sds200 signal bars come and go every couple seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeBeCinYa

Every uniden scanner I’ve owned does this, I thought it was just “checking” site. Completely normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mkt853

My SDS100 does the same thing and my 436 did too. I thought it was supposed to do it. Neither unit ever missed any traffic though.
You would have to miss some traffic at some point. During housekeeping the control channel could issue a channel grant, and by the time you're scanner returns to listening to the control channel, decodes it, tunes the voice channel, the conversation which could just be a quick one second reply (like someone replying "affirmative" or "negative") would already be over.

My suggestion for this problem would be to have the scanner think the hold time is the max when the user is holding on a trunked system/site. That would at least push the housekeeping to once every 4.5 minutes which equates to losing the control channel 13 times per hour for a grand total of about 8 seconds. Not having the control channel for 8 out of every 3600 seconds instead of 8 out of every 17 seconds would greatly reduce the odds of a missed transmission. There must be a downside to doing this which is why it hasn't been implemented this way already.

I would also change the default behavior of holding on a channel within a trunked system in two ways. First if you are holding on a system, I would have the scanner keep track of the last site on which talkgroups are seen in the control data (i.e. keep a simple lookup table for as long as you are held on that system) and maybe even age out some of the entries if you hold on the system for a long time. Then when trying to hold on a talkgroup, the scanner can look up and hold on the last known site automatically instead of constantly scanning all control channels until you force a site hold where you know the talkgroup is active. Also, if a talkgroup is active and you quickly press the channel hold button, the site should also hold with it. As talkgroups tend to cover specific geographic areas like towers/sites, I think this is a better default if you immediately hold on an active talkgroup (i.e. the odds are low that all sides of the conversation are suddenly going to affiliate to another site).

Last edited:

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
You would have to miss some traffic at some point. During housekeeping the control channel could issue a channel grant, and by the time you're scanner returns to listening to the control channel, decodes it, tunes the voice channel, the conversation which could just be a quick one second reply (like someone replying "affirmative" or "negative") would already be over.

My suggestion for this problem would be to have the scanner think the hold time is the max when the user is holding on a trunked system/site. That would at least push the housekeeping to once every 4.5 minutes which equates to losing the control channel 13 times per hour for a grand total of about 8 seconds. Not having the control channel for 8 out of every 3600 seconds instead of 8 out of every 17 seconds would greatly reduce the odds of a missed transmission. There must be a downside to doing this which is why it hasn't been implemented this way already.

I would also change the default behavior of holding on a channel within a trunked system in two ways. First if you are holding on a system, I would have the scanner keep track of the last site on which talkgroups are seen in the control data (i.e. keep a simple lookup table for as long as you are held on that system) and maybe even age out some of the entries if you hold on the system for a long time. Then when trying to hold on a talkgroup, the scanner can look up and hold on the last known site automatically instead of constantly scanning all control channels until you force a site hold where you know the talkgroup is active. Also, if a talkgroup is active and you quickly press the channel hold button, the site should also hold with it. As talkgroups tend to cover specific geographic areas like towers/sites, I think this is a better default if you immediately hold on an active talkgroup (i.e. the odds are low that all sides of the conversation are suddenly going to affiliate to another site).

Stop making sense. LOL, :) Those are good suggestions.

I'd just like for it to lock on and receive as well as it should and as well as I know it can with some firmware fixes.

It doesn't make sense to me that there are 5 bars present in the signal meter, hold time set to 250, Site NAC enabled, and with the squelch at 2, and even 0, it won't receive consistently.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Stop making sense. LOL, :) Those are good suggestions.

I'd just like for it to lock on and receive as well as it should and as well as I know it can with some firmware fixes.

It doesn't make sense to me that there are 5 bars present in the signal meter, hold time set to 250, Site NAC enabled, and with the squelch at 2, and even 0, it won't receive consistently.

I noticed in your video the VC was 853.0875, have you noticed if it's this same frequency every time that causes your issue?

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
What is the difference between NORMAL, AUTO, INVERTED, AND OFF ?

Mark
SDS100&200/536/436/WS1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

I asked Uniden about filters, and here's the response that I received.

"Where is documentation on filters? What exactly are they filtering? Inverted seems to make the Irving system work, when squelch is at zero. Not sure what it’s actually doing and if that setting should remain there wherever I use the scanner, or if it’s going to depend on the location.

