SDS200 Screen....Here we go again.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
As a suggestion I would recommend purchasing your scanners (or anything else that has a manufacturer's warranty) with a credit card that automatically doubles the manufacturer's warranty for FREE if you make your purchase with that credit card. Typically the warranty extension is for up to an extra year but YMMV depending on the specific credit card and the card issuer. It's an often overlooked credit card benefit/perk that some people have available to them and don't even know it.

If you don't currently have a credit card that will double a manufacturer's warranty, you might want to shop around for one now before you make your next scanner purchase (or any other major purchase). I currently have a Capital One World Elite Mastercard that has such a benefit and I make sure that I use it whenever I would like to double the manufacturer's warranty for FREE.
Is your post an advertisement? Sure sounds like SPAM to me.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
Knock on wood I have one of the early sds200 and no problems so far. Seems like the sds200 and sds100 scanners were not thought thru. Seems to be alot of problems and should not not be on paying 700.00 for a scanner. I don't think I will be buying anymore.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Obviously your choice, but the fact remains that the SDS is a "hobby" class piece of equipment. Both SDS scanners are not commercial or military class. I can positively tell you the original public safety trunked systems had all kinds of problems and still do have some problems to this day. I presume you have heard dispatchers or cars asked for someone to repeat their last transmission because they "went digital". That's with fully commercial, designed for a specific system, 2 way radio setup (not a scanner).

By the way, those radios cost $2,500 and up.

The $700 cost of a hobby radio may seem high, but then you have a choice to buy it or not. No one forced you to buy it.

Are there some issues? Yes, and was there a pandemic that essentially shut the United States down for a year? Yes, was that Uniden's fault? No.

Also, think about this, who else makes a comparable scanner? What do they cost? I think you will find that no one else does.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
By the way, those radios cost $2,500 and up.

The $700 cost of a hobby radio may seem high, but then you have a choice to buy it or not. No one forced you to buy it.

Also, think about this, who else makes a comparable scanner? What do they cost? I think you will find that no one else does.

Well for 2,500 I better be able to talk on it. Must been out of my mine to pay 700.00 and can't even talk on it.lol

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
I will preface this by stating that I am not the service manager. However after talking to him I believe that any attempted repairs that make the unit irreparable, or make the repair more extensive would void the warranty. Simply looking at the unit would not. Trying to re-seat the ribbon cable should not unless you damage it in the process. If you re-seat it and glue it in, and the glue damages the cable or connector, expect it to not be covered. It's really a case-by-case basis.

How this came up before was a question about Jon's GPS mod. What I was told that was IF the repair was caused by something stemming from the GPS addition, it would not be covered. If the GPS was merely present, and was not related to the repair issue, the warranty would be honored. However, in either case the modified or added components may or may not remain connected on return to the customer. There was some (unanswered) question about FCC TA on modified units. Neither of us are attorneys.

The Right to Repair should result in an interesting confrontation between the FCC and that group when they try to demand that schematics be released. Grab the popcorn.

And you should read Motorola's documents some time. You don't even really own all of the radio you purchased and you only have the right to use the firmware as long as they say you do. But then, they have deep pockets protecting their IP.

N8LHG

I will preface this by stating that I am not the service manager. However after talking to him I believe that any attempted repairs that make the unit irreparable, or make the repair more extensive would void the warranty. Simply looking at the unit would not. Trying to re-seat the ribbon cable should not unless you damage it in the process. If you re-seat it and glue it in, and the glue damages the cable or connector, expect it to not be covered. It's really a case-by-case basis.

How this came up before was a question about Jon's GPS mod. What I was told that was IF the repair was caused by something stemming from the GPS addition, it would not be covered. If the GPS was merely present, and was not related to the repair issue, the warranty would be honored. However, in either case the modified or added components may or may not remain connected on return to the customer. There was some (unanswered) question about FCC TA on modified units. Neither of us are attorneys.

The Right to Repair should result in an interesting confrontation between the FCC and that group when they try to demand that schematics be released. Grab the popcorn.

And you should read Motorola's documents some time. You don't even really own all of the radio you purchased and you only have the right to use the firmware as long as they say you do. But then, they have deep pockets protecting their IP.

I'm going to toss in my 2 cents here. I'm not a lawyer, nor have I ever played one on TV. But... And kinda' a big but... As a licensed ham, I've never cared much about FCC acceptance. I have a lot of equipment that is home made, or modified. If I purchase radio equipment and run across a modification that improves on the equipment I use in my hobby, I may in fact, make the improvements, including firmware changes if applical. I'm simply responsible for keeping the equipment from being massivly rf noisy or improperly tuned causing interference. Corse' I understand the mfg warranty may be invalidated, but does that change the legality of the rigs use, or manufacturers claim to ownership? (re: gps mod for example)?

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
I'm going to toss in my 2 cents here. I'm not a lawyer, nor have I ever played one on TV. But... And kinda' a big but... As a licensed ham, I've never cared much about FCC acceptance. I have a lot of equipment that is home made, or modified. If I purchase radio equipment and run across a modification that improves on the equipment I use in my hobby, I may in fact, make the improvements, including firmware changes if applical. I'm simply responsible for keeping the equipment from being massivly rf noisy or improperly tuned causing interference. Corse' I understand the mfg warranty may be invalidated, but does that change the legality of the rigs use, or manufacturers claim to ownership? (re: gps mod for example)?

When you change the design, you void the FCC Type Acceptance.

Now is the FCC going to hunt you down? Very unlikely. That does not change the fact that you are using a unit that is no longer approved.

Yes, hams can build their own. But that does not apply to equipment used outside the ham bands.

Believe me - I wish we could just change the design and sell units using an older TA, but that is not legal. It sure would save a lot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.