SDS200 serial number has the fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me and my buds skipped that day too! Just to go and tear up some mud with with the 4X4's... And we did a great job of it!! Do I regret it? NAH!!! It was all "forethought".. I knew one day I would have cold rainy weather when I could try to learn me some cryptology..

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
With all due respect, with all the talent on here, I'd just make myself look an idiot if I even tried to comment on it, all I can comment on has been the purchase/transaction at this point. :)
you can always comment on your overall impressions without getting too much into the technical side of things. a review from a newbie is as valuable as that from an expert.

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
With all due respect, with all the talent on here, I'd just make myself look an idiot if I even tried to comment on it, all I can comment on has been the purchase/transaction at this point. :)
I disagree with you, your just the person I would like it hear your first impressions from. I hope you enjoy your new scanner, if you have any questions just ask!

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I for one would like to hear her impression of the scanner once she has time to get familiar with it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jjbond

Banned
Banned
ok.... it's here.... right on time, Jeff and Ham Station came through... after dinner I'll fire it up and see if it has hum, then I'll crack'er open and see if it has the fix. Great feeling unit.... better build quality than I've felt in a consumer scanner forever, maybe my Regency MX5000 and MX7000 being closest (rebadged AOR's), nice butttons, nice face plate, almos feels like Motorola made it, nice and solid.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
ok.... it's here.... right on time, Jeff and Ham Station came through... after dinner I'll fire it up and see if it has hum, then I'll crack'er open and see if it has the fix. Great feeling unit.... better build quality than I've felt in a consumer scanner forever, maybe my Regency MX5000 and MX7000 being closest (rebadged AOR's), nice butttons, nice face plate, almos feels like Motorola made it, nice and solid.
If you try it and there is no noticable hum I wouldn't check to see if the part was installed. Taking it apart may cause the part to move (doubtful) but possible. But, it's your scanner enjoy it. At least try it out first to see how it receives.

torishu

If you try it and there is no noticable hum I wouldn't check to see if the part was installed. Taking it apart may cause the part to move (doubtful) but possible. But, it's your scanner enjoy it. At least try it out first to see how it receives.

I agree with this. With having "serviced" six SDS200s now, if there's no noticeable "hum," you could potentially disrupt the good contact the mitigation piece is getting with all the parts and be disappointed when you put it all back together, IMO.

jjbond

Banned
Banned
Wow..... I'm over the moon happy.... not even the slightest hum. It was still on older firmware 1.06.25 main and 1.01.10 sub versions so it's safe to say that the metal part has not been added and I'm not cracking it open to find out.... I was almost afraid to update to new firmware for fear it would start humming..... but nope, not even a whisper, running AWESOME, heading to bed but wanted to say thank you to everyone as I said I'd come back on with an update.

Jen

Wow..... I'm over the moon happy.... not even the slightest hum. It was still on older firmware 1.06.25 main and 1.01.10 sub versions so it's safe to say that the metal part has not been added and I'm not cracking it open to find out.... I was almost afraid to update to new firmware for fear it would start humming..... but nope, not even a whisper, running AWESOME, heading to bed but wanted to say thank you to everyone as I said I'd come back on with an update.

Jen

That is very good news! Was really hoping to see a response like this from you! Enjoy!!

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast

Jen
Jen, mine came from Jeff with the same firmware as yours. I peaked inside and it did have the fix. Your's probably does too. I took delivery April 16th.

frazpo

my serial # is 38426088000591 and it came with the copper plate inserted from the factory and I still hear the hum when the amp turns on.

This is my second radio that was shipped out.

Apply some double sided tape to the top of the copper plate to create more pressure (grounding) on the plate. Don't take cover off of double sided tape that will be touching the upper cover. It may take a few pieces. Reinstall the metal cover by sliding over the tape and under the front cover lip.
Use the 3M thicker padded double sided tape.

eaf1956

Feed Provider

Jen
Awesome, I'm glad it all worked out for you!

eaf1956

Feed Provider

Jen
Also, the new firmware will make it even better!

jjbond

Banned
Banned
Well, just confirming, sorry to bring up the old thread.... but my unit that arrived quiet is getting even worse... see the below comment and video I posted for another member about if he could use Proscan on a tablet.. how's that buzz for ya!!!

--------------
So forgive the dizzy inducing movement of the camera and the nosedive you take when I had to put the camera down to detach it from the dock, I was using my iPhone one handed.... Here's a quick clip of what Proscan looks like running on a Win 10 tablet via a Vonet wi-fi bridge on the scanner. The audio on the tablet is crystal clear, in fact the scanner audio is turned all the way down but you can still here masive buzz in the background, ON TOP of the dispatch audio. Like I always said, the firmware update only shuts off the audio between transmissions, it does nothing to the audio on calls, you still have the buzz once transmission starts. I then turn down the tablet volume and hold the camera near the EXTERNAL speaker (I'm so tired of people saying the buzz is only on the internal speaker).

Note, this is a large file, start it up then hit pause so it can start coming down or you'll have no audio.

http://jenniferbond.com/images/proscan-tablet-buzz.mov

People continue posting reviews saying the buzz issue was fixed with the metal chunk hack and firmware, I disagree.

Jen
------------

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Upman himself states the hum is never eliminated, only "mitigated". If you mitigate your ant or mosquito problem, it doesn't mean you made them extinct, just less of an annoyance.

