sds200 Over Limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seymourmtn

Premium Subscriber
Just did a Firmware and Database update. All went well...until, I added one Talkgroup, from RR.
If I use the Favorites List with the new TG, I get an Over Limit screen note.

Thoughts of what is happening?

Thanks
Doug

Ravenfalls

Premium Subscriber
Previous Thread

Same here. I loaded So Cal & have same error. Currently my Arizona file is (600 bytes) getting close to full..

1MB Max per favorites list in New released $900 scanner with upgrades & accessories.

That reason I just bought used BCD996 as base instead of SDS200. 1/4 price & I can deal with limits spending that amount.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
What was the size of the Favorites List file just before you added the one talkgroup?

I've got 40 some Favorites Lists I've created for myself and others. The largest of which 700 KB and it has 4 statewide systems in it. So a person would have to be a real power user with lots of channels and Radio IDs to be getting close to the 1MB file size limit.

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
I agree OFD...they must have programmed something very unusual in the FL. I have 5 FL and they each hold around 400 sites and has around 1500 TGID's...I still have room to run but why bother? I have 3 other scanners to share the load!!!!!!!!!!!!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Just did a Firmware and Database update. All went well...until, I added one Talkgroup, from RR.
If I use the Favorites List with the new TG, I get an Over Limit screen note.

Thoughts of what is happening?

Thanks
Doug
If you appended "one talkgroup" from the main database in the scanner, then the append process also brings over all the sites for the system. Take another look at the size of the Favorites list in the Profile editor. It's probably over 1mb now.

Look at the system where you 'added one talkgroup'. See if you find a number of sites or departments that are duplicated.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Previous Thread

Same here. I loaded So Cal & have same error. Currently my Arizona file is (600 bytes) getting close to full..

1MB Max per favorites list in New released $900 scanner with upgrades & accessories.

That reason I just bought used BCD996 as base instead of SDS200. 1/4 price & I can deal with limits spending that amount.
While there is a 1MB size limit on a single Favorites list, you can always break that up into multiple lists, each below the 1MB limit. You can have up to 256 Favorites lists. That's considerably larger than the 25K 'channels' limits of the 996 series scanners.

jjbond

Banned
Banned
Guess that defeats the purpose of having a micro SD card, I assumed the limit was the capacity of the micro SD card but apparently they cheaped out big time on the internal chipset the card has to propagate...

Guess that defeats the purpose of having a micro SD card, I assumed the limit was the capacity of the micro SD card but apparently they cheaped out big time on the internal chipset the card has to propagate...

Not really if you consider the voice recordings you can do. And do you think you would have a need to exceed the 256 1MB FL's in one area?

Hit_Factor

If you haphazardly program a favorites list you can exceed 1 MB pretty easily.

This scanner takes skills to operate efficiently, it's not an entry level device.

73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300, IC-PW1, ID-5100A, ID-51A Plus 2, IC-R30, Hytera PD782G, Kenwood TH-D74, Uniden SDS100, DVMega, SDRplay RSPduo

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Waiting for UP Man say if this can be fixed with firmware??
I would not hold my breath waiting for that to happen. There's a practical limit of how large a list the scanner's memory can handle. You're only going to bump into the 1mb limit if appending a huge statewide system, and/or adding thousands of UIDs. You'd end up with a oversized Favorites list that seemingly takes forever to scan, causing you to miss calls completely, or only catching the tail end of conversations, because the scanner had too much to wade through before running across an active talkgroup.

If you absolutely positively need to have such a large system (or collection of systems) be scanned at one time, just divvy it up between several favorites lists. If someone did that with multiple oversized lists, I'd just sit back and wait until they start a new thread complaining about scan speed and missed calls.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
You can always split your systems up amongst several Fav Lists. No need to pack a whole bunch into one. I like to do one county per Fav List, that way I can easily zero in on one area when something big is happening.

Ubbe

Unidens most advanced scanners use DMA, Dynamic Memory Architecture, but not all data use it. To simplify the coding of the firmware some data have fixed positions in memory, with a start and end position that doesn't change dynamicly. Permanents avoids and IFX being two of them, having a maximum of 255 each. There are other data as well that do not use DMA and changing any of them to DMA would mean a total change of concept how the scanners memory are used, something that seems unlikly to happen as it is a lot of work involved doing that and the current problem can easily be solved by users re-thinking their program strategy.

/Ubbe

Dark_Side

Ok you card has #1 or #2 Problem

1.you have been recording and maxed memory

2.Your favorites List is Every thing as one list and one list only
each list is 1 MB limit

Look @ the screen shot of list i have Multiple List
Use (Select List to monitor) to enable dis-able Scan List
Watch the Size *the 436hp/536hp acts the same with list Size

ARC536PRO is a good tool for SDS-100
*For imports With ARC536/ARC536PRO you must be a Radioreference Premium Subscriber*

Fav-List-ScShot.png

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The question of whether Favorites Lists can have the max size increased. Upman, I believe, said this would be impractical due to hardware issues. Also, I'm sure there would be a backwards capability issue for existing scanners.

jjbond

Banned
Banned
I totally forgot about the recording feature, disregard my earlier comment.

rellyrell

Premium Subscriber
I cant find any specifics about the SDS100/200 internal memory size. So I will assume that it uses the SD Card similar to how a PC uses its hard drive, for storage purposes. It then loads what it needs from the SD card into its active internal memory (which of course has a limit, thus the FL max size limit). I notice that when FL lists are selected/deselected the SDS has to go through a loading process which also happens when settings are changed or when the scanner is powered ON/OFF. Whenever the scanner is powered of it "writes" any changes to the SD card to be recalled during the next power on sequence.

While I've never run into that "over limit" error on my SDS100, I do know that some editing/trimming should be done when trying to add an entire statewide system into a FL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.