SDS200 Screen....Here we go again.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmurphy

Premium Subscriber
Purchased a SDS200 June of last year and the dreaded vertical lines scrolling across the screen started. It was terrible... I sent unit to Uniden in November for warranty repair and it came back working great. Just tonight I noticed the vertical lines again scrolling horizontal across the LCD. The 90 day warranty on the warranty work has expired, but being a known problem with this scanner, I wonder if Uniden will cover it?
Has anyone else had a problem with this occurring after replacement?
Thanks
Frank

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I just bought a second SDS200, and you guys are making me nervous. My first one has been great, only minor intermod issues and the original SD card failed in about a week after I got it. I didn't bother Uniden about the card. That was well over a year ago, and I was listening to it last night before I went to bed and it was doing great, I just need to prune down the sites to make it stop missing so much.

station09

Feed Provider
The SDS 200 I have just over year old started to have the Flicking screen . You would think they would fixed this for no cost.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Talked to Uniden yesterday..... $89.95 to fix screen... won't cover second replacement...

In my mind you had a one year original warranty on the original which ended this June plus a 90-day warranty on the replacement which would amount to a total 15 month warranty which would take you to through September. If only the world was fair. :(

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
And Uniden says there is no “issue” with the flickering display... from the reports here it seems there is. Sorry to hear about Uniden not giving you the consideration on warrenty work. That’s NOT how I would expect them to react. My SDS200 is also “flickering”. And since it’s the first time around for me with the radio being way out of warrenty I expected I’d need to pay for the repair... just procrastinating about shipping it back.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I realize your post relates to displays but the display on the HP’s are touch sensitive, meaning they are not like the SDS200 display, which is what this thread addresses. That being said, suggest you first try a factory reset AFTER you back up your programming so you can reload it afterwards. Does the problem still present itself BEFORE you reload your programming? If yes then it needs to go in for repair. If no, reload your programming and see if the problem persists. That way you can determine if it’s a bad display or something in your programming that’s become corrupted. I have forgotten if there is an SD Card in the mix with the HP’s but if so, try another “known good” SD Card also.

I’ve always wondered if someone has offerred a general listing of steps users (without a test bench) can take to troubleshoot their radios initially. If so, I haven’t seen it. If there is, I’d appreciate seeing it.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There is a ribbon cable connecting the HomePatrol display to the motherboard. Try unplugging and reseating it to solve the white line issue. One of the connector contacts isn't connecting to the cable properly.

BILL2021

Premium Subscriber
i have an SDS200 with a screen issue. After listening for 2-3 hours and power the unit off, my screen will not start if i turn the unit back on. It is a white blank box. I have to wait 5-6 hours for the unit to come back to normal.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
This sucks guys. Just bout one a couple weeks ago and loving it. Your telling me the god dam screen fails after a year? Any way to purchase a new screen now so when mine takes a crap I can replace it myself?

stillracin

Premium Subscriber
Purchased a SDS200 June of last year and the dreaded vertical lines scrolling across the screen started. It was terrible... I sent unit to Uniden in November for warranty repair and it came back working great. Just tonight I noticed the vertical lines again scrolling horizontal across the LCD. The 90 day warranty on the warranty work has expired, but being a known problem with this scanner, I wonder if Uniden will cover it?
Has anyone else had a problem with this occurring after replacement?
Thanks
Frank
Mine has been steadily getting worse. I put it on the network and downloaded proscan for the time being.

MStep

Mine has been steadily getting worse. I put it on the network and downloaded proscan for the time being.

To you and the OP and all others with defective screens--- isn't it horrible that every time you either turn on or walk over to your radio, you go into "panic mode" hoping that it is going to perform correctly? Hoping that you will see a normal screen and not some flickering mess? Or no display at all? Uniden refuses to do the right thing and extend the SDS warranties to 3 years. So for anyone making a purchase from a reputable dealer, it is really necessary to purchase the extended warranty, from a reputable extended warranty service.

It's just a sad fact of life that you have to pay an extra 70 or 80 bucks to protect yourself from Uniden's inadequate warranty.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
One of the two I have developed this problem and had every intention of returning it for repair. (It started while installed in my pickup and I thought it may be caused by the constant changes in temp. But it continued after swapping it with the other one I had in the house.) I procrastinated on sending it in for repair one month, two, three and then one day I noticed it had started to get better, gradually over time. I hesitated writing this out of fear I would jinx it. But to date, it’s returned to normal. I’m not saying this will happen to others but it’s strange it should gradually go bad and then gradually get better all by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.