SE Ohio Snow....

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLWilson

We didn't get very much snow in Gallia County, but, it sure looks like surrounding counties, Lawrence, Meigs, Jackson and Vinton got dumped on.

And of course, SW Ohio, Columbus and Cleveland are REALLY deep in it!

Been listening to our county garage on the scanner. They've got things pretty well cleared up.

OSP in Gallia/Meigs (Post27) hasn't had too many crashes today....

Steve/KB8FAR :confused:

Last edited:

KevinGC

Officially 20.5 inches here in Columbus. 3 records set. Most snowfall in 24 hour period, most snowfall from one storm, and most snowfall on this date.

Bucko

It is amazing what a 100 mile distance makes, it looks like we may have got a total of 6 inches or so but it drifted so bad it is hard to determine exactly.

KevinGC

Here's the official text from the NWS

Record Report
Statement as of 12:44 am EST on March 09, 2008

... Record daily maximum snowfall set at Columbus for March 8...
... Record all time storm total snowfall set at Columbus...
... Record all time 24 hour maximum snowfall set at Columbus...

A record daily snowfall of 15.5 inches was set at Columbus
yesterday. This breaks the old record of 5.5 set in 1984.

The Port Columbus International Airport recorded 15.5 inches of
snowfall on March 8. This... combined with the five inches that fell
on March 7... provides a storm total snowfall of 20.5 inches. This
breaks the old record for storm total snowfall of 15.3 inches set on
February 17 and 18 1910.

The 15.5 inches that fell on March 8 also broke the record for
maximum snowfall in a 24 hour period. The previous record was 12.3
inches on April 4 1987.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
KevinGC said:
Officially 20.5 inches here in Columbus. 3 records set. Most snowfall in 24 hour period, most snowfall from one storm, and most snowfall on this date.
Its good for ya :lol:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Dubbin said:
Its good for ya :lol:

Quiet, you. You don't have to shovel nearly 2 feet of snow....

FPO703

I have about 2-3 feet of snow in my driveway/yard. My street still hasn't been plowed. And, my street still has a tree blocking one lane that's been there since the Ice Storm on Wednesday.

Maybe I should sell some of this snow on eBay!

SLWilson

Ice Storm !

FPO703 said:
I have about 2-3 feet of snow in my driveway/yard. My street still hasn't been plowed. And, my street still has a tree blocking one lane that's been there since the Ice Storm on Wednesday.
Maybe I should sell some of this snow on eBay!

Ice Storm. Believe me, I do feel for you. We experienced that in 2003 (Started Feb 15, 03)...Our 911 Center ran on generator power for four complete days. Talk about being on pins & needles!

We had residents in part of our county without power for upwards of 3 1/2 weeks!

It was NOT one of those fun times to be in public safety....Oh, yeah, the first few hours were "neat" but I understood the ramifications. Any PROLONGED event takes its toll on personel, equipment....

Part of our saving grace is the temperature DIDN'T go down after the storm. It stayed around 30 degrees. We DIDN'T get the snowfall on top of the ice.

A few pics of our 2003 mess...Out in rural areas of our county, the power company had to replace nearly EVERY power pole they had. That's why people were out so long. The poles had to be trucked in. Crews had to be trucked in.

I hope I get retired before we have another one like that !!!!

Steve/KB8FAR

Last edited:

fpo701

OH DB Admin
Database Admin
Hey, I'm just waiting til I win the lottery. Then, I'll move somewhere without single-digits temps, snow, ice storms, hail, hurricanes, or tornadoes. I'm about sick of all this Ohio weather.

red8

SLWilson said:
We didn't get very much snow in Gallia County, but, it sure looks like surrounding counties, Lawrence, Meigs, Jackson and Vinton got dumped on.

And of course, SW Ohio, Columbus and Cleveland are REALLY deep in it!

Been listening to our county garage on the scanner. They've got things pretty well cleared up.

OSP in Gallia/Meigs (Post27) hasn't had too many crashes today....

Steve/KB8FAR :confused:
Boy Steve that sure is a pretty sight, I talked to my cousin, a couple of nights ago, he lives
in Ironton. He said over the weekend they got hammered, big time. He works for Portsmouth EMS.

Status
Not open for further replies.