Search Canada's TAFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMcKie

Hi everybody,

I just wanted to flag that the Search Canada's TAFL site has been overhauled after a couple of years of stasis. The data has been updated to March 2017 and we should be able to support updates going forward -- at least until the government decides to make more breaking changes!

Please let me know if you have any questions or spot any problems with the site after these changes.

Cheers!

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Hi everybody,

I just wanted to flag that the Search Canada's TAFL site has been overhauled after a couple of years of stasis. The data has been updated to March 2017 and we should be able to support updates going forward -- at least until the government decides to make more breaking changes!

Please let me know if you have any questions or spot any problems with the site after these changes.

Cheers!
Thanks for the update.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Hi everybody,

Well done and thanks!

blacktop

Feed Provider
Hi there,
I notice if you try to search a discreet frequency in the range of the RR frequencies (such as 161.415 or 161.205) you will get a return of: "Nothing found for 161\.415 in NS" This happens for both New Brunswick and for Nova Scotia searches. Other provinces are fine. Other frequencies such as UHF or even VHF in the 152 MHz range all work fine. Must be an anomaly with the delimited database from ISEDC or something similar. Looks like an errant 'backslash'
thanks for the great site...

DaveH

That backslash normally shows up in other searches. Maybe the data you are looking for is missing from the database download, or it got lost/corrupted somehow. Can you find the data with another search key such as name?

You can try a wildcard search such as "161." or "160.", which turns up some RR entries. Example:

http://tafl.mckie.ca/?prov=NS&query=160..

Possibly the exact frequency is not licensed in NS or NB, but somewhere else?

Dave

Last edited:

AMcKie

Hi blacktop,

It looks like the gang here has already arrived at the right answers but I'll just throw my two cents in:

* I checked, and neither of your examples (161.415 or 161.205) appears in the NB data, but they do show up in other provinces. There are times when the data from government are lacking an explicit province, in which case I use the co-ordinates of the listed transmitter location to sort the records into provinces. For any mobile licences this can be misleading!

* The backslash is there to make sure the decimal is treated as a decimal and not a wildcard when looking for matching records - it's a sausage-making detail and obviously misleading, so I've adjusted the error message for "nothing found" to make sure it's not displayed.

As always, please post here if you ever have any questions or run into any issues!

blacktop

Feed Provider
Thanks...

Thanks DaveH ans AMcKie for the help,
Not knowing this ins and outs of using the database usage, I interpreted the slash as a symbol returned in error, so thanks for the explanation. Those two specific frequencies I was looking for have been in long time use in NS...I'm surprised (but not really) that they aren't in the official records.

Thanks for getting back to me, very much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.