SDS200 USB Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

WRQS621

Banned
Banned
My computer doesn’t recognize either USB port on my SDS200. To update firmware and database I have to remove microSD card. I have searched the internet and can’t find anything about this issue. Any ideas on how to get the SDS200 to be recognized? I other Uniden scanners that a required no drivers. I find it odd that both front and back USB ports aren’t recognized.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
To make sure.....
The (front, under the RJ45) micro USB is one of them that you think doesn't work...?
(It is the only one that actually does...)
I am going to assume you don't get the select USB mode screen?
(The press "E" or "." screen)

It is 99% probability that it is NOT the radio that is the issue.

You don't say what OS you are using. Good place to start.
Also, are you using the cable that came with the radio?
Try another one, to eliminate that being the issue.

USB hub, or a USB port directly on the computer?
Go direct.

Did you check device manager to see if there was a USB port error?
(Check show hidden devices)
Try another USB port.

Last edited:

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Make sure to use a USB data cable, and not just a cheapo USB charging cable. Often its kind of hard to tell the difference from a visual but you can usually tell if nothing you plug into your computer with it will recognize. Those cheap and yet somehow also extremely overpriced gas station USB charging cables are the primary culprits.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Also try swapping out the cable… it may be the correct cable but it has seen better days. I had one fail on me but I lucked out because I had two SDS200’s and tried the other cable which was still in the box.

WRQS621

Banned
Banned
I am using Windows 10. I have swapped out the cable but I will try others. I don’t have the cable that came with radio. I will try again tonight and report my findings.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I am using Windows 10. I have swapped out the cable but I will try others. I don’t have the cable that came with radio. I will try again tonight and report my findings.

There are no special drivers needed with Windows 10, so the (probable) issue is either the cable, or the USB port.
Is it connected directly to a USB port on the computer?
Have you even looked at device manager?

Do you get the press "E" or "." screen on the radio?

WRQS621

Banned
Banned
It was the cable. Wow. Everything works now. Thank you to everyone who responded. To those who found this post, you need a data cable. They usually thicker than charging cables.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
It was the cable. Wow. Everything works now. Thank you to everyone who responded. To those who found this post, you need a data cable. They usually thicker than charging cables.
Yep, those cables are known as charge only cables as mentioned earlier.
They only contain the two power wires and maybe a shield wire. The 5 volt power wire and the negative or common wires are included so you can charge a cell phone.
They are missing the other two wires which are USB Data - and Data + which are the two wires needed for USB data communications.

If I find a charge only cable in my cable bin, it goes directly into the trash unless it has some proprietary end on one end or something.

teedee911

Longtime Member
Premium Subscriber
My computer doesn’t recognize either USB port on my SDS200. To update firmware and database I have to remove microSD card. I have searched the internet and can’t find anything about this issue. Any ideas on how to get the SDS200 to be recognized? I other Uniden scanners that a required no drivers. I find it odd that both front and back USB ports aren’t recognized.

I had the same issue so I tried 3 different USB cables, the 3rd one was the charm. I threw the other two out.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I had the same issue so I tried 3 different USB cables, the 3rd one was the charm. I threw the other two out.
Since I'd posted that, I found two charge only cables that I kept. I had them marked with tags indicating what they were.
I remember using them when needing to charge from a computers USB port before. The charge only cables allowed me to do that but without the computer detecting the device and installing drivers to work with whatever the device was like a full data cable would have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.