Searching for frequncies with SDS200

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldRabbit

I attempting to search for active frequencies using my new SDS200 using a custom search - in this case from 440 - 470 Mhz.

A custom search with these limits - and a delay time of 1 sec (which I do not understand) will search the frequency range - but the scanner stops on an active frequency and remains there as long as there is a carrier.

How do you make the scanner proceed after noting the frequency and possibly parameters of the signal ?

My goal is to gather a list of active frequencies for later analysis.

Update: Funny how I often find the answer right after asking - Found this in the 'Easier to Read SDS100/200 Digital Scanner Manual":

"Set Delay Time Determines how long the scanner waits after a transmission ends before resuming Quick Search and Close Call Search operations. A negative delay will force a resume after that number of seconds. The default setting is 2 seconds."

Regards

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I attempting to search for active frequencies using my new SDS200 using a custom search - in this case from 440 - 470 Mhz.

A custom search with these limits - and a delay time of 1 sec (which I do not understand) will search the frequency range - but the scanner stops on an active frequency and remains there as long as there is a carrier.

How do you make the scanner proceed after noting the frequency and possibly parameters of the signal ?

My goal is to gather a list of active frequencies for later analysis.

Update: Funny how I often find the answer right after asking - Found this in the 'Easier to Read SDS100/200 Digital Scanner Manual":

"Set Delay Time Determines how long the scanner waits after a transmission ends before resuming Quick Search and Close Call Search operations. A negative delay will force a resume after that number of seconds. The default setting is 2 seconds."

Regards
You also have the same 'log & resume' option with ProScan. You can set your 'negative delay' (that's the time period before ProScan tells the scanner to resume) for various times as well.

I use negative delay (when scanning normally, not searching) on one local automated (Locution) fire dispatch channel. It has a habit of getting stuck, and re-dispatching the same call, multiple times in a row.

Ubbe

I use a -10sec timer whenever I do searches. It will stay 10 sec and record all the parameters, even in encrypted systems, and then carry on its search.

/Ubbe

OldRabbit

I use negative delay (when scanning normally, not searching) on one local automated (Locution) fire dispatch channel. It has a habit of getting stuck, and re-dispatching the same call, multiple times in a row.

How do you enable that Resume/Scan/Search option in ProScan - can not locate it. Just have the Frequency tune/jump option.

Ha, I dared not click the x - in fear of loosing the dialog box, but did - twice - and the option appeare
Regards

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
How do you enable that Resume/Scan/Search option in ProScan - can not locate it. Just have the Frequency tune/jump option.

Ha, I dared not click the x - in fear of loosing the dialog box, but did - twice - and the option appeare
Regards
Yep, I had the same thought originally, till I clicked it again.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hi Steve,
You have any thoughts on how that can be improved.
The only suggestion that I'd make is that, if possible, instead of, basically 3 options (no extra menu, the sub menu for Freq, Tune, Jump (etc), or the "Freq" sub-menu along with the Resume module, just make it a one click option. Either 'off', with nothing else in that corner, or "On" with both the Tune & Resume options. The tendency, on most displays, is for two options. Either 'On' or 'Off'. So, the assumption at first glance would be either off, or 'on' for the Tune menu. The combined Tune & Resume combo is sort of an unexpected Easter egg. Once you realize it's there, then no problem, but it is sort of unexpected. There's nothing else occupying that section of the display, so it's not a lack of real estate to show it. I can see 'hiding' it to prevent unintended actions, but it is sort of an unexpected selection. Definitely not a deal killer, once you realize that there is a third choice. I know that there is the small corner icon (X for off, a single square for just the tune menu, and an 'open book' for displaying both the Tune & Resume choices, but depending on the size of the pc's display that is being used, it's not always obvious that there is more options.

I would note that using these sub-menus is easier than trying to replicate the same actions through the scanner's menu system, whether you are doing it straight on the scanner, or by accessing the functions using the virtual control.

OldRabbit

I have one feature request - that would be a huge benefit:

The ability to add a frequency to the database from the Recorder tab - not just the history grid.

This is how I currently work:
1. Do a FRQ range search, recording all hits.
2. Listen to each 10 second hit, deciding if it is audible or non-decoded/data. If audible, I like to add the FRQ to the favorite list. - To do this I have to remember the FRQ, go to the History Grid Log tab - and click the copy to DB button.

Would be a lot easier, if you could check a 'save to DB' checkbox, then batch add when done evaluating the hits. And .. Would love the ability to put a short comment on each recording before copying the FRQ to the DB - making the recording searchable in a database.

I am working on automating searching/scanning and exporting the results to a database (iBase) - and will also need to include recordings. There is no path to the recording in "Recording Grid Log.txt", but it looks like I might be able to assemble a path from the content of Recording Data.txt..

Status
Not open for further replies.