Search and rescue frequencies, New York State?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECFD

I believe for the most part frequencies are licensed for each individual agency. Niagara Frontier SAR has around 8 of their own. If there are any “real” statewide SAR frequencies in place, they’re probably categorized as Department of Environmental Conservation.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider

KB2GOM

ak716

Premium Subscriber
New York State Federation of Search and Rescue Teams Communications Plans for Interoperability and Training Events - strait from the NYS Federation of SAR website

A few of the SAR websites say they operate on DEC channels as well as the standard SAR channel. They were also reporting use of various NIOFG channels as well as FRS and GMRS. The few times I worked with Niagara Frontier SAR, they operated on the VHF-Hi SAR channels, and we used our fire channels, they had no direct interop with FD/PD in those instances, just a unified command post and SAR was mixed in all the crews in the field. I believe they got some APX4k VHF and UHFR1's on a grant too, a few years back

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
It really depends on the region of what they will be on. As said Region 7 has a very structured plan with repeaters and channels. DEC and NYSP have those channels in the radios for use with SAR. Additionally CNYICC has interfaces to SAR stuff and local teams utilize both CNYICC and VHF SAR. Rarely does DEC channels get used in CNY, however do get used in other parts of R7 on missions.

ADK/Catskills will be 90% DEC channels in use and some VSAR16 stuff.

WNY as said uses VSAR16 for primary but both NF SAR and MSART all are licensed to multiple other channels for training or when interference is possible.

Some teams are integrated with local FIRE/EMS radios systems but many are not.

The majority of SAR missions will be with a Unified Command Post and will have multiple radios systems in use. At this time both Wilderness SAR and Oswego County SAR both operate and maintain Mobile Communications Units that are used for UC on incidents.

KB2GOM

It really depends on the region of what they will be on. As said Region 7 has a very structured plan with repeaters and channels. DEC and NYSP have those channels in the radios for use with SAR. Additionally CNYICC has interfaces to SAR stuff and local teams utilize both CNYICC and VHF SAR. Rarely does DEC channels get used in CNY, however do get used in other parts of R7 on missions.

ADK/Catskills will be 90% DEC channels in use and some VSAR16 stuff.

WNY as said uses VSAR16 for primary but both NF SAR and MSART all are licensed to multiple other channels for training or when interference is possible.

Some teams are integrated with local FIRE/EMS radios systems but many are not.

The majority of SAR missions will be with a Unified Command Post and will have multiple radios systems in use. At this time both Wilderness SAR and Oswego County SAR both operate and maintain Mobile Communications Units that are used for UC on incidents.

How about Region 4? I found 159.33 and 159.435 for Region 4 DEC and 151.22 and 151.58 for possible statewide DEC SAR frequencies.

Also, (not afraid to reveal my ignorance), can you point me to a resource for decoding the acronyms? A couple of them have me befuddled.

KC2zZe

151.2200, csq; 151.2800, csq; 151.2500, csq; and 151.2650, csq are channels 1, 2, 3, and 4 respectively in the Department of Environmental Conservation's standard channel plans. They can be used by any component of the DEC's Office of Public Protection, including the Division of Law Enforcement (EnCon Police) and the Division of Forest Protection (Forest Ranger Police). So I wouldn't necessarily call them "Statewide DEC SAR Frequencies," though they could be used during search and rescue events, along with any of the 49 other channels in their radios - depending on repeater coverage, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.