• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Sdtv

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffrey420

ShawnCowden said:
do all sdtvs pick up the sub channels ???

If you are talking about digital sub channels the answer is no.

sdtv stands for standard definition tele-vision.

most sdtv's have only ntsc tuners. If it has a atsc tuner then you can.

I think the only reason that they put sdtv on the newer models that have the atsc tuners is so people don't think they are getting Hi-Def just because it has a digital tuner.

ShawnCowden

FEATURES

Category SDTV (standard definition)
Tuner ATSC/NTSC
Comb Filter 2-LINE
Screen Size 27"
Aspect Ratio 4:3
Adjustable Color Warmth
Preferred Picture Presets - 4 Modes
Sound Logic (Auto Volume Correction)
Sound Type Broadcast Stereo
Audio Preset Modes - 4 Modes
On-Screen Menu System in English, Spanish, French
Auto Channel Search
Favorite Channel List
V-Chip
Front Panel Lock
KIDPASS
Time Display
Sleep & Wake Timers
Calendar Mode
On-Screen Notepad
Side A/V Jacks L + R + V
Video 1 Input L + R + V & S-Video

car2back

ShawnCowden said:
do all sdtvs pick up the sub channels ???

I just bought a 32" Sanyo SDTV at Wally-world last week, it gets the sub channels (i.e.- 6.1, 6.2)

There's 2 seperate coax hookups on the back, one for the analog tuner and one for the digital tuner. with 2 antennas, I can watch analog or digital TV by scrolling through channels just like normal (6, 6.1, 6.2, etc.)

car2back

pretty much: If you wanna watch the HD signal, then hookup to the Digital "Anntena In", If you wanna watch regular (analog) TV, hookup to the "Analog In"; if you wanna have access to both without swapping the antenna around and having to reprogram your channel list, get a splitter or 2 antennas!

kc4jgc

My Phillips HD capable TV only has one antenna/cable port but has a ton of a/v connections. I have the antenna on the antenna port (of course), and cable coming in on the AV1 port. This also allows use of the PIP function. I can switch to over the air digital/analog by pressing the "A/D" button on the remote control. My XYL doesn't really like digital, so she presses the "AV" button to go to cable. I, in turn, press the "A/D" button to return to over the air digital.

During the time I had digital cable, that was coming in on the HD CVI port. Dumped the cable HD because the company was only carrying the local CBS and PBS station on HD. :( They were carrying other channels like ESPN, TNT, INHD, the premium (movie) channels and a few other cable networks but that was it. Others were in SD.

ShawnCowden

I mostly want mine for the SUB- CHANNELS. WYMT in kentucky switched to digital VHF channel and i hear we can pick them up better. I hope they stay VHF for the benefit of me picking them up 57 UHF channel # and channel 12 for the vhf digital ch number

kc4jgc

ShawnCowden said:
I mostly want mine for the SUB- CHANNELS. WYMT in kentucky switched to digital VHF channel and i hear we can pick them up better. I hope they stay VHF for the benefit of me picking them up 57 UHF channel # and channel 12 for the vhf digital ch number
If you're REALLY in Lancaster that's quite a haul between you and a Kentucky station. I think you'd be much better off with the Columbus stations. Actually, all the digital broadcasts are on UHF. It's my understanding that when the analog sigs go silent, the VHF channels will no longer exist. This makes sense as how would those of us with HDTV's reprogram the digital tuners?

Are there any different programming on the "sub channels" in your area?
Check this thread I started in June:

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39882

Scroll down to post #6 to see what's up in southeast Virginia.

BTW my antenna is the Radio Shack U-75 yagi up about 20 feet using about 50 feet of CATV grade RG 58 coaxial feedline. The "75" refers to claimed reception range in miles. At what height above the ground this claim is based on I don't know. The TV transmitters in this area are about 15 air miles from my home.

mdulrich

Premium Subscriber
kc4jgc said:
Actually, all the digital broadcasts are on UHF. It's my understanding that when the analog sigs go silent, the VHF channels will no longer exist
Somebody better tell the ones transmitting on VHF. My local NBC affiliate is on 8.1. And I've watched a Columbus, Ohio NBC affiliate on 4.1 and 4.2.

Mike

kc4jgc

mdulrich said:
Somebody better tell the ones transmitting on VHF. My local NBC affiliate is on 8.1. And I've watched a Columbus, Ohio NBC affiliate on 4.1 and 4.2.

Mike
If you look in the FCC database you'll find that the digital signals are on UHF. There are NO digital sigs on VHF.

In Columbus, for example, WCMH-TV's (channel 4) digital signal is on 470-476 MHz (channel 14). The only station on channel 8 in Ohio is WJW in Cleveland. Its digital sig is on 572-578 MHz (channel 31). Below is a link on the FCC DB on all full service TV stations in Ohio. Click on a station link & scroll down to where you see the digital listing.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?state=OH&call=&arn=&city=&chan=&cha2=69&serv=TV&type=0&facid=&list=2&dist=&dlat2=&mlat2=&slat2=&dlon2=&mlon2=&slon2=&size=9

kc4jgc

ShawnCowden said:
Just looked up WYMT-DT's listing in Hazard KY. Was surprised to see their DTV sig IS on VHF 12. Definitely a first! This has me wondering... was my source wrong or maybe referring to channels 2-6 only???

Shawn, how does the channel for WYMT-DT display... 57.1 or 12.1? I suspect 57.1....

flyingwolf

Here in Batavia Ohio, just outside of Cincinnati, I get many many sub channels on my TV.

Its an SDTV with a digital tuner, which just means I can pick up the hi def broadcast, and it is scaled down to a Standard Def signal.

and so on.

Those are just some of the ones I watch often.

Like when CSI is on I watch the Hi def broadcast as the send it in Dolby surround, the standard one is compressed to stereo.

SO with the Hi Def broadcast I get a nice sound.

mdulrich

Premium Subscriber
ShawnCowden said:
what is on 4.2 ??? Also what is on the other sub channels here in the columbus area
4.2 is or was the night I watched the local/regional NBC version of The Weather Channel.

Mike

kc4jgc

Being that there are now 2 on the high VHF band (channels 7-13) there's probably more. I now wonder if there are any in the low band (2-6). If there are that would totally debunk what I was told earlier.

BTW Mike, cool link at antennaweb.

Status
Not open for further replies.