SDS200 ordered

6079smithw

-
Favorites lists and custom scanner settings are stored on the SD card.
For a complete backup of your current programming in Sentinel, you can just write from Sentinel to a spare SD card in the scanner or in a card reader. You could also make a copy of an SD card using Windows Explorer... just copy all of the folders and files from the SD card to another SD card.... or you can copy them to a folder on your computer and just copy them back to another SD card when you want to use the backup.
Do make a couple of backups. Store one in a safe place and carry the other when you travel.
You'll be glad you did if ever your SD card goes corrupt on the road near BFE.
I speaketh from experience.

wtp

from Bales60 "I'd love to hear it in that Australia accent" .

is that where they type little lines and dots over vowels ??

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
Another quick question. I'm going to order some new cables. I currently have 75' of 400 running in though a window that I disconnect at night and shut the window, because I wasn't sure of a few things. I've since moved the antenna way closer to where the scanner is. I have the Omni X installed right now that telescopes from about 10'-20'. I'll now need 25' of 400 to get into the house and hook up to the Poly Phaser. My main question, I need about 8' of cable to get to the scanner from there, should I get 400Flex, or would something smaller be OK? Also, big thanks to @tvengr for helping with a few things.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Brales60, I used to bring my coax through the window like you. Didn’t want to drill a big hole for my LMR400 coax. I instead bought a 5 foot extension using RG 58. Where my satellite cable comes in the house, I expanded that hole for the RG58 to get through. Works great. No noticeable loss of signal. Goes to my 4 port connection.

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
Kinda of what I thought, thanks. Yeah, concrete block houses here and a big hole is a PITA, but I have some other stuff coming throught the wall in the same area.

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
Which Poly Phaser or similar brand do I need? I see different MHz listed for some of these things. Most of my stuff is in the 700 range.

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
Scanner is out for delivery today. New cables should be here Tuesday, so I can make this more permanent and not have to run the cable through the window.

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
The jury is out on this, for sure clearer. Still a little garble, seems like some of them key up and drop off quick. It's for sure a cool unit. Guess I need to play with it some more. Omni X is still at 10', but can go up to 20'. The airport **** is cool, but analog and seems week. Volume needs to be raised on the local airport, I can hear the tower and pilots. It's about 5-7 miles away I'd guess. Be cool if they could do a smart sound like some of the newer TV's.

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for that, it helps. I wonder if that has anything to do with one of my signals just having a tad of garble? Only tower I can see is quite away to the south.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for that, it helps. I wonder if that has anything to do with one of my signals just having a tad of garble? Only tower I can see is quite away to the south.
-
Don't forget to experiment with the filters if problems with reception persist. Check here for a guide for setting filters through the menu system:

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
Thanks again. I can't seem find filters in Sentinel. The scanner doesn't need to be plugged into my laptop does it?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Thanks again. I can't seem find filters in Sentinel. The scanner doesn't need to be plugged into my laptop does it?
-
The scanner doesn't need to be connected to the laptop to actually change the filter settings in Sentinel, but they won't take effect until you connect the scanner and write to it.

Much easier to change settings on the fly in the scanner so you can see immediate results, and write to Sentinel to keep the settings you want.

In Sentinel... use the profile editor under the "Miscellaneous" tab for GLOBAL settings,

and use the favorites list editor for INDIVIDUAL settings:
for conventional systems at the department level, and for P25 systems under the sites tab

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
OK, this SDS200 is the bomb. Pouring rain, and barely any garble. I have the new cables installed, along with the lightning deal and will drill the big hole through the solid concrete wall tomorrow morning to make it more, turn it on when we want. I'll start messing with filters and other crap then. I did put my antenna all the way up, and I get the local airport great, including the pilots. Even catching a tad of the Seminole Gulf rail for their murder mystery deal they run.

Theo

Premium Subscriber
OK gang, yeah I’m new. I currently have an 996P2, but as I’ve learned from here and trial and error, it’s not the best unit for my region. Charlotte County, Fl. So, after much research, and reading here (to extend my brain hurts, lol) along with the very helpful replies from a bunch of members, I ordered a SDS200 from Scanner Masters. I did pay for them to program my county like I did the 996. Kind of second guessing myself now, as I loaded Sentinel, and started playing with it and have what I want to hear configured. Maybe I should have just tried to program this myself. Yeah, I saw all the zip code stuff and watched a ton of videos. I guess my main question is, do I just let this come in and tweak from there? I also looked at the ProScan stuff as well, but didn’t do a ton of research yet on it. I assume there’s a way to reset and start fresh if need be. Thanks for reading.
Did You survive the Hurricane?

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
I did fine short of a ton of soffit damage. Thank goodness for a new roof, accordion and electric roll down shutters.