• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

SDS200 serial number has the fix?

StaticDischarge

Premium Subscriber
Me and my buds skipped that day too! Just to go and tear up some mud with with the 4X4's... And we did a great job of it!! Do I regret it? NAH!!! It was all "forethought".. I knew one day I would have cold rainy weather when I could try to learn me some cryptology..

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
With all due respect, with all the talent on here, I'd just make myself look an idiot if I even tried to comment on it, all I can comment on has been the purchase/transaction at this point. :)
you can always comment on your overall impressions without getting too much into the technical side of things. a review from a newbie is as valuable as that from an expert.

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
With all due respect, with all the talent on here, I'd just make myself look an idiot if I even tried to comment on it, all I can comment on has been the purchase/transaction at this point. :)
I disagree with you, your just the person I would like it hear your first impressions from. I hope you enjoy your new scanner, if you have any questions just ask!

jjbond

Premium Subscriber
ok.... it's here.... right on time, Jeff and Ham Station came through... after dinner I'll fire it up and see if it has hum, then I'll crack'er open and see if it has the fix. Great feeling unit.... better build quality than I've felt in a consumer scanner forever, maybe my Regency MX5000 and MX7000 being closest (rebadged AOR's), nice butttons, nice face plate, almos feels like Motorola made it, nice and solid.

eaf1956

Premium Subscriber
ok.... it's here.... right on time, Jeff and Ham Station came through... after dinner I'll fire it up and see if it has hum, then I'll crack'er open and see if it has the fix. Great feeling unit.... better build quality than I've felt in a consumer scanner forever, maybe my Regency MX5000 and MX7000 being closest (rebadged AOR's), nice butttons, nice face plate, almos feels like Motorola made it, nice and solid.
If you try it and there is no noticable hum I wouldn't check to see if the part was installed. Taking it apart may cause the part to move (doubtful) but possible. But, it's your scanner enjoy it. At least try it out first to see how it receives.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

torishu

Premium Subscriber
If you try it and there is no noticable hum I wouldn't check to see if the part was installed. Taking it apart may cause the part to move (doubtful) but possible. But, it's your scanner enjoy it. At least try it out first to see how it receives.
I agree with this. With having "serviced" six SDS200s now, if there's no noticeable "hum," you could potentially disrupt the good contact the mitigation piece is getting with all the parts and be disappointed when you put it all back together, IMO.

jjbond

Premium Subscriber
Wow..... I'm over the moon happy.... not even the slightest hum. It was still on older firmware 1.06.25 main and 1.01.10 sub versions so it's safe to say that the metal part has not been added and I'm not cracking it open to find out.... I was almost afraid to update to new firmware for fear it would start humming..... but nope, not even a whisper, running AWESOME, heading to bed but wanted to say thank you to everyone as I said I'd come back on with an update.

Jen

StaticDischarge

Premium Subscriber
Wow..... I'm over the moon happy.... not even the slightest hum. It was still on older firmware 1.06.25 main and 1.01.10 sub versions so it's safe to say that the metal part has not been added and I'm not cracking it open to find out.... I was almost afraid to update to new firmware for fear it would start humming..... but nope, not even a whisper, running AWESOME, heading to bed but wanted to say thank you to everyone as I said I'd come back on with an update.

Jen
That is very good news! Was really hoping to see a response like this from you! Enjoy!!

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber

Jen
Jen, mine came from Jeff with the same firmware as yours. I peaked inside and it did have the fix. Your's probably does too. I took delivery April 16th.

my serial # is 38426088000591 and it came with the copper plate inserted from the factory and I still hear the hum when the amp turns on.

This is my second radio that was shipped out.
Apply some double sided tape to the top of the copper plate to create more pressure (grounding) on the plate. Don't take cover off of double sided tape that will be touching the upper cover. It may take a few pieces. Reinstall the metal cover by sliding over the tape and under the front cover lip.
Use the 3M thicker padded double sided tape.

eaf1956

Premium Subscriber

Jen
Awesome, I'm glad it all worked out for you!

eaf1956

Premium Subscriber

Jen
Also, the new firmware will make it even better!