Seabrook Island Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I did a search but not seeing anything recently posted...

I am heading down to Seabrook Island next month for a few days. I have the Palmetto P25 system programmed, however my main interest is federal stuff. Is anything active in that area other than USCG? I notice that ACE Basin NWR is nearby, but I don't see any SC Listing for USFWS. Any USCG active in the area other than 171.2375?

Finally, is the "Seabrook Island Security" repeater still active for the island? I see the KNGA337 license listed expired in 2013.

I assume most of my monitoring will be Palmetto P25 and Marine.

Thanks!

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I can't answer questions regarding federal activity in this area. I think that Fort Sumter still has a repeater active in the VHF federal band.

Keep in mind that Seabrook is in Charleston County. Charleston County operates a "separate" set of sites on Palmetto 800 that only carries Charleston County talkgroups (and maybe SCHP). The state operates a different, overlapping set of Palmetto 800 sites that carry radio traffic from state agencies and other counties. You will want to program these as separate systems, because you'll need to monitor one system for Charleston County and another system for state and other county agencies.

For the Charleston County system, use the County Simulcast site (#1-10) - it covers the Seabrook area pretty well. You may also be in range of the Edisto Beach site, but you won't hear nearly as much traffic on it. Keep in mind that all Charleston Co. law enforcement talkgroups are now (recently) encrypted. Fire and EMS are still in the clear. St. Johns FD (700-series units) covers Seabrook.

For the State sytem, you'll want to use the Ravenel site (#1-59). You'll likely hear some Colleton County talkgroups off of the Ravenel site. You may also be in range of the Colleton Simulcast site (#1-15). Colleton County Fire, EMS and Sheriff radio traffic is encrypted, but Walterboro City talkgroups are clear.

I believe the Seabrook Security UHF repeater is still active in analog mode, but not much traffic is heard. There are also some DMR systems/repeaters active in the area. I have not been able to pin down the radio system used by the beach patrol/lifeguard service in the Kiawah/Seabrook area, which is called Barrier Island Ocean Rescue (Island Beach Services, LLC | Barrier Island Ocean Rescue).

Enjoy your stay.

KF4LMT

Premium Subscriber
The last time I heard any traffic from Fort Sumter, it was on 170.0500 ($293). I'm sure the ACE Basin NWR has to have a repeater system, but I've never been able to find anything. The Savannah NWR Complex farther south uses:

172.6500 ($455) - USFWS Savannah Refuges Complex Onslow
169.8250 ($4A4) - USFWS Savannah Refuges Complex Harris Neck
171.6500 ($555) - USFWS Savannah Refuges Complex Pinckney Rptr
171.7500 ($5B6) - USFWS Savannah Refuges Complex

For USCG, I would keep an ear on these for Sector Charleston's area:

171.2375 ($293) - CG 127, Sector Charleston
163.1375 ($293) - CG 113, Station Tybee
164.9000 ($293) - CG 118, Station Brunswick (GA), Station Georgetown (SC)
413.0000 ($293) - CG 410, Sector Charleston Air Ops
345.000 - Air Station Savannah Ops

The Coast Guard rotates one of the AirSta Savannah MH-65s through Air Facility Charleston at Johns Island Airport on an almost daily basis.

It wouldn't hurt to keep the Marine VHF channels in; they still get some use - particularly by the USCG Auxiliary.

Last edited:

K2ERI

any idea which simulcast sites edisto beach uses besides the edisto beach & walterboro site?

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I have not personally monitored either of those sites extensively. I suspect that Edisto Beach agencies would use the Walterboro simulcast 1-15 site rather than the Charleston Co. Edisto Bach site 1-11, since 1-11 is part of the Charleston County system. But I can't say I have heard the Edisto Beach talkgroups active on either site. Someone closer to the area might be able to provide better information than I can.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
A fair amount of activity heard on the Seabrook UHF repeater, much of it comical and inappropriate, nothing on their Palmetto 800 talkgroup.

USCG 127 has been active along with Marine 16 and 22A, thats about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.