SDS200/Proscan NXDN Programing Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnbound

Premium Subscriber
I have a local city Police and Fire department and also the County Sheriff that uses NXDN 4800 NEXEDGE system programming and I have tried programming it conventional which seems to work the best for listening to the system. I have tried one frequency Trunk and also the full NXDN trunk which I can't seem to find the LCN with the analyze function. How do I find out if there is an LCN and which way should it be programmed for maximum effeciency and data? Also one more question it seems when I program it as a trunk I tend to get less calls since there is not a priority function for the one Freq program? I also use the FCC database to program all the sights.
Thanks in advance for any help.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I believe they are all seperate but the city may be one system I'm not sure which way to go with them are they all part of the county system or is the city together and County seperate Maury County, Tennessee (TN) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
The NXDN frequencies for the county (Maury), as well as the city of Columbia are licensed as conventional, not as trunked systems. That does not guarantee that they are not using a trunked system, but that is not the way they are licensed.

Also, on the database page, a number of the entries are incomplete:
1642829948618.png
These are tagged as NXDN, but no indication of what RAN (if any) is being used.
Look at some of the Columbia listings:
1642830065597.png
An RAN is listed for two of them, but blank for the others.

There is likely a talkgroup assigned, but it is not listed either. It's also possible that they simply use deither a default TGID of, say, 1, or maybe none.

If I were trying to figure this one out, I would program these into a One Frequency Trunked system. Each frequency as a separate site, with the RAN field set as Search. I would set the system as ID Search, and recommend creating a department with a dummy TGID as a placekeeper. You can create a site for each frequency, labeling it with the alpha tag shown on the database page (i.e MCSO-DISP1 D). Set the scanner to record all transmissions. Let it run for a while, to get a good selection of transmissions received.

Once you've let it run, put the scanner in mass storage mode, like you were going to update programming. You can use the Universal Scanner Audio Player to review your recordings. It will display any information from the recordings as to RAN and talkgroups (if any). I would copy the audio files to your PC, and read them off the pc, but you can also listen to them while still stored on the scanner.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Just to add some information here, NXDN OFT (One Frequency Trunk), systems have been problematic for the x36hp and SDS scanners since NXDN was added as an option. For some reason, the scanner will "skip" right over it, but has no issues landing on a DMR OFT system. My "theory" is that the scanner "ignores" the default talkgroup of 0 which is common in NXDN OFT systems, while DMR OFT systems use number talkgroups (1-xxx) for example.

I have a few NXDN OFT systems that I have reverted back to Conventional programming so the scanner will stop on conversations. When you program it, make sure you use Digital mode, and assign the RAN to the frequency.

If you'd like to see the Radio ID's being broadcast, you can add that to your display, but it will only work if you select Unit ID. Unit ID w/name does not work in Uniden digital conventional mode, and it will not display if that option is chosen.

tnbound

Premium Subscriber
The NXDN frequencies for the county (Maury), as well as the city of Columbia are licensed as conventional, not as trunked systems. That does not guarantee that they are not using a trunked system, but that is not the way they are licensed.

View attachment 115443
View attachment 115444

There is likely a talkgroup assigned, but it is not listed either. It's also possible that they simply use deither a default TGID of, say, 1, or maybe none.

If I were trying to figure this one out, I would program these into a One Frequency Trunked system. Each frequency as a separate site, with the RAN field set as Search. I would set the system as ID Search, and recommend creating a department with a dummy TGID as a placekeeper. You can create a site for each frequency, labeling it with the alpha tag shown on the database page (i.e MCSO-DISP1 D). Set the scanner to record all transmissions. Let it run for a while, to get a good selection of transmissions received.

Once you've let it run, put the scanner in mass storage mode, like you were going to update programming. You can use the Universal Scanner Audio Player to review your recordings. It will display any information from the recordings as to RAN and talkgroups (if any). I would copy the audio files to your PC, and read them off the pc, but you can also listen to them while still stored on the scanner.

