Sea Girt Borough to discuss M/C dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

NESN

The Sea Girt Borough Council is asking residents to attend Wednesday night's council meeting to discuss the upcoming 2012 budget and sharing dispatching with Monmouth County. At 8 pm, the council will hold it's regular public meeting and conduct public discussions on the future of dispatching in Sea Girt. The borough has the opportunity to enter into a shared services agreement with the County as early as May, for dispatching that will adminstered through the Monmouth County Sheriff's Office. Both meetings will be held at the Sea Girt Elementary School on Rt.71.

Published in the Asbury Park Press (print edition, page aa3) Sunday 2/5/12

NESN

Sea Girt Council approves M/C dispatch

SEA GIRT — The borough passed a resolution at Wednesday night’s regular council meeting to enter into a shared-service agreement with the Monmouth County Sheriff’s Office for police dispatch.
The resolution passed by a 4-2 vote and the borough could make the transition by the first of June, though no specific date was officially given.
Councilwoman Anne Morris, who chairs the public safety committee, said the county will be able to provide the borough with modern technology and trained personnel that will enhance the services of the borough’s police department. Morris said the borough will also see significant cost savings by entering into the shared service agreement.

“The cost right now with the agreement for a year is $82,500. The services for dispatch that the town can offer is a little over $200,000,” Morris said.
Councilman Donald Fetzer, who voted against the resolution, said taxpayers would realize a savings of about $2 a week under the shared-service agreement.
“I think the move to a centralized dispatch is inevitable. It’s the wave of the future. The question is timing. We’ve been looking at this for ten weeks and I think we might be moving a little fast or too soon,” Fetzer said.
Fetzer felt there were still some questions with the transition regarding record keeping, prisoner transport, shift adjustments and the hours the police department would be open that needed to be addressed.

Councilman Michael Mulroy also voted against the resolution, saying the borough should wait until after the county dispatch completes a system upgrade in September.
“I do support this. My question is, is now the right time or do we commit to a September start?” Mulroy said.
Councilman Frederic Buonocore said the borough is ready to make the switch.

“I think we’ve answered all the questions we have already, and our neighboring towns are doing the same thing, Avon, Spring Lake and Brielle. This will be an outstanding service. We should have few if any problems moving forward,” Buonocore said.
Mayor Ken Farrell added that just because the dispatch will be handled at the county’s Neptune facility doesn’t mean the borough’s police will not be patrolling the streets as usual.
“There will be police officers working 24/7 just like before. In terms of geography there should be two police officers within a half mile of the station at all times,” Farrell said, adding that he is very comfortable with the switch.

The Asbury Park Press NJ | New Jersey News | APP.com

Status
Not open for further replies.