SDS100/SDS200: SDS200 static at end of LTR transmission

quade1952

Premium Subscriber
I have just purchased the sds200 and noticed at the end of my police transmissions I get a burst of static for a few seconds and wonder if it is just because the station is just miles away, it is LTR, also when I turn on the unit squelch starts at 19 but I cannot adjust it lower until the unit warms up for about 30 minutes, has anyone had the problem of not being able to adjust squelch for 30min.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I have just purchased the sds200 and noticed at the end of my police transmissions I get a burst of static for a few seconds and wonder if it is just because the station is just miles away, it is LTR, also when I turn on the unit squelch starts at 19 but I cannot adjust it lower until the unit warms up for about 30 minutes, has anyone had the problem of not being able to adjust squelch for 30min.

This is a new one....

If indeed this isn't some 'operator error' somewhere, get it replaced, it is defective.
Look in profile/Miscellaneous. What does it say there?

Remember, it 'remembers' what squelch (etc.) is set at when you turn it off (properly) and it writes settings, etc. to the SD card.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Can you provide a link to the LTR system you re trying to monitor?

quade1952

Premium Subscriber
This is a new one....

If indeed this isn't some 'operator error' somewhere, get it replaced, it is defective.
Look in profile/Miscellaneous. What does it say there?

Remember, it 'remembers' what squelch (etc.) is set at when you turn it off (properly) and it writes settings, etc. to the SD card.
It seems to start at 19 but now i noticed it will slowly go back to my previous setting once i turn it back on, but the squelch works fine because I did test it on weather channels and on the cb channels as well, if anything new happens I will add to this post, but as of today it seems to go back to setting 4 after about 10 or 15 minutes.

quade1952

Premium Subscriber
Can you provide a link to the LTR system you re trying to monitor?
The system is LTR in Newington for PD, but it will happen at times on the MED channels, it is probably because it is not digital, the digital channels come in real nice, seems to be at end of transmissions more so for the Newington PD, on my 15x and the 436 I have not noticed it there at all, but then again the 15x is not digital, but the 436 is but not software driven, so probably due to sensitivity of the sds200, just my opinion but figured there may be a way to silence that a bit.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Have you Ben able to compare notes with other SDS200 owners in or near Newington? I assume it is Newington, Ct. (Hartford County) you are talking about? I am in Farmington and haven’t noticed any issues so your delema may be location specific. But I do on occasion visit my daughter who lives on the New Britain/Newungton town line and will let you know if I hear what you hear. My guess is you are close to something that is interfering with your monitoring. Check and make sure you have the frequencies PL’ed.

The FD Chief has mentioned the entire town (at least PD & FD) will be going to CLMRN… possibly by the end of the year. Currently, the FD has their dispatch TG up and running on CLMRN.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
It seems to start at 19 but now i noticed it will slowly go back to my previous setting once i turn it back on, but the squelch works fine because I did test it on weather channels and on the cb channels as well, if anything new happens I will add to this post, but as of today it seems to go back to setting 4 after about 10 or 15 minutes.

Out of curiosity, did you look at your profile - and what did it show for squelch?

BTW, most everybody recommends and had their squelch be at 2...

mc48

Premium Subscriber
The SDS200 has a hard squelch and volume control not a software control, the profile will not change these settings.
The squelch should adjust at any time and not need to "warm up", if you move it while the radio is off it will reflect this change when you turn it on.

quade1952

Premium Subscriber
The SDS200 has a hard squelch and volume control not a software control, the profile will not change these settings.
The squelch should adjust at any time and not need to "warm up", if you move it while the radio is off it will reflect this change when you turn it on.
So here is what happens when i turn it on, so say i set it to 2 the following day, turn it off for the night then turn it on next day, the squelch will be at 19, then after about 15 min or so it will slowly move back down to the previous setting of 2 that I set the previous day, so software must play a part in this and if not then how does it slowly move back down to 2 after about 15 min. I tested the squelch to make sure it is working and it is, it just takes a bit longer to set it, but once set it works just fine.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
So here is what happens when i turn it on, so say i set it to 2 the following day, turn it off for the night then turn it on next day, the squelch will be at 19, then after about 15 min or so it will slowly move back down to the previous setting of 2 that I set the previous day, so software must play a part in this and if not then how does it slowly move back down to 2 after about 15 min. I tested the squelch to make sure it is working and it is, it just takes a bit longer to set it, but once set it works just fine.
You may want to take a look at this thread. Someone reported a similar issue with the squelch on a BCD996P2. It is not quite the same, but has some striking similarities.

To me, it sounds like a repair issue.

@walsabrook : Were you able to resolve your squelch issue on your 996p2?

mc48

Premium Subscriber
I believe the squelch is actually an encoder not a pot and is not adjustable in the profile but is electronically controlled.
Strange problem, if you find the solution, please post it here so we all can learn.

mikerash

Premium Subscriber
Are you listening through speakers on your PC or just the speaker on the Scanner? I had the the same issue on speakers and was resolved using the network jack on the SDS200.