> SDS200FirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

> Due to the proprietary nature of the code, specific details aren't available (and wouldn't help...you just have to determine which setting works best for a system at your location, and that can differ by both system and location)."

:(

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
I noticed in your video the VC was 853.0875, have you noticed if it's this same frequency every time that causes your issue?

No, can't say I've noticed what frequencies. I'll try and keep an eye on that, but my point remains, it's not decoding like it should.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
No, can't say I've noticed what frequencies. I'll try and keep an eye on that, but my point remains, it's not decoding like it should.

Understood. Maybe you could try IFX on that frequency to see if it helps (assuming it's just that frequency).

chill30240

Premium Subscriber

I do not doubt you for one second. Some times I do not adequately explain my myself like I used to. What I should have said is that I have not noticed any missed traffic. But there again I do not monitor like I used to. So its is entirely possible that something was missed and I just didn't catch it. Back in the early 70's when I got in I had CB going, Bearcat 3 and a TV in my shack and never missed a beat on any of them. That was many moons ago.

marksmith

Thanks for the reference to the firmware item. Seems it is the only place that indicates the options even exist.

I have tried them, with no impact. Based on what I read, that to me means turn it to normal as auto has potential to slow scanning, and since I scan multiple systems, it's not likely it would be positive for all systems anyway. Since the radio does amazing on 8-10 different concurrent digital and analog systems, some not receivable at all with 436/536, and some with greater reach than 436/536, I will forego this new item until I figure a reason for me to use it.

Mark
SDS100&200/536/436/WS1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

Ncfirewire

So if i only monitor 1 digital trunking system it would be better if i change my hold time to 255 seconds??

Ubbe

My suggestion for this problem would be to have the scanner.....
Most of the functionality are aimed at mobile use, when you drive and the coverage from one site comes and goes and the scanner needs to switch to another site to be able to get the reply in a conversation. The same goes for the GPS check that needs to be done, but not as often as now. Maybe once each 3 minutes as you even at highway speed doesn't move that far that the scanner needs to switch scanlists back and forth.
I wish there where a base mode where all anoying mobile related things where disabled like "house keeping".

/Ubbe

cognetic

Premium Subscriber
Something is up for sure with my SDS200, not sure exactly what yet - after a week of operation. Comparing with SDS100, several 536s, a G5, and a 436, the management of area simulcast is about on par with the HP1 and HP2. It’s especially noticeable when locked onto a particular TG “channel” - for me IMPD Metro North in Indy.

The SDS100, 536s, 436, and G5 are picking up fine. My SDS200 is missing greater than 50% - about the same as the HP1/2 in my location. Even when locked onto a specific TG with full scale signal. It sometimes will have the full bar indication and zero audio while the other devices are squawking away.

Haven’t had time to jump into any detailed tweaking yet and frankly didn’t anticipate needing to as these other devices haven’t needed the extra attention to perform.

-cognetic

Nasby

Most of the functionality are aimed at mobile use, when you drive and the coverage from one site comes and goes and the scanner needs to switch to another site to be able to get the reply in a conversation. The same goes for the GPS check that needs to be done, but not as often as now. Maybe once each 3 minutes as you even at highway speed doesn't move that far that the scanner needs to switch scanlists back and forth.
I wish there where a base mode where all anoying mobile related things where disabled like "house keeping".

/Ubbe

Yes. Great idea. Just like the new filter settings. Have a "Housekeeping / Location Checking" OFF option.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I have an observation, my sds200 with the Mansfield site programmed and all other systems avoided permanently from the fw regional system except the mansfield tx site shows scanning and signal bars but the signal bars disappear every second or so then come back again.
...snip...

One of my Favorites is Northeast Tarrant County part of the Ft. Worth Regional Radio System much like Mansfield. Instead of avoiding the systems not needed I delete them from the Favorites list after the creation. Maybe it will help and maybe not. Conceptually you would think avoiding would be like they were deleted, but without a walk-thru on the code deleting means one less thing to house-clean for sure.
Good Luck,
Mike

marksmith

The 996/396 models don't do this that I can see/hear...
Actually this is not true. They also do housekeeping, but there was less housekeeping to do back then. Try using either of them with GPS and you will find that it nearly kills the operating system trying to keep up. With no location control, and any of the new options, they are less effected. So if you don't use the higher options they seem to work without housekeeping because there is less to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.