functions on the SD card. But a dedicated external card reader connected to your computer will be much faster, and much easier for making backup copies etc. Sentinel can access the card in the scanner or in the card reader. The “clear user data” function in Sentinel puts the necessary files on the card that the scanner needs to boot up.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber

Yes...you can update, swap out SD cards much easier. In addition, if you record, it's quicker to clear out the user rec file by using the drag and drop method. Amazon has them under $10 usually.

N9PVW

Premium Subscriber
My SDS200 is two years old, and I have had no problems. Also get yourself a good antenna.

sfb88

The decision on whether to get a USB card reader may depend on whether you have a base or portable scanner. Base scanners are relatively easy to remove and reinsert the card but other posts here have indicated that the card securing latches in the portables can be fragile.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
There is more wear and tear on the 200's card slot than on the 100's
The 100's latch is delacate though, I'll give ya that... But if done carefully, it's a piece of cake...

On the 100 to remove the card, with the scanner laying on it's face, I use my two index fingers...
One to lightly press down on the card and the other to slide the latch toward the side of the case...
To reinsert it I hold the scanner with the side of the case facing at a downward angle and the latch resting against the side of the case...
For me anyway, it makes it a little easier to line the card up in the latch assembly that way...
Then fold it back down, press the card down and slide the latch toward the center of the case...

Last edited:

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
The decision on whether to get a USB card reader may depend on whether you have a base or portable scanner. Base scanners are relatively easy to remove and reinsert the card but other posts here have indicated that the card securing latches in the portables can be fragile.

Can't find the post, but I saw someone who used a MicroSD to MicroSD Card Extension Cable Extender on their SDS200 (found on Amazon, just for the photo) because they were worried about the constant unplugging and replugging of the MicroSD Card to grab large amounts of recordings or something. The wear and tear is on the extension cable, and not the actual port on the SDS200. I personally don't eject my card as I update only once or twice a month, if that.
1662274108256.png

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Can't find the post, but I saw someone who used a MicroSD to MicroSD Card Extension Cable Extender on their SDS200
-
That was me…

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
My SDS200 is two years old, and I have had no problems. Also get yourself a good antenna.
I have a Omni X with LMR 400 currently hooked up. Also, have Sirrio Discone sitting in the garage.
-
That was me…

I like that idea, may I ask where you got that?

N4DJC

My first one had a hum that wasn’t 100% fixed with the grounding (it was something else). Joe Bearcat followed up with my scanner repair and sent a replacement. It’s been 100% solid. I’m extremely happy with mine, I like it a lot more than the 100. The audio is better to my ears and I like not dealing with battery charging along with the associated battery latch issues some have had. I would recommend Pro Scan in addition to Sentinel, it’s been very enlightening seeing the actual number of hits for each talkgroup.

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
-
This is the one I'm using:

Thanks for that link. I assume some of you guys are running silent since it doesn't show you on line.
My first one had a hum that wasn’t 100% fixed with the grounding (it was something else). Joe Bearcat followed up with my scanner repair and sent a replacement. It’s been 100% solid. I’m extremely happy with mine, I like it a lot more than the 100. The audio is better to my ears and I like not dealing with battery charging along with the associated battery latch issues some have had. I would recommend Pro Scan in addition to Sentinel, it’s been very enlightening seeing the actual number of hits for each talkgroup.
Yeah, I'm excited to get it and lose the garble. I'll jump into Pro Scan once I get a little more familiar with programming. Programming is a little scary at first, but the more I read, the more it makes sense. I'm sure once I get the unit and start playing it'll start sinking in.

N4DJC

Thanks for that link. I assume some of you guys are running silent since it doesn't show you on line.

Yeah, I'm excited to get it and lose the garble. I'll jump into Pro Scan once I get a little more familiar with programming. Programming is a little scary at first, but the more I read, the more it makes sense. I'm sure once I get the unit and start playing it'll start sinking in.

There definitely is a learning curve, but trial and error is normal. Stick to the basics at first. I only monitor P-25 and DMR on mine, all but one are simulcast systems. I never realized how much I was missing on my 436 until I bought the 200.

KV4PM

Fairhope, AL USA & Nambour, Queensland Australia
I'll jump into Pro Scan once I get a little more familiar with programming. Programming is a little scary at first, but the more I read, the more it makes sense. I'm sure once I get the unit and start playing it'll start sinking in.

Exactly, it'll click once you get going with it. Whilst I consider ProScan a must-have, I keep Sentinel on my PC for firmware upgrades (only done 1) but mostly for colour / display changes. Took me a while to get one I liked. Another tip: if you decide to get a Nexedge and/or DMR upgrade, get them directly from Uniden, saves a few bucks. I have the former but not the latter, and works really well.