SDS200 Screen....Here we go again.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

trp2525

...It's just a sad fact of life that you have to pay an extra 70 or 80 bucks to protect yourself from Uniden's inadequate warranty.
As a suggestion I would recommend purchasing your scanners (or anything else that has a manufacturer's warranty) with a credit card that automatically doubles the manufacturer's warranty for FREE if you make your purchase with that credit card. Typically the warranty extension is for up to an extra year but YMMV depending on the specific credit card and the card issuer. It's an often overlooked credit card benefit/perk that some people have available to them and don't even know it.

If you don't currently have a credit card that will double a manufacturer's warranty, you might want to shop around for one now before you make your next scanner purchase (or any other major purchase). I currently have a Capital One World Elite Mastercard that has such a benefit and I make sure that I use it whenever I would like to double the manufacturer's warranty for FREE.

Ubbe

It's just a sad fact of life that you have to pay an extra 70 or 80 bucks to protect yourself from Uniden's inadequate warranty.
That seems like a bad idea as Uniden charge you $90 to fix any scanner problem. And if a problem appear after a 3 year extended warranty, that you paid $80 for, you will still have no warranty and have to pay Unidens $90 flat rate repair cost.
It would be better to not pay for any extra warranty and most user will have no issues with their scanner and the few that have will have to pay only $90 to Uniden anyhow.

/Ubbe

MStep

That seems like a bad idea as Uniden charge you $90 to fix any scanner problem. And if a problem appear after a 3 year extended warranty, that you paid $80 for, you will still have no warranty and have to pay Unidens $90 flat rate repair cost.
It would be better to not pay for any extra warranty and most user will have no issues with their scanner and the few that have will have to pay only $90 to Uniden anyhow.

/Ubbe

Like everything else in life, it's a roll of the dice.

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Is there any statistical data on what percentage of unites have been reported to have this issue?

radio3353

Is there any statistical data on what percentage of unites have been reported to have this issue?

For me it was 100%. (My SDS200 developed a screen problem two weeks in so I returned it to Amazon for a full refund and washed my hands of the SDS series.)

Engine104

Member since 2005
What are your feelings about nearly the same thing happening on a $5000 radio? (because it does)
Are you saying that this is acceptable?

I think your point is better illustrated in your second response where you indicated the incidence of the SDS 200 display problem is low compared to the number of units that have been sold. I assume the same can also be said of the SDS100 cold solder joint problem?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
This sucks guys. Just bout one a couple weeks ago and loving it. Your telling me the god dam screen fails after a year? Any way to purchase a new screen now so when mine takes a crap I can replace it myself?
Only for the unlucky. I own two, and they work perfectly.

diskmonger

I've had my SDS-200 for about a year and just started having the screen distortion issue on the very bottom of the screen.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Are you saying that this is acceptable?

I think your point is better illustrated in your second response where you indicated the incidence of the SDS 200 display problem is low compared to the number of units that have been sold. I assume the same can also be said of the SDS100 cold solder joint problem?

My point is that if it occurs on a $5000 radio, the criticism that it happens on a $700 radio is not surprising. No, ideally it would not happen on any radios, but it does happen no matter how much the unit costs, so the cost is not a factor. The displays are not the majority cost of the units (any of them).

The solder joint issue is a much higher percentage based on what I've seen/read. And yes, I agree that one should not have been allowed to happen, as that is an assembly issue and not an issue with a third party product.

MStep

If Uniden detects that one has opened a radio to make a visual inspection, does that void the warranty? Page 55 of the SDS200 manual states that "the warranty is invalid if..... serviced or repaired by someone other than an authorized Uniden service center for a defect or malfunction covered by the warranty".

So when folks suggest that it might be an issue with a ribbon cable, I would take that as merely a diagnostic evaluation as Joe stated above, rather than an invitation to open your radio and attempt a self repair, as tempting as that may seem.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
If Uniden detects that one has opened a radio to make a visual inspection, does that void the warranty? Page 55 of the SDS200 manual states that "the warranty is invalid if..... serviced or repaired by someone other than an authorized Uniden service center for a defect or malfunction covered by the warranty".

So when folks suggest that it might be an issue with a ribbon cable, I would take that as merely a diagnostic evaluation as Joe stated above, rather than an invitation to open your radio and attempt a self repair, as tempting as that may seem.

I think a new "Right To Repair" law was passed recently. @JoeBearcat what say you?

What You Should Know About Right to Repair

@iMONITOR have you ever heard of this: Magnuson Moss Warranty-Federal Trade Commission Improvements Act?
Or have you ever read this: 15 USC Ch. 50: CONSUMER PRODUCT WARRANTIES ?
Has been law for a long time now, it just hasn't been enforced, and these "advocacy groups" are fighting large corporations from running us over with their bullsh*t with trying to train you that what you buy isn't yours to do with what you want... Just as your government is doing with your lives...
I guess not very many people pay attention to anything but their "entitlements" or keep any kind of moral values anymore...
F'in sad that we even have to deal with this sh*t, to say the very least...

I really don't know why I keep coming back to this site, it makes me sick to my stomach to read the BS that goes on here... I gotta change too I guess...
Later!

Status
Not open for further replies.