Even though my hum fix part worked well, the buzz has started to annoy me again. I couldn't deal with sitting next to one of these in a quite room for hours...but on the plus side if you need nat sound for a movie where the scene is of an old gas station with florescent lights, this SDS200 will provide you the best proxy! :-D

Paul

Well, just confirming, sorry to bring up the old thread.... but my unit that arrived quiet is getting even worse... see the below comment and video I posted for another member about if he could use Proscan on a tablet.. how's that buzz for ya!!!

--------------
So forgive the dizzy inducing movement of the camera and the nosedive you take when I had to put the camera down to detach it from the dock, I was using my iPhone one handed.... Here's a quick clip of what Proscan looks like running on a Win 10 tablet via a Vonet wi-fi bridge on the scanner. The audio on the tablet is crystal clear, in fact the scanner audio is turned all the way down but you can still here masive buzz in the background, ON TOP of the dispatch audio. Like I always said, the firmware update only shuts off the audio between transmissions, it does nothing to the audio on calls, you still have the buzz once transmission starts. I then turn down the tablet volume and hold the camera near the EXTERNAL speaker (I'm so tired of people saying the buzz is only on the internal speaker).

Note, this is a large file, start it up then hit pause so it can start coming down or you'll have no audio.

People continue posting reviews saying the buzz issue was fixed with the metal chunk hack and firmware, I disagree.

Jen
------------

jjbond

Banned
Banned
Despite not wanting to, I cracked it open tonight to confirm the part was there, it was... so I wrapped it in foil to give a bit more pressure where everything makes contact, put it back together and that helped quite a bit. I still have a bit of noise from the Vonet Wi-Fi bridge but only because it's so close, I can move it further away, for now the foil helped quite a bit, and worth trying if you have the buzz... till it compresses and I have to redo it.

Note: Yes, you nailed it... florescent lights

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber

--------------

Jen
------------
Thank you for continuing to post on the hum issue. The mods closing the hum thread didn't make it stop.

I've had an SDS 100 and have it working as well as it can right now. I would love to have an SDS 200 but will not take the money from my pocket until I'm assured that this issue is not a factor anymore.

I'd like to keep track of those who say there is no problem, and I mean new people not just a few that repeatedly say it, I'd like to hear it from new customers who then, if the hum does occur, like it did for you, willl report it. I listen in a dead quiet room with the radios right next to my bed, I've been doing that for 50 plus years since I was a kid and usually fall asleep with the radios on low volume. I want an SDS 200 with no more of a hum than my sds100 has and that's none at all. I don't want it mitigated, reduced or varying. No excuses, no explanations, no rationalizations and no telling me that's just the way it is and if you don't like it don't buy the radio so... the way it is I'm not buying the radio.

I know for some it's acceptable, they barely notice it, it's really not that loud, you get used to it, you like to listen in a real noisy room, that's great.

Thanks again for keeping this threat alive. If they close this thread then please let's start another.

jjbond

Banned
Banned
I'd like to keep track of those who say there is no problem, and I mean new people not just a few that repeatedly say it, I'd like to hear it from new customers who then, if the hum does occur, like it did for you, willl report it.

I'm the same way, I listen in a quiet room, not that it needs to be quiet to hear mine. Mine arrived dead quiet and I was very happy, and then started humming after about 2 weeks. I just can't believe that with all the people talking about it, some are still saying it's been fixed, not saying it's been reduced but fixed, there's a difference. Another video posted today, at the 2:00 mark, "these malfunctions have been tweaked and problems solved", this is blatantly false and this is coming from a retailer which makes it borderline unethical but then he says a lot of things in the review that are incorrect. He says it's a base, it is not, it is a base/mobile, he says it has to be plugged in the wall, it does not, it comes with both an AC adapter and DC power cord.

The buzz wasn’t just in the internal speaker as stated, it’s also in the external as the file I uploaded here previously and tonight shows.

But still, it's a very cool radio, wish it was faster but it does what it does, it's a simulcast reduction trunk scanner, if you buy it knowing that, you'll be happy... as long as you replace the SD card and don't mind the hum.

I would buy it again... even with the hum.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yep I appreciate what you say Jen and my sds100 after being fine-tuned as best can be performs on my Local 700 megahertz P2 simulcast system as well as my apx 7000. It doesn't have the great volume of the mot I need in the field but it does keep up and has great modulation.

When this was first an issue I was first to say they will take care of it, they need to nip it in the bud, it's going to cost them a lot of money to recall those radios already sold and shipped to dealers and delay release but what choice did they have. I was wrong.

It appeared to a lot of us the problem was denied. For loyal fans it was blamed on psychological problems of the listener, Uniden haters, chronic complainers and how far from the radio could you hear the hum, 3 feet, 4 feet and then it just went from there as being acceptable. Maybe they felt they were up against whistler's new LSM capable radios and had no idea at that point that was a hoax.

Long story short the problem was acknowledged and the fix put in place. Nothing to see here, move on.

I really don't want to get into all of the Dynamics of this or we will start a s*** storm all over again. There's some really nice people on this forum. It all has to do with loyalty to a brand which outweighs reality. It's something I've never understood but certainly does exist and can't be denied.

Even though I don't need this Radio necessarily for P2 simulcast anymore because between the apx 7000 and the SDS 100 I'm pretty well covered but I would like that large display. On my sds100 I use white text on black and I pretty much cleared off all the useless information off the display except for just a few things.

Of course I would like to have turboscan on the SDS 100 also but my understanding is that's not going to happen because of the chips used.

I've got a great antenna Farm on the roof and between five or six radios the sds200 would be a great addition to my listening post.

As of this time I will not buy it but I sure hope someday I can, with confidence, buy one. Thanks for your reply... Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.