Sealing coax connectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB9YBM

Sounds to me that water is getting in from somewhere else, possibly from the antenna itself. If you are trying to seal a coax connection and the antenna termination is open to the elements, you are going to have problems. I always laugh when I see someone coax seal a J-pole and leave the connections at the antenna elements unsealed.

That doesn't explain why lack of coax-seal prevents the corrosion but you're right about the j-pole. For that matter, I've seen a lot of kits of verticals include caps for the ends of the pipes--definitely a good idea!

WA8ZTZ

It's best to mount the SO-239 on a J-pole at a right angle and even then to seal the backside with epoxy or other such
clear sealant.
As for weatherproofing the connectors, give outdoor rated electrical duct seal a try. It seals good and removes easily.
Otherwise, for hobby use, just wrap with Scotch 33. Use only the 33, it's a bit pricey but lasts forever. Stay away from the offshore crap.

WB9YBM

As for weatherproofing the connectors, give outdoor rated electrical duct seal a try. It seals good and removes easily.
Otherwise, for hobby use, just wrap with Scotch 33. Use only the 33, it's a bit pricey but lasts forever. Stay away from the offshore crap.

Definitely agree; the best performer I've found is made by 3M.

Status
Not open for further replies.