SDS200 Vertical White Line In Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber
On my SDS200 I am suddenly getting a white vertical line on my display - as seen in the attached photo.

Is there a known fix for this? Since the unit is in fairly immaculate shape (I bought it last August), I'm curious if:
1) Is this a known issue?
2) I bought it last August (2020) - what, if any, warranty remedy might I have?

Thanks much for any / all input!SDS200_White_Line_20210527_130843.jpg

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Sorry to hear of this issue. Early generation SDS200's had their share of display problems, but I don't ever recall this one in particular. I think it was multiple horizontal lines and/or flickering. Just what Uniden needs, another defect epidemic! (n)

You have a one year factory warranty that will cover that by most likely requiring a replacement display. Although it may just be a poor connection with the ribbon cable on the display. Possibly try moving it a little or very carefully remove it and reseat it. Be very careful not to damage visibly and risk voiding your warranty! Don't wait, get it into Uniden ASAP!

Keep us updated on the outcome!

donc13

Premium Subscriber
On my SDS200 I am suddenly getting a white vertical line on my display - as seen in the attached photo.

Is there a known fix for this? Since the unit is in fairly immaculate shape (I bought it last August), I'm curious if:

Thanks much for any / all input!View attachment 104240
That would be typical with bad connection or bad display driver chip. You should also see it when you turn the radio on while it loads databases, etc and when you turn it off while it's writing to the microSD card.

You should still be under warranty.

MStep

Doubt that it will help, but have you tried saving all your data to your card and then doing a master reset of the radio? I would tend to go along with the answers above regarding replacement display, but if it is going out to Uniden anyway, a reset is worth a try.

Also, is the unit fairly permanently placed, or does it get moved around a lot or used in the mobile? If so, I would gently open the unit and check the ribbon cable connections. Everything must be done carefully so as no to void the warranty, as mentioned above. And YES, please keep us posted.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There's a small chance you can fix it by reseating the LCD ribbon cable. But most likely, that's a hardware problem with the LCD driver, not a software/firmware problem, and your options are live with it or send it in to Uniden for repair.

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber
That would be typical with bad connection or bad display driver chip. You should also see it when you turn the radio on while it loads databases, etc and when you turn it off while it's writing to the microSD card.

You should still be under warranty.
Sadly, this is in line with what I was suspecting. My OCD will flare up every time I see it. Guess I'll get a RMA form Uniden ASAP and get it back to them. Thanks!

Have a safe weekend, everyone!

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber
Doubt that it will help, but have you tried saving all your data to your card and then doing a master reset of the radio? I would tend to go along with the answers above regarding replacement display, but if it is going out to Uniden anyway, a reset is worth a try.

Also, is the unit fairly permanently placed, or does it get moved around a lot or used in the mobile? If so, I would gently open the unit and check the ribbon cable connections. Everything must be done carefully so as no to void the warranty, as mentioned above. And YES, please keep us posted.

Thanks for your response... I suspect @donc13 nailed it... That would be in-line with similar issues I've seen with other electronics with LCD screens. Thinking I'll get a RMA from Uniden and send it in.

But to answer your question - it was very very rarely moved. Never dropped, etc. So whatever happened, happened all by itself.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Cheers!

MStep

Thanks for your response... I suspect @donc13 nailed it... That would be in-line with similar issues I've seen with other electronics with LCD screens. Thinking I'll get a RMA from Uniden and send it in.

But to answer your question - it was very very rarely moved. Never dropped, etc. So whatever happened, happened all by itself.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Cheers!

Keep us all posted---- I know what you mean by your OCD flaring up. I think we all suffer from that when it comes to our electronic equipment.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

The SDS200's are mysterious in that regard. My buddy had two that worked perfect from day one and they remained that way for about a year, then one day BOTH of them aquired the audio noise problem. Nothing else happened that could possibly explain it. Now they continue to work without the problem coming back.

palmerjrusa

Thanks much for any / all input!View attachment 104240

Had exactly the same thing happen 7 months after purchasing my HomePatrol 2 (except the line was horizontal).

I assume it's due to a bad display connection that's developed in the ribbon cable.

Sent it back to Uniden for repair under warranty.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
As for 'known', this issue has been seen a few times. A few cases does not mean an 'epidemic'.

The solution is sending it to repair. Only you would know your warranty status. If you purchased it new last August, it should still be under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.