sds200 to upgrade or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Areomechanic

Yes, you can add any of the paid upgrades yourself later. DMR direct from Uniden is $60. Just takes a few minutes to purchase the digital keys and add them to the scanner.

Upgrades direct from Uniden
  • DMR = $60
  • NXDN = $50
  • ProVoice = $49.99

Plus tax if applicable in your State.
Thanks for the info . learning a lot by you good folks

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
The newbie OP started this thread today at 12:40PM asking if the SDS200 would be the right scanner to purchase… proclaiming their ignorance of scanners and scanning. And then, after only hours, informs all that he decided to buy the SDS200. My question; What motivated the post? I can’t believe it was out of a genuine concern about scanner choices. Not when not even 6 hours had passed. How many reply’s did you get here before you ordered the scanner, 2, maybe 3? It seems you already had your mind made up, so why post at all and waste our time? Never mind, the question is rhetorical.

A guy can read and learn a lot from posts and watching many YouTube videos in 3-1/2 hours and then come to a buying decision. As you know, some people have been on this site for twenty years, he's only been here for a day. I'd cut him a bit of slack.

Areomechanic

Thanks for your understanding! Im new as new is. I was trying to ask questions and learn here and I did do some research on youtube and I was convinced to just get good scanner that works good to great and i simply just picked the one i could afford as its my first radio. If someone can steer me the right direction is all i was looking for when i came to this site . I thought who would know more about radio/scanners was this site. Any guidance to a youtube video for dummies about scanners is much appreciated. Thanks to everybody that helped me today.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Exactly its only money and i can earn more. I was only asking about a radio not stocks.

I care. And others who try and help, who took the time to thoughtfully answer your question. Apparently you already had your mind made up. Don’t waste other peoples time with frivolous questions. There’s an old saying I’d like to share in response to the comment “I was only asking about a radio, not stocks.”, which is “A fool and his money are soon parted.”. What, there’s two types of money, one for stocks and another for radios? I’ve got some swampland in Fla. for sale… and it’s not stocks either. Interested?

Areomechanic

I care. And others who try and help, who took the time to thoughtfully answer your question. Apparently you already had your mind made up. Don’t waste other peoples time with frivolous questions. There’s an old saying I’d like to share in response to the comment “I was only asking about a radio, not stocks.”, which is “A fool and his money are soon parted.”. What, there’s two types of money, one for stocks and another for radios? I’ve got some swampland in Fla. for sale… and it’s not stocks either. Interested?

It must me lonely on that swamp with nothing but you and your static. Here’s a thought be humble and less condescending and try to get out of that D-mode that appears to be you naturally and at the end of the day you might care and have positive attitude. I came to this site for q&A but ironically I'm giving valuable life lessons, glad to help.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I care. And others who try and help, who took the time to thoughtfully answer your question. Apparently you already had your mind made up. Don’t waste other peoples time with frivolous questions.

I believe you are assuming he already had his mind made up. Now arrogance is not a good quality in a person, neither is ragging on newbies when they show up, as it can drive away new blood never to return.

I also noticed it says, "member" under your name, not moderator. Just saying.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I answer questions quite a bit here myself - if....

1. If no caps or punctuation, I probably will hard pass.
2. Attitude is everything. Those genuinely needing help are pretty much helped 99.99% of the time by everyone (me included) here.
3.Yes, I have done the search/(Google) is your friend admonition on occasion, (or passed), because there are a few questions asked/answered here weekly/(regularly) that IMO it is just plain $#@! lazy not to look first.
4. Thankfully, this is one of the only places I know of that sticks to the discussion of radios. Very little red/blue/neither horse*&^% here. Sometimes there is snark, but thankfully, it is minimal.

5. Newbs sometimes just don't know what to ask. Most here will give gentle guidance, especially for those questions where there is more info needed...

Areomechanic

I answer questions quite a bit here myself - if....

1. If no caps or punctuation, I probably will hard pass.
2. Attitude is everything. Those genuinely needing help are pretty much helped 99.99% of the time by everyone (me included) here.
3.Yes, I have done the search/(Google) is your friend admonition on occasion, (or passed), because there are a few questions asked/answered here weekly/(regularly) that IMO it is just plain $#@! lazy not to look first.
4. Thankfully, this is one of the only places I know of that sticks to the discussion of radios. Very little red/blue/neither horse*&^% here. Sometimes there is snark, but thankfully, it is minimal.

