SDS200 Scan speed

Ret_Batt_Chief

Premium Subscriber
New SDS200 owner here. I don't see anywhere to adjust scan speed. When scanning analog systems it seems to scan much slower than older analog scanners. Also when scanning digital trunk sites (no, I don't scan them at the same time) it seems to scan frequencies in a given system slowly. Is this my imagination? has anyone else experienced this?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Once upon a time ago, I read something, but after searching cannot re-locate it, that the scan rate was 80 channels per second.'

Analog scanning is handled different than trunked scanning. As such, you cannot compare the two with respect to speed.

A scanner will Hold on a site for a pre-determined time and evaluate the control channel data. It looks to see what talkgroups have received channel grants and then compares those talkgroups with your scanlist. If there is a match, then the scanner goes to the assigned voice frequency and monitors the traffic. You can have 1 or 1000 talkgroups "active" in your scanner and the speed is the same.

ToddWilkinson

ScanMN
The SDS model is not a quick scanning unit, i'll use my new sds100 for trunking, and my pro 107 or ws1065 for analog, and one for Aircraft!

Ubbe

New SDS200 owner here. I don't see anywhere to adjust scan speed.
It probably suffers from the same bug that SDS100 has. At some point in the firmware development, about where the diagnostic log where reduced to half speed sampling, the scan rate went down from 80ch/s to 45ch/s. As search speed still are 80 step/s and more it doesn't have any logical explanation other than being a software bug.

Everything else are the same as in the older Uniden trunked models regarding hold times and similar functions. If you have only used non trunked analog scanners prior to owning a SDS scanner it will seem to be scanning slow as it needs to stay at least 1,5sec on each digital trunked site to properly decode and analyze the signal until it can determine that there's no conversation active that should be monitored and it can continue to scan.

If you have set to scan only one service type or a couple of TG's and neither of those would be active, then it would take at least 15 sec to scan 10 sites that might be divided over 2 systems. Then you could be scanning other systems and analog channels as well that could make it do one full scan cycle in 30 seconds. In that time a conversation could have been started and ended in a system without you even knowing about it.
When scanning several digital trunked systems you will soon notice that you will want to have more than one scanner, or 2-way radios, to do your monitoring.

/Ubbe

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
New SDS200 owner here. I don't see anywhere to adjust scan speed. When scanning analog systems it seems to scan much slower than older analog scanners. Also when scanning digital trunk sites (no, I don't scan them at the same time) it seems to scan frequencies in a given system slowly. Is this my imagination? has anyone else experienced this?
-
Do you have any filter settings set to "Auto"

gary123

Like with all scanners. The less complex the scan list conditions the faster it will process the information. I have found that having one trunked and several conventional in a single list works great. One thing I did notice although its hard to document is that if the scanned channels both analog and digital had only one or two service types the scan seemed to be faster or more effective in catching the traffic on a channel.

IE one trunked (11 TG) all one one service type (LE), 4 conventional (Fire) and 1 conventional (air).

A simple experiment to see if this helps you is to set all service types to 'custom1' and run the scanner for a day or so to see if you notice any changes. If not you can reload the old file with the different service types.

I can confirm that I did see one scanner that was real slow but the user had 11 P25 trunked systems, over 200 TGs all enabled. 3 DMR trunked 18 TG , 1 NXDN trunked 3 TG, 36 conventional frequencies and 40 CB radio frequencies. Creating streamlined scan lists fixed thier problem. I kept the scanner codeplug because it had everything for every system in it and all nicely labeled and departmented.

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

It depends greatly on how it's programmed. If you're using entire database and the zip-code method and choosing various services it will be very slow. Adjusting your scanning radius range and minimizing it will help. It's best to limit programming to what it is you really want to monitor and not to catch everything.

Ubbe

One thing I did notice although its hard to document is that if the scanned channels both analog and digital had only one or two service types the scan seemed to be faster...
I believe that's been mentioned as a bug, that it actually doesn't detect ongoing traffic properly and skips it when you sometimes mix analog with digital. You have to restart the scanner to regain normal scanning again, until that bug will hit you again.

/Ubbe

wtp

ret bat,
that is the hold time and not delay time correct?
they are not the same thing at all.

Last edited:

Ret_Batt_Chief

Premium Subscriber
Once upon a time ago, I read something, but after searching cannot re-locate it, that the scan rate was 80 channels per second.'

Analog scanning is handled different than trunked scanning. As such, you cannot compare the two with respect to speed.

A scanner will Hold on a site for a pre-determined time and evaluate the control channel data. It looks to see what talkgroups have received channel grants and then compares those talkgroups with your scanlist. If there is a match, then the scanner goes to the assigned voice frequency and monitors the traffic. You can have 1 or 1000 talkgroups "active" in your scanner and the speed is the same.
Thank you

wtp

ok...
digital wait time is one thing
delay time is something else
and hold is another thing.
digital wait at 400ms is good
delay at 2 is good and
hold at 0 is great.

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
Like with all scanners. The less complex the scan list conditions the faster it will process the information. I have found that having one trunked and several conventional in a single list works great.
Same SDS as OP, and how I do it too. Granted I'm new, but this one FL works well for me. Don't want to hear something, pop the avoid button. I have my stuff set like @wtp mentioned above, which is the default IIRC. Squelch at 2.

Reactions: wtp

BenA2013

Feed Provider
Same SDS as OP, and how I do it too. Granted I'm new, but this one FL works well for me. Don't want to hear something, pop the avoid button. I have my stuff set like @wtp mentioned above, which is the default IIRC. Squelch at 2.
I would try turning your squelch up some. The lower it is, the slower it will scan. I keep mine around 8.