SDS200 Pop

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4DJC

Let us know. I got in writing from them that they would replace it if they couldn't fix the pop.

I absolutely will, but I'm not getting my hopes up. It's well within the warranty period (3/2021). I wrote specific explanations of the issue on the repair request. I figured it was worth a try.

ApexMark

My replacement just arrived. At first I thought, "not there!" but then I listened (much) more closely and heard it.
Subjectively speaking - it's significantly less than the one it replaced. The first time I turned on the first one I instantly asked, "what is that?"

My subjective experience between the two is something like:

1. <Pop!> Transmission <Pop!>

2. (tic) Transmission (tic)

It takes quite an effort to notice it on this second one. And I have no interest in straining my ear to obsess over it. I'm not qualified to judge whether it will be harmful in the long run. It's a remarkable radio, and now it's time to begin enjoying it sitting alongside my 100 and 15X. I did purchase the additional year warranty on it.

Thanks everyone.
Mark

ApexMark

My replacement just arrived. At first I thought, "not there!" but then I listened (much) more closely and heard it.
Subjectively speaking - it's significantly less than the one it replaced. The first time I turned on the first one I instantly asked, "what is that?"

My subjective experience between the two is something like:

1. <Pop!> Transmission <Pop!>

2. (tic) Transmission (tic)

It takes quite an effort to notice it on this second one. And I have no interest in straining my ear to obsess over it. I'm not qualified to judge whether it will be harmful in the long run. It's a remarkable radio, and now it's time to begin enjoying it sitting alongside my 100 and 15X. I did purchase the additional year warranty on it.

Thanks everyone.
Mark

Here is a video of a couple of transmissions. Nearly non-existent. The only tic I can hear is at the end of the final transmission in the video, at 1.07. I had to shut everything shut down (computer, etc.) to get things quiet enough. The scanner had been running several hours. It seemed a bit more noticeable when I first ran it cold.

ApexMark

Here is a video of a couple of transmissions. Nearly non-existent. The only tic I can hear is at the end of the final transmission in the video, at 1.07. I had to shut everything shut down (computer, etc.) to get things quiet enough. The scanner had been running several hours. It seemed a bit more noticeable when I first ran it cold.

..well the "click/click" clicking or "snap/snap" snapping or "tick/tick" ticking or "pop/pop" popping noticeably returned after posting that, though there may be a difference based on channel type I haven't investigated. The dataset I chose for the video was too small. I'm vacillating between recording videos of it (redundant, since they are already online by others) and just trying to forget about it - which are opposing goals. I'm starting to assume this is widespread across these units and is expected (is it the amp which is kicking on & off?) I'm guessing there is variability across units and/or how noticeable it is to different people, given how we all perceive sounds differently.

I have to strive to deprogram my ear. I have excellent hearing by nature and am very sensitive to sounds. I'm the type who can instantly notice the faint frogs way out back or a far off bird, and then that's all I hear. So for me it's a bit of a torture. It feels like there's a tiny beetle in my ear clicking away whenever I listen to this scanner. I'm sure my brain will desensitize in time. Part of that will likely mean avoiding these threads!

crippledchicken

Premium Subscriber
With all the problems they keep having, I think they should at least enable DMR, NXDN, & PROVOICE on all the new sales and, make the upgrades free to those who already own one that's not, already upgraded They should feel obligated!

N4DJC

Got mine back from Uniden yesterday, the mild popping at the beginning and end of each transmission is still there. Don’t waste your time and shipping cost, they don‘t have a clue. All they did was add a “ground wire”.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
One of my SDS 200s (even with the mitigation part) started a minor HUM again. I reset the mitigation part and it reduced it again. Enough already, I decided to do the solder wire ground fix. One SDS 200 (the first) was a PITA but it took the noise away. The second SDS 200 was a lot easier and to be truthful I was more experienced, went a lot better. What issues did I have with the 1st unit you ask. Mostly the wire obstructing the case and the case not going together correctly. After much wire bending moving the wire terminal I got it to fit. Now both of my SDS 200 scanners have no noise whatsoever, and I don't have to reseat the mitigation part every so often. Thank God! Also, I don't have to use the audio off feature to get rid of noise.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
With all the problems they keep having, I think they should at least enable DMR, NXDN, & PROVOICE on all the new sales and, make the upgrades free to those who already own one that's not, already upgraded They should feel obligated!
Can I get FREE service for LIFE on my 2019 Chevy Blazer for all the issues it has? Come on GM feel obligated.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
1. Does your unit pop when the speaker opens? Yes
2. If yes, have you successful had it fixed by Uniden under warranty? Did not attempt to file warranty
3. If yes for 1, have you ever fixed it yourself? Yes,by using a >headphone inline volume thingy< with an external speaker. Slight attenuation lowers the pop to inaudible, but you have to turn the volume up on the scanner.
After the wire ground fix I use the Uniden BC23A amplified speaker or the Undien BC15 speaker with no issues at all. Of note: I'm older and my hearing isn't what it once was, but before the ground wire fix I couldn't use the BC23A with the SDS 200 because of the noise.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I remember when I got the sds200 a day later after I got it was popping and humming it was loud. Than @StaticDischarge found the issue I send the sds200 to him and came back with no hum or popping.

N4DJC

I remember when I got the sds200 a day later after I got it was popping and humming it was loud. Than @StaticDischarge found the issue I send the sds200 to him and came back with no hum or popping.

Mine had the hum, but I did the @StaticDischarge fix and it was eliminated. The click or pop remained. It‘s an audio amp issue, perhaps capacitor discharge. Sending it out for repair was a futile gesture.

ToTheBitCave

Phreakness Monster
Premium Subscriber
Mine had both the loud pop AND hum. I did the StaticDischarge fix, but I also left the piece in there. Absolutely no more hum, and the popping is gone. It's quiet :)

Ubbe

I am not a UNIDEN employee and have not bought a 'NEW' SDS 200 but I doubt they did anything other than add the mitigation part.
They have soldered extra grounding wires to the newer units that will bypass the mitigation part, which was a solution that the user could do himself, and are a more secure grounding compared to the mitigation part but the control heads circuit board are still ungrounded.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.