SDS200 vs. 536HP for Analog/Conventional Frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTScannerNut

I've been seriously considering pulling the trigger on the SDS200. But $700 is a lot if I would only benefit from a nicer display. I listen to analog/conventional and P25 phase 1 traffic exclusively on my 536HP. Simulcast is NOT an issue in my area. So my question for those that have compared the two, is the SDS200 any more sensitive or "better" at picking up this kind of traffic? I've read a few posts where owners stated that the SDS200 outperformed the BCD536, but unclear if this applies to traditional/conventional traffic or only in regards to Simulcast.

I should add I live in a rural area and use an outdoor mounted Diamond discone antenna. There are no radio towers in my vicinity that would interfere with reception. My 536HP routinely picks up traffic 25-30+ miles from me. Thanks for your insight.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Comparing the 436 and SDS100, there is little difference with both connected to the same antenna on analog or non-simulcast. But for simulcast the SDS is far better. If you have no simulcast near you, and don't plan on traveling with the scanner, a 536 is a perfectly fine choice.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The displays on the SDS models are much better than those on the x36HP models. So that is an improvement, although nothing to do with RF performance.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the help. I may still get the SDS200 as I like getting new toys :) But I won't expect much difference from what I have now in terms of reception.

If the question is "do I need it", we have given you that answer. If "you want it", well only you can answer that. Buy from one of the vendors with a good return policy in case you experience the "processor noise/hum/crackle" that has been flooding the forums. Read up on the use of the filters especially for analog systems, but might benefit your P25 Phase 1 system. The programming from the 536 to the 200 is very close and if you change the target model to the SDS 200 in Sentinel, you can duplicate your programming. Good luck in your decision.

MTScannerNut

The displays on the SDS models are much better than those on the x36HP models. So that is an improvement, although nothing to do with RF performance.

Speaking of the display, I remember reading a post or two about the display not being very bright on the SDS200. Any truth to that?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Some units have dim or uneven keypad lighting, but I haven't seen any complaints about the display itself.

MTScannerNut

If the question is "do I need it", we have given you that answer. If "you want it", well only you can answer that. Buy from one of the vendors with a good return policy in case you experience the "processor noise/hum/crackle" that has been flooding the forums. Read up on the use of the filters especially for analog systems, but might benefit your P25 Phase 1 system. The programming from the 536 to the 200 is very close and if you change the target model to the SDS 200 in Sentinel, you can duplicate your programming. Good luck in your decision.

Honestly, the hum/crackle issue concerns me most. Do you guys think Uniden has resolved that on the newest production units? Part of me says to give it another 6 months just in case.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Uniden has issued a fix for the hum/crackle problem, a free user-installable part for older units that is factory-installed on new units.

Joe_Blough

Uniden has issued a fix for the hum/crackle problem, a free user-installable part for older units that is factory-installed on new units.
It wasn't a fix. It was a half assed gesture with the hum returning even with the part installed.

The true cause and fix has been determined by Static Discharge here. It is lacquer under the grounding screws for the display board.

The true fix here with pictures has been handed to Uniden on a silver platter. They have refuse to address the real cause of the issue so the discussion was moved from the Uniden Tech Support forum to the Uniden Tavern.

I don't think 6 months will be sufficient for Uniden to fix it. I doubt they will bother at all based on their track record.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The RJ45 network interface port on the front of the SDS200 offers some options you might want to read up on. Depending on how you use your scanner it can offer some benefits. Also read up on some of the problems people are having with the SDS200. If you're not in a hurry you might wait until the dust settles on it and see what Uniden might do about it. Just don't hold your breath!

MTScannerNut

It wasn't a fix. It was a half assed gesture with the hum returning even with the part installed.

The true cause and fix has been determined by Static Discharge here. It is lacquer under the grounding screws for the display board.

The true fix here with pictures has been handed to Uniden on a silver platter. They have refuse to address the real cause of the issue so the discussion was moved from the Uniden Tech Support forum to the Uniden Tavern.

I don't think 6 months will be sufficient for Uniden to fix it. I doubt they will bother at all based on their track record.

Well that stinks. I would have thought (hoped) Uniden would have addressed the issue by now. Especially if the fix is a minor one and easy to implement like this one. Has Uniden addressed this issue on the forums at all? $700 is a lot to spend on a product one might have to send right back or attempt the DIY repair. In my case, it would be returned for a refund immediately.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!

Well that stinks. I would have thought (hoped) Uniden would have addressed the issue by now. Especially if the fix is a minor one and easy to implement like this one. Has Uniden addressed this issue on the forums at all? $700 is a lot to spend on a product one might have to send right back or attempt the DIY repair. In my case, it would be returned for a refund immediately.
Uniden HAS addressed the issue, by designing and offering the grounding part for free. The extra part fixed the issue for most people. For those that still have the issue after installing the grounding part, it's probably due to not completely removing the adhesive residue from the strip of black stuff you have to remove to install the part.

And the main thread on the subject hasn't been deleted, it was just moved. It's still easy to find.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Honestly, the hum/crackle issue concerns me most. Do you guys think Uniden has resolved that on the newest production units? Part of me says to give it another 6 months just in case.

There is a bunch of threads on this. That's why I mentioned about purchasing from a reputable dealer with a return policy that fits your concern. Set up a program via Sentinel before it arrives, upload to the scanner and if you're hearing noise that you believe is unusable, send it back. Many of us don't have the problem either.

radio3353

Uniden HAS addressed the issue, by designing and offering the grounding part for free. The extra part fixed the issue for most people. For those that still have the issue after installing the grounding part, it's probably due to not completely removing the adhesive residue from the strip of black stuff you have to remove to install the part.

But, I think there are two problems with your analysis based on various threads...
1. Radio with factory installed 'mitigation' part have been reported to have the hum out of the box.
2. Radio with factory or user installed 'mitigation' part have had no hum at first, but then the hum developed or returned over time.

This is why some users do not agree that the 'mitigation' part is a fix and feel Uniden has not fully addressed the issue. And why the extra ground wire proposed and installed by a user here is the proper fix.

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
Correct. I put the part in and it worked for a while. The hum slowly came back likely due to part not pressing as hard as before. I disassembled and soldered a wire to the screen frame. Now if it is making a sound, I can't hear it.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
But, I think there are two problems with your analysis based on various threads...
1. Radio with factory installed 'mitigation' part have been reported to have the hum out of the box.
2. Radio with factory or user installed 'mitigation' part have had no hum at first, but then the hum developed or returned over time.

This is why some users do not agree that the 'mitigation' part is a fix and feel Uniden has not fully addressed the issue. And why the extra ground wire proposed and installed by a user here is the proper fix.
The fix may not be 100% perfect, but it's not correct to say Uniden has ignored the problem. They took the time and trouble to design and fabricate a part to solve the problem, and made the part available for free to people with affected units.

Status
Not open for further replies.