SDS200 screen/display question

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast
I'm wondering if it's OK to leave an SDS200 on, with the display on for extended periods of time?
Or might some of the text that doesn't change very often burn in? or, the whole display burn out, or get dim over time?
I prefer to run the display on anytime the scanner is on, but don't want to wear it out.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I'm wondering if it's OK to leave an SDS200 on, with the display on for extended periods of time?
Or might some of the text that doesn't change very often burn in? or, the whole display burn out, or get dim over time?
I prefer to run the display on anytime the scanner is on, but don't want to wear it out.
If it worries you turn it off when you are not around the scanner.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: RRR

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
The way I see it you have a 1 year warranty, I have had mine on since the release day and have seen no problems.

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast
The way I see it you have a 1 year warranty, I have had mine on since the release day and have seen no problems.
Great! Good to hear. I've had my SDS100 for almost a year with no problems, but I don't leave that one on. The SDS200 I will.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
screen burn I think is really a thing of the past, we don't even use screensavers on our computers any more if you think about it

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast
screen burn I think is really a thing of the past, we don't even use screensavers on our computers any more if you think about it
That's kind of what I was thinking too. But recently, it has reared it's ugly head again in some OLED TV's, and the Uniden R3 Radar Detectors. They had a firmware upgrade to slightly dim the brightest setting. That's what kind of got me wondering, aren't these new screens OLED? Again, not really worried, just for discussion sake.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
...aren't these new screens OLED?

Not OLED....that's a high-end thing really, for high resolution screens. It would have been a grotesque waste of money to use one on a small low resolution scanner screen. I believe I've heard numbers thrown around along the lines of 10,000 hours of burn time. I'm not going to worry about it a bit, and leave mine on low 24-7 (My SDS200 is a server mule mostly).

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast
Not OLED....that's a high-end thing really, for high resolution screens. It would have been a grotesque waste of money to use one on a small low resolution scanner screen. I believe I've heard numbers thrown around along the lines of 10,000 hours of burn time. I'm not going to worry about it a bit, and leave mine on low 24-7 (My SDS200 is a server mule mostly).
Good to know. I know Uniden is using OLED with their latest radar detectors, and, my Olympus camera has an OLED viewfinder, also my iphone Xs. It seems they are using it more and more.

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Same here - what's interesting is that Sony pays LG to put their OLED screens in their TVs because they hold the patent.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
OLED displays are great and very logical, but they cost more and wouldn't be a wise use of money on something where everyone is always clamoring for various features that they expect for $700. Uniden had a tough job in balancing costs here and overall did pretty well. It's like bluetooth, would it have been great? Yeah. But choices had to be made to stay at the price point they chose.

Power consumption is a non-issue with the SDS100 once you buy the extra battery and charger. As a matter of fact, I would prefer two of the smaller batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.