SDS200E Slow AF Scan Any tips?

adsbgreenock

Hello guys,

Ive got around 50 systems programmed with all the departments, sites locations the full shebang.
These are all sorted alphabetically and with lowest to highest frequencies taking care to make sure i have only active frequencies in my FL. I cant help but notice during a scan it is awful slow. For example while it is on the systems beginning with 'A' there is stuff happening on the systems beginning with 'T' by the time the radio gets there the moment is over.

What i have now taken to doing is just entering a big list of frequencies with no names, addresses, location etc
Just adding a system, and the filling it with freqs and colour codes. Its the only way i can get the radio to actually shift through quickly. And it seems to work 10x faster this way. So the radio appears to be scanning slower with all the data in tow (UIDS, Location, Addresses, TGIDs etc etc

Surely there has to be another way?

Any advice appreciated

a417

There are plenty of threads on here regarding this, search for SDS200 slow scan and you will find many of them.

For starters, what filter settings are you using? Having a large scan list with "50 systems programmed with all departments, sites locations the full shebang" isn't helping. The more you scan, the more time it takes to peruse the list...

adsbgreenock

For starters, what filter settings are you using? Having a large scan list with "50 systems programmed with all departments, sites locations the full shebang" isn't helping. The more you scan, the more time it takes to peruse the list...

Hi there thanks for the reply.
I didn't think 50 systems was a lot compared to some of the guys radios I've seen on here. Even with location control scan speed is dismal at best.
OK I will do another search and see what I find. The filter seems to work best on wide invert I've tried them all in various combinations.

Regards

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
As long as filter isn’t on AUTO, as that slows things down. Fifty trunked systems with multiple sites each is a lot to scan. Make sure you only have the sites that are within range of your location, or have valid gps coordinates for your systems and for your location and have location control enabled on your favorites.

And lastly you can’t make observation about scan speed by looking at the display, as it doesn’t keep up with scanning rate.

With all that said, these are relatively slow scanners.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I am fully awake now. If you are scanning anywhere near 50 trunked systems, even with only one site per system, it will take forever to cycle through that. I scan 3 or 4 systems on a 200 and no more than 4 sites per system. It take 1.5 to 2 seconds per site to check for traffic.
I doubt you’ve seen anyone on here say they scan that many TRS’s and get acceptable speed, unless its someone with 10 scanners going.

adsbgreenock

I doubt you’ve seen anyone on here say they scan that many TRS’s and get acceptable speed, unless its someone with 10 scanners going.

Hi there,

Yes I fully understand what you mean. And you're bang on. I guess I have been looking at the screen of the server.

I have GPS set for each site.
All of my sites are in Glasgow Scotland UK. I am around 28 miles from there.

I have found this method (even though it sounds daft) of just programming the frequencys (120) into a FL and then as the scanner finds the cc TG etcetera during the scan naming it with a short name and saving it.
It seems rapid that way and I'm picking up a lot more. Thankfully there are not many trunked systems around me except data stuff.

My filter isn't set to wide invert like I said it's set to 'normal' and the search filter option is set to normal too.

The only thing apart from the speed, as much as I would like to have all the data, tg, ccs, sites, departments and feel I'm doing the scanner out of its actual purpose. This is the best way for me at this point. I guess as long as its stopping on channels, decoding and then moving on briefly to the next that's what it's all about.

Thanks for your input

Much appreciated

Ubbe

You can check the scan speed by removing the antenna so it won't receive anything. It should just swish past all sites and systems at a 45ch/s rate.

If it detects a carrier on a control channel in a programmed trunked system it will stop for that 1,5s time until it starts scanning again, if the site didn't carry any calls during that time.

A scanner like Whistler scans only the voice channels in some system types so it doesn't have that control channel problem, it only stops on a channel if there's an ongoing conversation. It has to scan more channels, as voice channels are a lot more than a single control channel, and that could take even longer if there's a lot of voice channels on a site that are busy with calls that you don't want to monitor.

If you rearrange your systems and only scan them as conventional channels and not trunked, then it works more like a Whistler scanner but without Whistlers trunk capability.

/Ubbe