BCD396XT/BCD996XT: Search Step Skips, Erroneous Hits

Status
Not open for further replies.

R7000

When searching for freqs I always set the search range and steps to match the frequency allocations.
For example when searching VHF FM Fire freqs (PF) I set step at 15 khz. 7.5 khz assignments are uncommon in my area.
Often I'll get a hit that doesn't land on the allocated frequency step, like 5 khz off.

I knobbed through a search range today manually one step at a time and noted my step size went, 15 khz, 15 khz, then 10 khz for one step, then back to 15 khz, screwing up some of the hits.

Has anyone else experienced this? Very annoying.

Tom

cg

Premium Subscriber
If you are searching both below and above appx 154.515 at the same time, the channels do not align.
I don't recall exactly where the shift is but I think it is somewhere around 154.5050/154.5150. In my area, I have licenses for each of those channels which are 10KHz separation instead of 15.

chris

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Yep, and it's been that way since at least the 1980s. That's why scanners have used the 5 kHz step size through the years When searching the VHF-Hi band except for up in the federal range.

Brian (COMMSCAN)

R7000

I’m aware of the skips in the allocation but that is not the problem. The problem is in a nutshell, I select 15 kHz steps and the machine goes stupid and makes a 10 kHz step and then goes back to 15 kHz screwing everything up in the process.

wtp

why not set it to auto/default ?
Auto Automatically assign the search step based on the band.
5.0 kHz 15.0 kHz 6.25kHz 20.0 kHz 7.5 kHz 25.0 kHz 8.33kHz 50.0 kHz 10.0 kHz 100.0 kHz 12.5 kHz

Last edited:

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Let me verify one thing real quick. Are you using a Custom Search programming with a high and low frequency you program in? Or, are you using one of those Service Search buttons that scan something like police / fire / etc? I've noticed that the Service Search feature seems to go by the real band plan steps and it would scan in 15 kHz steps, and then go to 10 kHz steps, and then back to 15 kHz again from what I remember. But it does sound like you're programming in a Custom Search (one of your 10 personally customizable search parameters with a low and high frequency you program in) Where are you personalize your own step size. If you doing that, then I'm not sure why it would change step sizes if you set one for it to scan. I've never had that happen.

I'm just trying to double check and verify that it is a Custom Search and not a Service Search you are doing?

Brian (COMMSCAN)

R7000

Let me verify one thing real quick. Are you using a Custom Search programming with a high and low frequency you program in? Or, are you using one of those Service Search buttons that scan something like police / fire / etc? I've noticed that the Service Search feature seems to go by the real band plan steps and it would scan in 15 kHz steps, and then go to 10 kHz steps, and then back to 15 kHz again from what I remember. But it does sound like you're programming in a Custom Search (one of your 10 personally customizable search parameters with a low and high frequency you program in) Where are you personalize your own step size. If you doing that, then I'm not sure why it would change step sizes if you set one for it to scan. I've never had that happen.

I'm just trying to double check and verify that it is a Custom Search and not a Service Search you are doing?

Brian (COMMSCAN)
I'm using custom search ranges, and I take care that the search range is proper for the allocated frequencies, i.e. not scanning over the odd allocation skips. The thing still messes up the 15 khz increment.

Another way to skin the cat, although you have to watch the radio for hits, is program in ALL of the allocated frequencies with a PL of SEARCH, and then wait for a hit with PL. This is a PITA though because I prefer to use SEARCH AND STORE so I can let it log freqs with PLs. I just want the freqs to be right and not need editing.

Status
Not open for further replies.