SDS200 Screen Flicker resolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
My 89 day old SDS200, shipped to me with extra buzz and a serial number 500 below what other received months prior, has developed screen flicker. I have programmed my boot screen with an epilepsy seizure warning just to be safe. :-|

Most of the threads about flicker are locked. Has this been addressed by Uniden, a recall, or found to be the "ribbon cable"? If it is confirmed to be simply a reseating of the ribbon cable, I might tear the unit down and try to do that before sending it back to Uniden.

Paul

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
My guess is it could be related to the poor ground connection that the display apparently already has. This is not the first time I've heard of a SDS200 having this problem.

Joe_Blough

Here is a You Tube Video showing the screen flicker.

Anderegg, where did you buy yours that had such an old serial number 500 below those purchased earlier?

By the way, an end user here on the forums has a guaranteed fix for the hum after he installed the Uniden metal piece and the hum returned a week later. He soldered the metal Uniden piece to the display chassie to make good contact.

That's twice an end user had to fix the design defects that Uniden can't or won't fix. What a disgrace to Uniden.

Last edited:

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Yikes, mine is no where near that bad, but it is horizontal flicker, its affecting the edges of the text and makes the text and digits appear to shake back and forth.

I just received a batch of 12 new SDS200's at work. I need to dissasemble them and check for preinstalled "fix"parts. Either way, I will have my engineering department solder them or even a jumper wire for proper permanent ground...they solder wires instead of butt splicing, so this should be a non issue for them. Thank you for the tip.

My SDS200 shipped from Zip Scanners in mid April with an 08xx serial number...I assume they don't move as much product as the bigger guys.

Paul

Here is a You Tube Video showing the screen flicker.

Anderegg, where did you buy yours that had such an old serial number 500 below those purchased earlier?

By the way, an end user here on the forums has a guaranteed fix for the hum after he installed the Uniden metal piece and the hum returned a week later. He soldered the metal Uniden piece to the display chassie to make good contact.

That's twice an end user had to fix the design defects that Uniden can't or won't fix. What a disgrace to Uniden.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
My flicker is non existant when I power the unit up from a cold state, but as it warms up, after a few minutes, the flickering returns and gradually gets worse. I guess I will eventually have to send it back to Uniden when it gets worse, since it has a year warranty. :(

Paul

cognetic

Premium Subscriber
I've had 2 units with this same problem and am aware of others with the same. Add that to the hum and issues with certain simulcast systems on the same devices. The one in my office runs 24hrs, some days are worse than others.
Overall, my experience with the SDS200 series has not been very good and has put a hold on buying anymore to replace the multiple rack-mounted 536s. Eventually, I'll get around to sending these both in for repairs. I'm hoping for a new device to come out and will avoid anymore sds200 purchases.

Status
Not open for further replies.