SDS200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bucketeer

Premium Subscriber
Hello Everybody,

My name is Tom, and I live in Central Florida, about 35 miles NW of Orlando. I am a SWL and used to be a scanner listener until track and encryption became standard. I have a Radio Shack PRO-2006, but about the only thing I hear is NOAA weather. It's pretty much a brick any more.

I've been looking at the Uniden Bearcat SDS 200. I have 2 questions.

1) I've read that you can program this scanner simply entering your Zip Code. Yes or No?

2) If you are able to program the scanner by entering your Zip Cope, does the SDS200 allow you to enter additional Zip Codes?

I'm mostly interested in monitoring Police/Fire/EMS. Thanks in advance for your comments.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
1) You can get started with just zip code, but you'll likely find you want more control than this will allow.

2) Only one zip code at a time, but you can enter a range (distance) on how far out to look from the center of that one zip code.

You will need a Windows PC to keep the scanner updated, and the Sentinel software provided by Uniden at no additional cost.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Below I have listed your area and notes the SDS200 is a great scanner but no scanner does encryption.
Sumter County Talkgroups
NextLevel.gif

DEC HEX Mode Alpha TagDescriptionTag
110244eDESC FireFire Fire Dispatch
1104450DESC FireFire Fire-Tac
1107453DSumterHeloLZSumter Helo LZ Interop
12284ccDSumter HailSumter Hailing Interop
1540604DSumter SO-1Sheriff Dispatch Law Dispatch
1601641DSumter FR-1Sumter 1 Interop
1609649DSumter FR-2Sumter 2 Interop
161064aDSumter FR-3Sumter 3 Interop
161164bDSumter FR-4Sumter 4 Interop
161264cDSumter FR-5Sumter 5
D is Digital E is fulltime Encryption e is parttime Encryption
T is P25 Phase 2 Digital E is fulltime Encryption e is parttime Encryption

cpfinlay

Feed Provider
You can enter the zip code from the keypad as well as remove the service types you don't want to scan in order to limit it to what you want to monitor.

It's also easy to set up Favorites lists within Uniden's Sentinel (free), which you need to update firmware and apply the weekly RR database updates. You can PC to the scanner via USB or insert the scanner's uSD card into an appropriate card reader attached to the PC in order to program and update it.

It's my favorite scanner to date.

mr10pt

Premium Subscriber
If you do purchase the 200, I would recommend NOT paying for programming. That will not help you when YOU want to make changes. This scanner/computer has a large learning curve if not computer savvy (like me), but you'll be amazed what you and the people here (plus forums) can help you with. Prior to purchasing the scanner you can download Sentinel (free) to play with. Set up your favorites list and other bells and whistles, and there are a lot of bells and whistles you can add if you like but not needed for just monitoring. I have not looked into your area (provided above) but if simulcast is mentioned, then the SDS200 is the way to go. Im older so I need a bigger display and bigger buttons with a louder speaker. As you advance, you can purchase ProScan (I'm a paid subscriber) so you can see/listen/control your private scanner while away from home providing you have internet service to stream.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Even though you can only use one ZIP code at a time to listen to the database and scan at specified distance or range from your ZIP code which is basically estimating your longitude and latitude you can save different ZIP codes in a list in the radio and then go back to them and pick out the zip codes you want by having saved them.

Status
Not open for further replies.