View attachment 115443
View attachment 115444

Great info thank you! I did neglect to say that I have the TGID for police of 65002 and fire of 65000, sheriff is 64003 I believe but I only receive one frequency and it is fully encrypted but I do get the TGID and UID on the radio but not on proscan for some reason and only for a fraction of a second. I will try to program them all as independent sites to see if that helps.

tnbound

Premium Subscriber
Just to add some information here, NXDN OFT (One Frequency Trunk), systems have been problematic for the x36hp and SDS scanners since NXDN was added as an option. For some reason, the scanner will "skip" right over it, but has no issues landing on a DMR OFT system. My "theory" is that the scanner "ignores" the default talkgroup of 0 which is common in NXDN OFT systems, while DMR OFT systems use number talkgroups (1-xxx) for example.

I have a few NXDN OFT systems that I have reverted back to Conventional programming so the scanner will stop on conversations. When you program it, make sure you use Digital mode, and assign the RAN to the frequency.

If you'd like to see the Radio ID's being broadcast, you can add that to your display, but it will only work if you select Unit ID. Unit ID w/name does not work in Uniden digital conventional mode, and it will not display if that option is chosen.
Great info also I noticed running both conventional and OFT from the beginning at the same time that the OFC heard transmissions only about a third of the conventional systems. Here is another question can I delete the site 0 and program starting with site one? Or can I use site one as a dummy with any frequencie number in it's place or insert 2 of the same first frequency on the list in site onee and two?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Great info also I noticed running both conventional and OFT from the beginning at the same time that the OFC heard transmissions only about a third of the conventional systems. Here is another question can I delete the site 0 and program starting with site one? Or can I use site one as a dummy with any frequencie number in it's place or insert 2 of the same first frequency on the list in site onee and two?

If you program as a NXDN OFT system and this isn't a NXDN Trunking System, you program it as a Conventional System (no site needed), under Audio Type is use Digital only, then under Digital Options on the pop up, I select the RAN (if it's known). If it's not known, I believe Digital Code Search will display the RAN in the display if you have that option showing.

tnbound

Premium Subscriber
If you program as a NXDN OFT system and this isn't a NXDN Trunking System, you program it as a Conventional System (no site needed), under Audio Type is use Digital only, then under Digital Options on the pop up, I select the RAN (if it's known). If it's not known, I believe Digital Code Search will display the RAN in the display if you have that option showing.
Great info thanks again

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Also if you program a SDSx00 as a NXDN OFT it displays the Radio Alias that is programmed in the Transmitting Radio.

That's up to the administrator when they set up the programming whether or not to display Alias ID's. I have a trunking system that does it, and an OFT system that doesn't. Hit or miss..

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
That means that the radios on the system do not show names either has nothing to do about the scanner.

Correct, but it's not always a guarantee on a NXDN system you'll see Alias ID's.

One of my "wish list" items was having an option on NXDN Trunking Systems is to auto-save Alias ID's if available, instead of pressing the Enter button, scrolling to Save Unit ID. You could then perform a Read from Scanner on that system, and they'll be saved.

tnbound

Premium Subscriber
While scanning my city police and fire and they are both NXDN departments I am getting both NX4 and IDS in my Digital Status column on the main police dispatch channel. The Base side is in the clear and the mobile side is encrypted and I am getting both NX$ and IDS on UID's and TGID's. It's not making any sense to me. Should I be setting the Police to IDAS and not a RAN setting and if so what setting 0 or 1?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
While scanning my city police and fire and they are both NXDN departments I am getting both NX4 and IDS in my Digital Status column on the main police dispatch channel. The Base side is in the clear and the mobile side is encrypted and I am getting both NX$ and IDS on UID's and TGID's. It's not making any sense to me. Should I be setting the Police to IDAS and not a RAN setting and if so what setting 0 or 1?

Since I'm not familiar with what you are seeing, but you can experiment and see what comes up.

The submission shows digital and NXDN frequencies, so you will have to program the NXDN with a RAN, and the digital as search.

Status
Not open for further replies.