SDS100/SDS200: SDS200 Removing the Outer Casing for Vehicle Install

Elpablo

Hi All,

Has anyone removed the outer casing of the SDS200 to get it to fit into a vehicle install with success? In my case, it won't fit with the outer shell in my ideal space, but if I remove it, it fits pretty snug. Might anyone have any insight if this can be problematic to use and install in a vehicle without the outer shell. Thanks in advance for your comments.

EP

rf_patriot200

Hi All,

Has anyone removed the outer casing of the SDS200 to get it to fit into a vehicle install with success? In my case, it won't fit with the outer shell in my ideal space, but if I remove it, it fits pretty snug. Might anyone have any insight if this can be problematic to use and install in a vehicle without the outer shell. Thanks in advance for your comments.

EP
I wouldn't. I'd find a different mounting location, or maybe remote it over to a tablet.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Other than loosing some RF shielding, which the case may or may not provide… a non-covered radio could subject it to interference. Each installation has its own pitfalls.

I don’t know if the SDS200 is spec’ed as a double-din type radio… and I’ve never investigated a custom install so I will leave it to others to advise further.

ems55

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't. I'd find a different mounting location, or maybe remote it over to a tablet.
I have been thinking about doing just that !! Thanks !!! BUT i don't know where to start. Any pointers as to tablet & software ??? TIA Michael

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Look at page 17 of the owner's manual. That tells you how to adapt it to fit a standard DIN opening.

That must be the paper manual that came with the unit you speak of, since page 17 in the online manual describes Understanding Location. I could not find anything relevant about installation or mounting in the online manual.

1712594579879.png

Marks scanners on the other hand does mention something about it.

DIN-E and ISO Vehicle Mountable (SDS200 only) - Using the optional DIN-E sleeve or a standard ISO technique, the scanner can be easily mounted in most vehicles.

Elpablo

Thanks for the responses. If you have more detail on "remote it over to a tablet" I would be interested on how to go about that.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
That must be the paper manual that came with the unit you speak of, since page 17 in the online manual describes Understanding Location. I could not find anything relevant about installation or mounting in the online manual.

The 2018 version of the online PDF manual for the SDS200 shows detailed instructions for ISO - DIN mounting on page 17, and the "Understanding Location" info is on page 22.

The 2019 online PDF version shows the "Understanding Location" info on page 17, with no mention of DIN mounting in that version of the manual.