5. Newbs sometimes just don't know what to ask. Most here will give gentle guidance, especially for those questions where there is more info needed...
You have been very helpful! thanks

Areomechanic

Hi newbie with question. I bought the DMR keys today and added them to the SDS200. I did find a old computer with windows 7 and did manage to get the sentinel scanner software. What is the easiest way to get DMR programming thats in Snohomish, Skagit, King county. Do you have a list of frequencies or do i search for everything thats shows DMR on radio reference or just let the scanner search?, or use scanner sentinel software. so confusing and overwhelming. I thought this would be a lot easier thinking this radio is like plug and play and finding out i need programming 101.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hi newbie with question. I bought the DMR keys today and added them to the SDS200. I did find a old computer with windows 7 and did manage to get the sentinel scanner software. What is the easiest way to get DMR programming thats in Snohomish, Skagit, King county. Do you have a list of frequencies or do i search for everything thats shows DMR on radio reference or just let the scanner search?, or use scanner sentinel software. so confusing and overwhelming. I thought this would be a lot easier thinking this radio is like plug and play and finding out i need programming 101.
For each county, look at the list of trunked systems for DMR systems that are in the RadioReference database. As long as they are in the database, and have at least some talkgroups assigned, they should also show up in Sentinel's database. If that's the case, you can append them to an existing, or new, Favorites list.
Here's a partial shot of King County's list.
I clicked on the Type header label, which sorted the systems by type:
1652241094060.png

The Digital Frequency Search page will produce a list of licensees in a county who are authorized to use DMR.

That does not guarantee that DMR is in use, only that they are licensed to do so. If you use that search, it's likely that you will find at least some that are actively using the DMR format, but are not currently in the RR database. You can always search a range of frequencies, or program specific frequencies that are licensed for DMR to see if they are being used in that mode. Please submit any new DMR users you find to the database for that county.

Areomechanic

For each county, look at the list of trunked systems for DMR systems that are in the RadioReference database. As long as they are in the database, and have at least some talkgroups assigned, they should also show up in Sentinel's database. If that's the case, you can append them to an existing, or new, Favorites list.
View attachment 121172

The Digital Frequency Search page will produce a list of licensees in a county who are authorized to use DMR.

That does not guarantee that DMR is in use, only that they are licensed to do so. If you use that search, it's likely that you will find at least some that are actively using the DMR format, but are not currently in the RR database. You can always search a range of frequencies, or program specific frequencies that are licensed for DMR to see if they are being used in that mode. Please submit any new DMR users you find to the database for that county.
Thanks alot!

Areomechanic

View attachment 121172

any dmr in snohomish,skagit?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
any dmr in snohomish,skagit?
A couple listed for Snohomish.
1652243758804.png
The only one currently listed for Skagit is also listed for Snohomish.
1652243838014.png

But as I indicated, if you run Digital Frequency Search, undoubtedly you will find additional companies or agencies authorized for DMR. But you'll have to simply try the frequencies to see if they are active. Based on what I see here in my area (Dallas/Fort Worth metro), there's a larger number of active DMR users that have not been fully documented & submitted to the database.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Do you have a list of frequencies or do i search for everything thats shows DMR on radio reference or just let the scanner search?, or use scanner sentinel software. so confusing and overwhelming.

YouTube is your friend in this case. There a ton of videos on this and related subjects. I highly recommend you "learn" what/how/why DMR works versus other modes. Don't focus on pushing a few buttons just to program the scanner. If you really get into the hobby then it's a lot more fun -- well until you discover all about encryption. :cautious:

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Im buying another SDS200 when i get more munneys saves. Its only money.

True, and like they say, "You can't take it with you when you die." So, if you need "justification"...

Life expectancy - Current age = Remaining Years*
Balance in retirement account / Remaining Years* = Yearly Available
Yearly Available - 10% to factor for inflation = EMERGENCY RADIO HOBBY FUND
EMERGENCY RADIO FUND / Remaining Years will show how little the purchase will affect your future life...
... so knock yourself out!

Remaining Years* (Average age your related relatives died + 10 years as a safety measure.)

Note: This is retirement savings only, not 401K's, IRA's or calculated with Social Security.
Note: Naturally any monies deducted from your retirement savings account will affect future interest.
Note: This is for entertainment purposes only, and not to be taken or used as sound financial advice. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.