SDS200 Scan speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crippledchicken

Premium Subscriber
Does the Whistler WS1065 have a faster scan speed than the SDS200? My SDS is hooked to a Radio Shack Discone antenna and my Whistler is just connected to an outside mobile magnet mount Tram. What I don't understand, is why the Whistler almost always stops on a frequency faster than my Uniden. The Uniden is usually at least 2 words behind the Whistler when they both stop on the same frequency? It doesn't matter if it's analog or digital. Thanks!

freqseeker

You say two words behind. Are those two words missed or just delayed?
I noticed my SDS's are a tad bit delayed from my 996T, but they don't miss any words. It does cause a echo effect. My guess is the processing that the SDS's do.

Ubbe

The Uniden is usually at least 2 words behind the Whistler when they both stop on the same frequency? It doesn't matter if it's analog or digital.
I've noticed the same thing when I have a SDS100 stationary on a frequency and compare to another scanner. It sometimes are slow to unmute and miss the first word if the squelch where closed on an analog frequency, no subtones used like in marine and air bands. Can't really tell if it's the same on digital systems.

I sometimes have DND Prio enabled on the SDS100 so it could be that it's in the prio check scanning of my 20 channels and then miss the start of the activity on the monitored frequency. And it might be that it takes longer to do a prio check compared to a BCD536 where I never see this problem and are always set to DND Prio, or it works differently with a different time when it starts its prio checks. I have both low-vhf and uhf channels in my prio list so the SDS scanner are for sure much slower to scan them as it is extremly slow in the frequency jump to and from low-vhf channels.

If you have Priority scan enabled, try and disable it and see if that helps.

/Ubbe

crippledchicken

Premium Subscriber
It's usually 2 or 3 words missed and, I 've tried reversing the scan direction on my SDS200. also, no priority scan turned on Thanks folks! :)

Last edited:

Ubbe

My scanners are not scanning, they are stationary on the channel. And crippledchicken seem to indicate that his scanner has stopped on the frequency when he misses the initial words.

The digital wait time that mutes any digital data noise are not enabled in my scanners as the marin and air channels are set to analog only. It's only active when you have set a mix of analog+digital to a channel.

Crippled chicken, can you check if you have that timer set to a very high setting. If you haven't it set to 0 then use 100mS as it usually isn't neccesary to go any higher than that.

/Ubbe

baker50021

Nothing scientific but play with the squelch, my Whistlers seem to function better with little or no squelch while the 1st thing I noticed on my SDS100 is scanning speed slowed with a 0 squelch.

Ubbe

When you set the squelch to 0 it will think that it has a carrier on the frequency and will spend time trying to decode it and will give up after some 100mS. It will be less than a 10ch/s scan rate.

Whistlers squelch are not optimized and have too much difference in signal strenght where it will open and where it will close, making it hard to set to a value where it opens on a weak signal but also high enough where it closes SQ and continues to scan.

/Ubbe

Ubbe

I have a Whistler ws1080 and a Uniden 436 hp and the Whistler always pick up the transmissions faster than my Uniden.
It will depend on several things if one scanner will be faster to pick up a conversation than another scanner. Uniden scanners seems to have problem to properly decode DMR signals when a Whistler have no problem at all. In trunked systems a Uniden needs to decode the control channel and then switch to a voice channel and sync to it before it will start to decode. A Whistler goes directly to the voice channels and decode.

They use different firmware codes and techniques to scan channels and system and sometimes Uniden are the best performer and at other times a Whistler. It's best to have scanners from both brands, or even several more from AOR and Icom as well, to be able to fully enjoy the scanner hobby.

/Ubbe

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
On a trunked system it can take a few milliseconds for even "real" radios to "catch up" with transmissions. For example, my vehicle radio is set to Fire 1 and scans a number of other talkgroups including TAC 81. If my portable has selected TAC 81 and a transmission happens, there is a noticeable delay before I start hearing the conversation on my vehicle radio.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Talkgroups aren't scanned. Ever. On any competently designed and programmed radio.

The radio may scan multiple SITES and/or control channel frequencies. But talkgroup IDs are looked up in the programming data when they are received from the control channel, never scanned.

Status
Not open for further replies.