TRX-1: Searching a P25 control channel (confused new user, please help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

carmalegno

Hello Everyone,

This is a very simple question, albeit i don't know how to do this on a TRX-1.

I'm used to scanning with Uniden's BCD 396,436. When i'm using those models, i can just search a range of frequencies and whenever i hit a digital control channel, it would stop and show that there's a data transmission on it. "DAT" symbol shown on the screen.

I'm trying to do that with TRX-1. If search using the "limit search" menu, the TRX-1 would just pass that frequency. Not stopping at all. If i pause the search and use the arrow key to tune to that frequency, it will show that it has 3 bar and that's it. No indicator that it's a digital control channel. Same behavior if i use the "tune" function.

The "limit search" would stop at P25 transmission frequency, but not at control channel. Very frustrating.

How do you guys here search for digital control channel ?

I'm running the latest firmware at the time, 5.3.

SCPD

QRT
I will say it cause the 72 people before this did not.

The first thing .. these are not Uniden scanners. Do not expect them to be remotely the same as your Uniden scanners.

Now that we have taken care of that .. you can now enjoy your Whistler scanner. You have to understand they are quite different with strengths and weaknesses in each. Once you are ok with that, you will be fine.

Oh .. you cannot do what you are describing on a Whistler TRX-1.

carmalegno

Well, the scanner stops at analog control channel perfectly. It just doesn't make sense why it doesn't want to stop at digital control channel.

I think i'm going to submit a bug report, or, a suggested feature report.

I'm currently not in one of those countries with extensive RR database. Searching for CCs is the only option.

troymail

Silent Key
If you find a frequency that sounds like a control channel, just create a dummy system with that frequency and a wildcard object for talkgroups.

If you're not sure if it's Motorola or P25, just create one of each.

Additionally, if you're not familiar with the sound of these control channel signals, you can compare them to sounds on these sites:

W2SJW - Radio Sounds

Digital Modes Samples

Personally, I enjoy the hunt like this more than just routine day-to-day monitoring on existing stuff.

carmalegno

If you find a frequency that sounds like a control channel, just create a dummy system with that frequency and a wildcard object for talkgroups.

If you're not sure if it's Motorola or P25, just create one of each.

Additionally, if you're not familiar with the sound of these control channel signals, you can compare them to sounds on these sites:

W2SJW - Radio Sounds

Digital*Modes*Samples

Personally, I enjoy the hunt like this more than just routine day-to-day monitoring on existing stuff.

Exactly. That's what i've been doing all these times using other scanners.

The problem is, if it's a digital control channel, my TRX doesn't want to stop at it. It would just pass the frequency like there's nothing in it. If i try to tune it manually, i can see the "S" logo with 3 signal bar. And yes, I've set the IF output to both headphone and speaker.

If i program that CC frequency in a P25 system, it would follow the voice channel and decode it perfectly.

milcom_chaser

Exactly. That's what i've been doing all these times using other scanners.

The problem is, if it's a digital control channel, my TRX doesn't want to stop at it. It would just pass the frequency like there's nothing in it. If i try to tune it manually, i can see the "S" logo with 3 signal bar. And yes, I've set the IF output to both headphone and speaker.

If i program that CC frequency in a P25 system, it would follow the voice channel and decode it perfectly.

Why are you running the IF output through the speaker. Ouch, and loud. Unless your feeding into Unitrunker.

I don't believe Whistler radios actually "Trunk Track" like Uniden's do. So the solution of creating a dummy system with wildcard might be the way around this issue.

KLO5078

I understand your problem

Carmalegno- my Pro 96 and Pro 106 both stop on all control channels when using limit search and public safety search. My TRX 1 strolls right on by my local control channel. If I pause and step to it 5 bars appear but no sound. Not helpful if I would travel to an area and need to identify control channels to set up a system.
And yes...all updates installed.

carmalegno

Carmalegno- my Pro 96 and Pro 106 both stop on all control channels when using limit search and public safety search. My TRX 1 strolls right on by my local control channel. If I pause and step to it 5 bars appear but no sound. Not helpful if I would travel to an area and need to identify control channels to set up a system.
And yes...all updates installed.

Finally.. someone who's getting the same problem !

carmalegno

Why are you running the IF output through the speaker. Ouch, and loud. Unless your feeding into Unitrunker.

I don't believe Whistler radios actually "Trunk Track" like Uniden's do. So the solution of creating a dummy system with wildcard might be the way around this issue.

Because i want to know if the scanner is actually picking up something or filter things out. And yes, it does trunk tracking.

Status
Not open for further replies.