Status
Not open for further replies.

cwb212001

Thanks for looking... There has been a few occasions where I have wanted to search the forums with a search term that is an abbreviation of three letters or less. The search function ignores terms three characters or less. Things like GPS or BTL or PTT. Posters rarely type out Global Positioning System, Bridge Tied Load or Push to talk. This makes it hard to find topics that have already been addressed concerning some of my questions. I understand that 'they' are trying to eliminate a million results for searches that include 'the' and 'and' but an option to allow these terms in the Advanced Search would be nice. I didn't see it in there but if there is a way please let me know. Thanks

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I to find this to be a bit of a hassle at times. My work around,,,,,

If you google " site:forums.radioreference.com gps" it searches the entire site for gps. Forums, wiki, and database results are included.

If you google "site:forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/ gps" it searches only the uniden forum for the term gps..

site:forums.radioreference.com gps =
You get https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclie....,cf.osb&fp=bfbad756b3e0f08f&biw=1280&bih=481

site:forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/ gps =
You get https://www.google.com/#q=site:foru....,cf.osb&fp=bfbad756b3e0f08f&biw=1280&bih=481

Those familiar with html, hyperlinks and how web adresses work should not have difficulty doing this. But those who don't will have a hard time..

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for looking... There has been a few occasions where I have wanted to search the forums with a search term that is an abbreviation of three letters or less. The search function ignores terms three characters or less. Things like GPS or BTL or PTT. Posters rarely type out Global Positioning System, Bridge Tied Load or Push to talk. This makes it hard to find topics that have already been addressed concerning some of my questions. I understand that 'they' are trying to eliminate a million results for searches that include 'the' and 'and' but an option to allow these terms in the Advanced Search would be nice. I didn't see it in there but if there is a way please let me know. Thanks

There is a simple work-around that seems to do the job.

I usually just put small terms such as those in quotes for a search.

For instance, my search for posts including the term GPS in the Uniden forum just now gave the usual error about the search word being too short.

When I put it in quotes, "GPS" it gives me the maximum of 250 hits.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
The problem is that search terms need to be indexed and that index is maintained by the site, which translates into more server load for the site. Dave presents the solution we have always recommended, use Google since google has the "horsepower" to handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.