SDS200 with Sentinel and W10. Cannot get driver to load

spectr17

Just got a new SDS200. I made sure both were upgraded to latest software. 1.21.00 for the scanner and 2.03 for Sentinel.

I have a good programming cable and get the ka dunk e dunk when i plug it it. Windows 10 says cant find the right driver. So i search here and find a link for Windows serial driver and download that. When i right click the unknown device in device manager and try and update the driver windows doesnt see the unzipped driver files in my downloads folder. Then i read somewhere on here that driver is for a serial connection, DB-9 i assume.

So, what next? Try another programming software?

Thx

spectr17

That may be my issue. So i plug the cable into the front USB A port and then the mini goes to computer? I dont have a mini input on my desktop so an adapter is needed? Sure would be nice to have a programming diagram on the hookup in the op manual. It has zippo on programming connection, just how to update firmware and all that says is connect supplied cable to your computer. With 2 ports on the scanner you can use it would be even better to say which port to use. KISS applies here.

Thx

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
From your manual link, it says this.

"Turn on the scanner. When you connect the mini USB cable to the scanner ("Charge" port) and then to a USB port on your computer you will see "USB Cable Detected Select USB Mode" - "Mass Storage = "E" or Serial Port = ".".
Press E/yes to use Mass Storage mode for connection to the Sentinel software, database updates, firmware updates, and for reviewing Discovery sessions and recordings.
Windows should install drivers needed to read the SD card like an external drive and can be viewed in Windows/File Explorer."

Thats how i had it hooked up, and no driver found that works.

It gets more confusing the more i read.
On the SDS200, you need a USB to micro (not mini) USB cable connected to the micro USB port on the front of the scanner. Sounds like you're reading the instructions for the SDS100.

The drivers used to enter the "mass storage" mode are native to Windows, and you don't need to add them.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
The only time a driver (Serial driver from Uniden) might be needed would be running the scanner in Serial Mode...
Mass Storage mode it just looks like a drive (USB Flash drive) to the computer...

spectr17

Other way around, sorry meant to say "micro". Micro end goes into scanner. USB-A end to computer

Thank you, i had the wrong port on scanner. With 3 ports on the scanner the manual should say which one to plug into. A simple diagram of hookup would be great.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
And two of those ports aren't even used for anything...

USB A on the front....
Micro USB on the back....

Last edited:

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Also, if you don't watch for the prompt on the 200's display (To select Mass Storage Mode) when you plug it in to your computer...
The scanner will default to Serial Mode if you do nothing...

Serial mode is for running third party software... Like ProScan...
Although with ProScan, on the 200, you can use the Eithernet Port on the front of the scanner to link in to your home network...

Last edited: