SDS200 Silent

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
If I remember correctly it's either a MCX or MMCX connector, so it's very small.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Do you see anything on the scanner display? I had a friend with a BCD536HP which appeared to be totally dead. A new SD card brought it back to life.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
lots of good info here, if you can't figure it out ship it to me, i'll diagnose it. if i can fix it i'll make a youtube video and send it back. if it's toast, i'll give you $100, i need a parts sds200 donor ;)
Do you work on other brands? Also, do you repair 436HPs?

W5ATX

Premium Subscriber
It's either not receiving or not putting out audio, or both. maybe it was dropped or exposed to other elements, moisture, static discharge etc. Try this:

Turn the volume to 12 o'clock. stop it from scanning and manually enter any frequency, for example enter 162.400, now turn the squelch all the way down. do you hear static coming from the speaker? if not, plug in an external speaker to the back, still nothing? plug in headphones. if you hear audio thru the headphones and not the internal or external speaker then part of the audio circuit is bad, rare but happens. if nothing works, then tune to a known strong signal, whatever your local weather station is, you should see bars indicating signal strength. if you have audio but no signal, check to make sure the attenuator is not on, if the signal is strong enough this won't matter. if it has sound but not receiving then i'd start tracing from the antenna jack on the back to the IF board looking for a broken or shorted BNC, cold solder joint, pinched coax or connection that has come off of the board, etc. if it's deeper than that then you're looking at replacing PCB's and that's a job for uniden as they won't sell any spare parts over the counter, good luck. Disclaimer: tinker at your own risk, safety first, always disconnect and wait for caps to discharge completely, use ESD wristband, etc. i'm not responsible for injuries or damage, i.e. accidently tearing a ribbon cable under the hood, etc.

Do you work on other brands? Also, do you repair 436HPs?
send me a PM.

tvengr

Well Known Member
It's either not receiving or not putting out audio, or both.
Please ket us know what you are seeing on the display. Is the display blank? Does the display show scanning? Is the display stopping on frequencies or talkgroups? We can't help if you don't answer our questions.

firebal

Premium Subscriber
Ok did two tests. Ran just scanning Baltimore County (where the person who owns the radio mostly monitors) next to my G4. Nothing on the SDS. No issues with the G4. Then I tested NOAA weather radio again. Nothing on the SDS. Old Pro-170 had no issues.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 30

firebal

Premium Subscriber
And the coax connection inside looks ok but not quite sure what to look for.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 30

W5ATX

Premium Subscriber
And the coax connection inside looks ok but not quite sure what to look for.
with the unit unplugged and off for several minutes, press down on the gold connector and wiggle the coax side to side gently. try not to touch any of the circuit board components and try to ground yourself by touching a metal case of something nearby to discharge static electricity before you poke around in there. also inspect the BNC and make sure there are metal tab(s) that can pinch the center pin of the antenna. last resort, do you have an FRS radio or anything that transmits that you can enter the frequency in and key up to see if it will receive a strong nearby transmitter?

tvengr

Well Known Member
The center of the connector looks OK. If you are using the same cable to connect to the second antenna, change cables. Ask if the other person keyed up a transmitter in close proximity to the scanner. A blown RF amp could cause the same symptoms as no antenna.

firebal

Premium Subscriber
The center of the connector looks OK. If you are using the same cable to connect to the second antenna, change cables. Ask if the other person keyed up a transmitter in close proximity to the scanner. A blown RF amp could cause the same symptoms as no antenna.
They stated they have not.

KV4PM

Fairhope, AL USA & Nambour, Queensland Australia
I had a similar issue a while back but it seemed I was only losing trunked systems; the NOAA station across the bay came in fine. I would do "Clear User Data" from Sentinel and it would work again for a while. Just remember to back up your SD card before doing this. I ended up getting a higher-quality SD card and I have not had the issue since.