SDS200 settings for DTRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyomingmedic

Hello all,

Traveling down from Wyoming. Having mediocre decode on the state DTRS system.

Wyoming loves the wide invert filter setting.

What about the DTRS down here?

Thanks

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
That's totally location-dependent. The best filter setting depends on what adjacent frequencies happen to be used by other transmitters near you. So what's best can change completely just by moving a few miles.

wyomingmedic

What site(s) are you monitoring on Colorado DTRS? In the Fort Collins area, I monitor the Horsetooth site with Normal (default?) filter.
Most of the high level ones along I-25 and E470 (Bald north, Horsetooth, Thorndin, etc).

Wide invert seems to do okay most of the time, but not like on Wyolink, where you can set it on wide invert and not worry about it as you drive the state.

FRCC seems great with wide invert pretty much exclusively. As does the Aurora phase 2 system.

wyomingmedic

Using an SDS100, I'm using all the default settings.
Well, the default setting is "auto" I believe. That is just too slow to function. I had to get rid of that almost immediately to even have a chance of catching traffic

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Using an SDS100, I'm using all the default settings.
Same here, and I second what Jon said. The need for filters is location dependent, unfortunately the SDS can have major issues with adjacent frequencies depending on the time of day, phase of the moon etc. In my experience SDS intermod is more common with UHF, VHF and Airband, not so much with 700/800.

As I recall WyoLink uses a lot of VHF, so that might (or might not) cause you more issues. Regardless I think I will play with the filter settings this evening on my SDS and see if makes a difference for 700/800 monitoring. I haven't really played with the filter settings yet, if I have a problem I usually switch to my XTS and forget about it (because with the XTS you turn it on and it just works...)

wyomingmedic

Yes, Wyolink is almost exclusively VHF with the exception being a couple towns that tie in an 800mhz site or two.

Fortunately (or unfortunately actually), my wife had her flight delayed into Denver for more than nine hours yesterday. SO I had AMPLE time to sit and play with filters and I cruised around to and from the airport and to feed/placate my children.

Overall, the WORST filter options without exception were "normal" and "off". Sites that where -70 or -80db would be utterly unusable with these filter settings. No decode, no control channel, nada. This held true as I traveled between Fort Collins, DIA, Denver proper, Longmont, etc. And it wasn't just with the DTRS; this provided the worst decode for FRCC and Adams/Arapaho counties.

The best was "wide normal" by a pretty wide margin. This had the best decode as I drove around in the vicinity of all the above mentioned systems. Sites that were not acknowledged when in "normal" or "off" settings, were -55 to -80db and decoded perfectly. This seemed to hold true all over northern Colorado and with the various systems.

I can appreciate that filter settings will vary by location and conditions, but I think the best overall selection when in Colorado is the wide normal filter. It is better than auto (like trying to make the scanner run 100 yards while carrying suitcases full of bricks) for speed, and generally decoded things quite well.

Certainly curious to hear the thoughts of others.

Steve2003

Turning on IFX on all the control channels made a drastic improvement for me. I still miss a few convos but I want to try turning it on on all voice freqs for the sites I usually monitor To see if it makes a difference

Status
Not open for further replies.